Does going to gym =weight loss

Options
One of my co workers saw me running outside this morning.He asked me if I am trying to lose weight and that I don't need to lose.I then told that I enjoy exercising since it makes me feel great. Its hobby to me.

It seems like allot of people think that everyone who is going to gym is trying to lose weight. I do think exercise does help to create a calorie deficit but my weight loss sped up when I started counting calories.

I feel like diet is more important to weight loss.There times in the past when I would put on few lbs despite being active

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Some people at my gym seem to think that just by being there, they'll magically lose weight... Sitting on a bench or standing still on a treadmill, texting...

But yes- calorie deficit is most important. I don't know why he had to comment about that, though.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    blazepurr wrote: »
    Calorie defict = weightloss

This. Exercise=health and fitness, eating less=weight loss.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    80% + diet and deficit. Exercising can influence that, but when you see how much you burn for effort then you realise restricting consumption is easier. They work well together though.

Exercise is for fitness which has other important benefits.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Most people think that exercise is done to lose weight. An older woman at my previous gym would always say in passing "we do it because it works" regarding weight loss... Well she hadn't lost any visible weight the entire summer I was working out there, although she'd previosuly lost 100+ lbs. If exercise creates a deficit from your food intake, then it will help you lose. This is how I first lost weight. Now I am logging food so I don't have to work out like 8 hours a week and can eat whatever I want because I know how I'm supposed to eat for losses.
  • La5Vega5Girl
    La5Vega5Girl Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    if i do not go to the gym, i will gain. i had to quit my gym because we moved and i gained almost immediately after stopping. not only because i wasn't exercising and working-out, but also because my routine was interrupted and that meant my food intake changed and everything got out of sorts. i ended up eating the wrong foods at the wrong times of day, and before i knew it, i had gained 30 pounds. for me, going to the gym is an absolute must for weight loss. even if someone would consider it indirect.
    (*)
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    People work out because they like to stay fit. No one has to exercise to lose weight. It's really funny that your co-worker asked such a silly question.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Food for Fatness, Exorcize for Fitness!

Meaning, make a caloric deficit if you want to lose weight, and work out if you want to make your body strong.

But I like the first way I said it cause it's catchy! :smiley:
  • deathbyokapi
    deathbyokapi Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Plus, for some people, working out means gaining weight! Mostly, of course, I'm referring to people who are trying to bulk up muscle mass.
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    My super secret to successful weight loss is: Wait for it... Do not anticipate the secret... "Eat less. Move more." As others have mentioned, if you eat less calories than you burn in a day, you will lose weight. How you get to eating less calories or burning more is the more complicated question.

Let me start with the idea that losing weight isn't all that complicated. Take a diet like South Beach. Low fat and low carbs of a good kind is what you eat. Add a moderate amount of moving around like adding 8 walks of 45 minutes. You will lose weight fairly quickly. Losing the weight might be easy, but maintaining that weight loss in a body that over time has a slower metabolism is tough. Last time I tried that approach I lost 50 lbs. Guess what. 10 years later, I have that same 50 to lose.

Doing the same thing and expecting a different result is the definition of crazy. Since I know I can lose the 50lbs, that takes care of my first problem. However, since I want that 50lbs gone forever, I have a different approach.

Let's start with the losing weight. I went to my Fitness program at work and got an assessment. We then set up weekly weigh-ins. I started logging my food and water. I simply eat up to my limit. Since MFP gave me several hundred calories deficiet in my limits, if I do nothing else I will lose weight. I also added 7 bike rides of 45 minutes or longer to my week. Last week I almost spent 8 hours on the bike. Sometimes I go fast. Sometimes I ride with my wife and friend slowly. When I eat too much, I exercise more. So far, so good.

The issue that haunts me and drives me forward is the never getting this 50lbs back. My current plan is to log onto MFP for the rest of my life. I will also sign up for weekly weigh-ins at work for the rest of my working life. When I get to my final goal weight, I plan to work on toning up my muscle and trying to keep my fat percentage down.

Note: Nothing in this narrative indicates that I plan to become a gym rat. I don't actually go to the gym at all. My weight loss is tied to a calorie deficit. My fitness plan does not include anytime in the gym.
  • steff274
    steff274 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Initially I joined the gym to lose weight.. Now I go because I love it!! I have been struggling abit recently I had been maintaining for a while on the amount of calories I had been consuming then not quite sure why I started dropping!! :o now when you have nothing left to lose this can be abit scary :# my mum and my sister thought I had some sort of eating disorder.. I don't btw.. So I have changed my settings to very active and trying hard to get more in.. I have an active job I work with horses and go to the gym regularly I love being fit and active but need to make sure I now pack in enough calories ;)