Seasonal Affective Disorder

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Creatine, really? I had no idea. Interesting.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I also deal with SAD. Running has done a lot to mitigate my symptoms, so I'm scared to stop running.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Exercise, vitamins B12 and D3, and daily walks outside during daylight (even when it was wicked cold) helped me. Had no idea about creatine... will need to check that out!
  • Lumpy52403
    Lumpy52403 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Good suggestions! My Mom has struggled with SAD for years.
  • BringingSherriBack
    Options
    I've never been officially diagnosed either, but I definitely suffer from winter blues. I've found the exercise helps as does just keeping busy with cleaning and the like (think cleaning closets, shampooing carpets, etc) just anything not to spend the winter on the couch. Also trying to caught a few rays everyday. This is hard when you work inside, but I find a walk outside during my lunch helps. I've found if I don't stay busy then all I want to do is sleep.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to see this. I already take a daily Vitamin D supplement, and do plan to keep working out this winter even when it's too cold/snowy for a good run now that I have a gym membership. I was not aware that Creatine would help though, so I am glad to learn that. Looking forward to slamming through winter, because quite frankly, I love Spring.
  • Maryam2014mfp
    Options
    Bump
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    This works for me:

- 15 minutes a day in the morning with my sun lamp. The first year I did this I saw remarkable effects. It suppresses melatonin in the morning, resulting in energy for the day. I remember on dreary dark November, going outside into the rain and clouds and feeling like I was outside on a sunny day.
    - some years I go on a Mexico vacation in October
    - I plant peas in February to trick my mind
    - I rearrange my schedule in Jan/Feb so that I am not driving to AND from work in the dark every day, if I can.
    - I run outside in the rain, this makes a big difference.
    - I keep my weight down, carrying extra weight deters my energy.
    - I look for early spring flowers. Once the daffodils are up, I'm fine.
    - for me, self-awareness is key.
  • MississippiMama87
    MississippiMama87 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    While some people look forward to fall many of us dread the changing of the seasons. It's not the cold weather that we dread, it's the seasonal depression that sets in from fall to spring. I've suffered from SAD since I was very young. Only in the last few years have I found ways to boost my mood without prescription medication. I thought I would share some of these with you and see what works for others.

1. Exercise! Lifting weights leaves me feeling good long after the session is over. It also helps with those few extra pounds I tend to gain over the holidays and regulates my appetite better.
    2. Creatine. There have been clinical trials that have shown creatine helps improve depression, especially in women. We can get creatine from food, but I just add a scoop of a creatine supplement (which are fairly cheap) to my coffee in the morning.
    3. Vitamin D. My Vitamin D levels tend to be very low, even during the summer. Taking a supplement for it takes the edge off of the depressed feelings.
    4. Light therapy. I used to use a tanning bed to get light exposure during the winter, but I've switched to a desk top lamp. A few minutes in the morning helps how I feel the rest of the day.

Anyone else have things that work for them?

All of these. I used to do the tanning bed for light exposure too.

Above all I've found that just staying active/involved helps tremendously. Everyone needs those lazy days on the couch every once in a while but I tend to stay more motivated and happy when I'm active. Sometimes thats as simple as taking on an indoor project or baking cookies with my daughter.

YES! Just having something to do helps. If I spend most of my days stuck to the couch it is much worse. Even baking and cleaning help. I don't need to spring clean anymore because I deep clean in winter.

This! My house is spotless during the winter....gotta keep my mind and body busy. If I don't, that dreaded homesick-type feeling creeps back in and once it starts, is almost impossible to shake.

Thanks for posting this!
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I've never been officially diagnosed either, but I definitely suffer from winter blues. I've found the exercise helps as does just keeping busy with cleaning and the like (think cleaning closets, shampooing carpets, etc) just anything not to spend the winter on the couch. Also trying to caught a few rays everyday. This is hard when you work inside, but I find a walk outside during my lunch helps. I've found if I don't stay busy then all I want to do is sleep.

I'm going to try the cleaning thing this winter too.
  • mamaoftwins9197
    mamaoftwins9197 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    On top of SAD, I also have dysthimic depression (mild, chronic depression). I take Lexapro and it really helps. Exercise definitely helps as well, when I can get motivated to do it. Making sure that I don't get overly tired is really helpful too. I've been thinking about a light box for years. I guess I should probably do it, because this year is supposed to be especially bad in the mid-atlantic.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." - Rogers Hornsby

I love this quote in the context of SAD. I think you posted something similar last winter. I get it, Fall is a great season around here. The temps are nice, the air is less humid, which leads to more spectacular sunsets/sunrises. But I have this foreboding in the back of my mind of the coming short days and cold weather that I feel keeps me from enjoying this short season as much as I should.

