Eating badly at night my biggest downfall! Any tips?

Options
Hello

I made some major life changes since February of this year and to date I have lost 23 pounds (yay!!!!!). I've eaten clean, following the Paleo way about 80% of the time, and I work out 4 times a week since July which makes me feel really really great and I really feel like I've achieved things I was never willing to do before. I put so much hard work in both in my diet during the day and my workouts but I really really let myself down at home at night. Its almost like a rebellious thing, like I do it because I shouldn't. I don't completely gorge but I will have something like half a can of soda or a packet of crisps or a few table spoons of icecream or a few sweets. I avoid all sugar during the day and I know that the sugar I'm consuming at night is wreaking havoc on all the hard work I do and I'm not feeding my body properly after my gym work. I have about 10/15 more pounds to go and this I believe is the reason why I'm slowing so much in getting to the shape I want.

Does anyone have any similar problem that they have been able to overcome? I'd love to hear any tips you might have. I tell myself everyday, I won't do it again, I leave the gym feeling amazing but 2 hours later I'm there having a nibble!!!

Replies

• pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi There,
    I totally understand the whole evening temptation thing, its a struggle, I have to allow into my calories during the day the fact i could be snacking later, so eat slightly less during the day. Now i often go to bed a lot earlier, so it has a double bonus, I am getting more sleep, as i was sleep deprived before, and also i cant snack when i am pushing out the ZZZZzz's :smiley:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Half a can of soda? If you can spare the 70 calories I don't see what the issue is. I was going to say to keep working on lower calorie items and recipes that would satisfy you but when I've done that, my snacks come up to ~300 calories lol. I usually just drink some water now and go to sleep or even nothing, but if I want a little something at night I don't deprive myself, just try to make the calories fit like any other time of the day.

If your weight loss is slower, it's either because you're overall smaller which means you generally can create less of a deficit, or you may be eating more than you think. If you're not measuring your food on a food scale you may wish to start because it could be an easy way to find a couple hundred calories that estimation may tend to hide
  • Bikinithissummer
    Bikinithissummer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know, I would have thought I was a crazy person this time last year complaining about having half a can of soda lol. I used to eat so much crap!

I think its more the sugar thing. I don't really count calories any more, I just make sure to eat clean the other hours of the day (fruit, veg and meat, I don't do carbs). After I work out I'm good to have my post workout meal (I'm trying to build a little more muscle at the moment to burn more fat). The sugar hits I'm giving myself though are totally counterproductive because my body will hit into burning that instead of burning from my fat stores (of which I still have plenty!).

I love that I know all of this yet still nibble away every night and feel like rubbish afterwards!

Going to bed earlier would be a great solution but I'm in a long distance relationship and he's a few hours behind me so its late when we talk. Maybe I have the sugar because I'm not getting the cuddles lol

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Doesn't matter where your calories come from - if you eat less than your body burns, you'll lose weight. So let's say for the sake of argument that your body burns the sugar first. Oooooh! 70 calories. But then I'm guessing you need more than that to keep you going in a standard oh, hour. And now you're back to burning fat stores.

If what you're really looking for is options for avoiding sugar, I guess I can't really help cos I love the stuff and it can be part of a reduced calorie diet
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter where your calories come from - if you eat less than your body burns, you'll lose weight. So let's say for the sake of argument that your body burns the sugar first. Oooooh! 70 calories. But then I'm guessing you need more than that to keep you going in a standard oh, hour. And now you're back to burning fat stores.

If what you're really looking for is options for avoiding sugar, I guess I can't really help cos I love the stuff and it can be part of a reduced calorie diet

This...sugar is not evil and it alone doesn't make you gain weight...too much of anything will make you gain.

I have a can of diet coke and a chocolate bar everynight and have since I realized it was being in a deficit and not giving up my favorite foods..and it hasn't stopped my weight loss...note ticker below.

If you aren't logging anymore accept that you probably will gain weight again...just sayin'

45561484.png

• Bikinithissummer
    Options
    I'm still logging but because I'm eating well, I'm usually in and about my daily calorie limit and nutrition goals. I'm thinking of printing out a picture of my fatter self and stick it on the fridge from 8pm onwards....

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I know, I would have thought I was a crazy person this time last year complaining about having half a can of soda lol. I used to eat so much crap!

I think its more the sugar thing. I don't really count calories any more, I just make sure to eat clean the other hours of the day (fruit, veg and meat, I don't do carbs). After I work out I'm good to have my post workout meal (I'm trying to build a little more muscle at the moment to burn more fat). The sugar hits I'm giving myself though are totally counterproductive because my body will hit into burning that instead of burning from my fat stores (of which I still have plenty!).

I love that I know all of this yet still nibble away every night and feel like rubbish afterwards!

Going to bed earlier would be a great solution but I'm in a long distance relationship and he's a few hours behind me so its late when we talk. Maybe I have the sugar because I'm not getting the cuddles lol

Ah so this quote from you ???? guess you didn't mean that...

• Bikinithissummer
    Options
    I'm not very consistent on myfitnesspal, but I keep a food diary every week that my personal trainer and reviews through dropbox. And just like in school I hate getting red marks on it.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with sugar. If you're not counting calories then this is irrelevant, but if you are, pre-log so you have room. If the soda is bothering you, try sparkling water. You get the same bang of fizz, with no calories or nasty aftertaste.
  • SlimMe37
    SlimMe37 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you're craving sweet things in the evening then it's because you aren't having them in the day. Sugar isn't bad for you. I snack in the evenings too. I just try to fit it into my calories for the day. Nothing wrong with snacking.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I had a very similar reaction when I tried to go paleo. When I unnecessary limited foods I loved, I found out I was splurging a lot. That is why i dropped paleo and now try to get 80-90% of my diet from nutrient dense foods and still work in the treat.

Second, if you are actually trying to build muscle, then sugar isn't a bad thing. Building muscle is all about calories.... and you need to eat a surplus to gain muscle. Personally, when I bulk, i tend to add in more treats because its not very easy to hit 3500 calories on a very clean diet.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    What time's your last meal? How about splitting your dinner into two servings and having one the time you usually crave a snack?
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    FibroGurl wrote: »
    If you're craving sweet things in the evening then it's because you aren't having them in the day. Sugar isn't bad for you. I snack in the evenings too. I just try to fit it into my calories for the day. Nothing wrong with snacking.

Completely agree with most of the posts above.... there is NOTHING wrong with having a little treat in the evenings as long as it fits your cals. Im doing IIFYM most days too, and even with this, as long as it fits into my macros, i will let myself have it. It is this whole mindset of "I CANT have this" that makes people fall off the wagon. Before i started using MFP, I honestly used to think, "Ahhhh *kitten*, I've had a bag of skittles, so sod it, I may as well get two bags of crisps, a cheese croissant and a chocolate bag on my way home, cos I've messed up my day anyway". Complete restriction is one of the main drivers of binges in my opinion!!

Therefore, pretty much every day I will have a "treat" after my dinner, whether it be a light hot chocolate, two squares of 70% chocolate, or 100g of frozen yogurt. Additionally, knowing yI have something tasty that I love to look forward to at night makes me infinitely less likely to have anything crazy during the day.