Filling, low calorie snack ideas anyone? :-)

Options
DaniJeanine
DaniJeanine Posts: 473 Member
I feel like I need new filling low calorie snack ideas....that seems to be my downfall. I have a great breakfast/lunch and all of a sudden I'm starving and nervous to over-eat during my "snack time". What do you do between lunch and dinner?

Replies

• RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    greek yogurt with honey or fruit! :)
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I try to never go more than four hours without having something to eat, so I always plan a snack at about 3:00 to 4:00 pm. It is usually greek yogurt with blueberries or an apple and a packet of low sodium tuna.
  • amo62
    amo62 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    fat free yoghurts? Sugar free jelly (jello)? Water and low cal squash or low cal diet drink ice lollies? rice cakes...:flowerforyou:
  • pocketsam
    pocketsam Posts: 134
    Options
    First off I drink some water or a green tea to check whether or not I am actually hungry.

But generally Bananas, Apples, Nairns oat cakes, rice cakes with PB, rice cakes with marshmallow fluff. Dried Banana chips - not massively low cal but better than a choc bar! I often have a mix of dried fruit and almonds but although they are great for you - they whack up your cals quickly!

Hope something in there is useful to you! xxx
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt - great answer! Also, I like reduced fat string cheese. If I'm REALLY hungry, I'll eat 1/2 of a protein bar. But anything that packs a lot of protein for the calories in it, will help curb your hunger til your next meal.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Snacks?

Rice cakes with spready cheese, humous and carrots, hard boiled egg, wasabi peas, almonds, cheese stick, crab sticks, parma ham, roasted soy beans, celery sticks with peanut butter...
  • achmatov
    achmatov Posts: 4
    Options
    some chicken breast filets in stripes flavored with salz, pepper, paprika pulver.
    tastes like chips has low calorie
  • Ferrea
    Ferrea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really love those 100 calorie bags of popcorn! They have a decent amount of fiber and the relatively large volume makes it more mentally satisfying for me because I feel like I'm eating more than if I eat a single compact thing like a granola bar.
  • PrairieRoseNE
    PrairieRoseNE Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    How about a small handful of almonds or walnuts?? Nuts seem to satisfy me and the crunch factor is good too!! Especially if you eat them just one at a time!

I also try to keep fresh fruit handy at work, such as bananas, apples, oranges or pears. At home I like frozen fruit as a snack - frozen banana slices or chunks of honeydew & cantelope. Frozen seedless grapes are awesome too. And lately I've been on a frozen blueberries kick - 1 cup plus a tiny bit of sweetener - YUM
  • chattygirl2
    chattygirl2 Posts: 103
    Options
    I have a salad or some popcorn. Maybe some tuna and a few crackers, I like the Townhouse flatbreads!!
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My favorite snacks include a Vitatop (100 cals), 2.5 oz chunk light tuna mixed with 2 tbsp of salsa spread between two rice cakes (130 cals total), freeze dried fruit (which is strictly dried fruit, no added ingredients like sugar), 100 calorie packs of Emerald's cocoa roasted almonds, one thomas light english muffin (they are super high in fiber!) w/1 tbsp of better 'n peanut butter (150 cals total)...and the list goes on
  • DaniJeanine
    Options
    I forgot how filling popcorn is!! I love the frozen fruit idea too...I think the key is having something that lasts a couple minutes--when I eat a banana I end up feeling like, ok...now what? hahaha
  • Jdiptee
    Jdiptee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    if it's available...u can blend (or do prehand) a shake...eg 1 cup 35 cal almond milk + 1 protein scoop powder + 1 tablespn P btr + handful of ice (optional: some vanilla essence to taste) = approx 275cal and is a HUGE shake that will fill u up!!
  • Jdiptee
    Jdiptee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    mixed nuts are really high cal for the amt of filling u get... :(
  • DaniJeanine
    Options
    if it's available...u can blend (or do prehand) a shake...eg 1 cup 35 cal almond milk + 1 protein scoop powder + 1 tablespn P btr + handful of ice (optional: some vanilla essence to taste) = approx 275cal and is a HUGE shake that will fill u up!!

awesome!