Mass Gainer Protein Shakes

Options
I was doing a lot of reading and research on mass gainers, and IMO they are BS fillers. There are few to none worth getting. Due to price and ingredients! My plans are just getting the cheap ON Whey, and making my own mass gainer with good clean carbs such as fruit and oats with some healthy fats thrown in as well. Opinions?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a plan to me?
  • andrewheppner1
    Options
    I tried a few different brands of gainers for a year and plateaued. Not really worth it compared to eating real food and having lots of fun with trying to make ultra-healthy super calorie shakes to add and maintain. I say go for it and have fun!
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My son plays football, he's an amazing player by the way, lol. He's 5'9" was 134 pounds at 12 years old. The weight limit for his age group is 150 pounds. He wanted to gain weight and be closer to that limit. I baught him Up your Mass by mhp.. With hard training( he's a little beast) he is up to 145 pounds with very little to nonfat gain in a matter of two to 3 weeks.. I believe its about 900 calories per serving with whole milk... I feel that its a good product, wouldn't use it, since I'm trying to lose, I do however take Bsn syntha 6, I use it when I'm short in my protein macros from food or usually post weight training. Love the taste lol.
  • TheMetalMan0
    TheMetalMan0 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I do the same. Protein powder, oats, milk, peanut butter/nutella = 1000 calorie shake easily.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    If you can actually eat your extra calories (rice, potatoes, etc...)
    Do that.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Yeah, BS.... 1- Eat the calories if possible, 2 - If looking for adding calories to a shake:
    Milk
    PB
    Banana's
    Oats

My PWO shake cover most of mine - Protein, Oats, Milk, Supps (Glutamine\Creatine), Psylum husks (Extra Fibre)
  • Snypa1
    Snypa1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You don't need weight gainer man. I drink one myself as I got it cheap of my sisters fella. I do however have boxes of cereal and jars of peanut butter in cupboard. Easy calories.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Weight gainers are mostly cheap protein and carbs and a HUGE scoop. Dial in your diet first and use standard protein shakes over them. Of all the supplements the WG are the least useful of all. Macdonald's is cheaper and about the same nutritional quality if you really just want to up your calories.
  • Legend1945
    Legend1945 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I follow lifters like Rich Pianas and my own trainer Mike O'hearns advice, eat big to get big, its calories in on the 40:40:20 ration that are the building blocks for healthy muscle growth. Powders just make it easy for someone with limited funds, and time.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Legend1945 wrote: »
    I follow lifters like Rich Pianas and my own trainer Mike O'hearns advice, eat big to get big, its calories in on the 40:40:20 ration that are the building blocks for healthy muscle growth. Powders just make it easy for someone with limited funds, and time.

Rich Pianas advice is good, especially if your on a steroid cycle , otherwise you'll just get fat...