I don't think I have SAD as bad as some. I'm usually good until after the holidays are over. But then I do obsessive things like; I always look at solar tables and obsess about the length of daylight to those close to me. There's about 6-7 weeks between early January - to late February/early March that I really fight it. After the 2nd week of March there's enough daylight that I snap out of it.

I agree with others. Stay active, bundle up and go outside regardless of weather, set goals. It all helps, and just know you're not alone.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I have not been diagnosed but I too suffer from this. I I find my winter blues like the Dementors in Harry Potter.. Sucks all the light and warmness out of the world and leaves you feeling empty. cold and sad.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    "People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." - Rogers Hornsby

I love this quote in the context of SAD. I think you posted something similar last winter. I get it, Fall is a great season around here. The temps are nice, the air is less humid, which leads to more spectacular sunsets/sunrises. But I have this foreboding in the back of my mind of the coming short days and cold weather that I feel keeps me from enjoying this short season as much as I should.

I don't think I have SAD as bad as some. I'm usually good until after the holidays are over. But then I do obsessive things like; I always look at solar tables and obsess about the length of daylight to those close to me. There's about 6-7 weeks between early January - to late February/early March that I really fight it. After the 2nd week of March there's enough daylight that I snap out of it.

I agree with others. Stay active, bundle up and go outside regardless of weather, set goals. It all helps, and just know you're not alone.

I did post something similar last winter :smile: I bring it up again because it is nice to know we aren't alone. Also, awareness is very important. It's easy to slip into the depression without realizing what's going on. If we are proactive about treating it from the beginning it's easier than suddenly realizing the depression has set in. An ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Bumping to find more suggestions...I work out year round, and try to get outside as often as I can, even when it's freezing...

I haven't read all the way through, but other things I do are to create rituals for inside (whereas in the summer I am reading or surfing the web outside on the deck in the evenings, and spend most of my leisure time out of doors); I like a soak in the tub with some Netflix, a nightly cup of home blended herbal tea (I like St. John's wort, mint, and white tea together). And while these things often help, it doesn't take the sting out of the end of what I fruitlessly hope is a long summer.

We are having our first cool day today, and I am SO bummed.

It is like this every year, and I get out of whack when the days get shorter. I love everything about summer, so yeah. Today kind of sucks, but it's nice to know that there are a lot of others out there that feel the same...

Thanks for posting this!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Bumping to find more suggestions...I work out year round, and try to get outside as often as I can, even when it's freezing...

I haven't read all the way through, but other things I do are to create rituals for inside (whereas in the summer I am reading or surfing the web outside on the deck in the evenings, and spend most of my leisure time out of doors); I like a soak in the tub with some Netflix, a nightly cup of home blended herbal tea (I like St. John's wort, mint, and white tea together). And while these things often help, it doesn't take the sting out of the end of what I fruitlessly hope is a long summer.

We are having our first cool day today, and I am SO bummed.

It is like this every year, and I get out of whack when the days get shorter. I love everything about summer, so yeah. Today kind of sucks, but it's nice to know that there are a lot of others out there that feel the same...

Thanks for posting this!

I also find routines to be helpful. I set goals for myself on Monday morning and try to stick to them over the course of the week so that I don't end up just lying on the sofa watching Netflix.

I'm also a painter so getting myself to paint is important-- it can get a lot of negative feelings out as well as brightening my space and keeping me busy.
  • smfh
    smfh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ShellyAnn46
    ShellyAnn46 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    10 years I have been on this depression/SAD train. So comparing 10 yrs ago to now - I will say my learned behaviors for winter are LIVE and FIGHT everyday with all the conviction you have. Fall/Winter is as beautiful as our other seasons if not more so. Fresh crisp leaves, fresh fallen snow, apple cinnamon cider, hot cocoa, running through the russle of leaves, shoveling those pillowy clouds glistening snow, thankful can get outdoors even in the chilly autumn air or 15 below cold. I bundle up and GET OUT!!! I have learned one or two techniques don't carry me through. I do a combination of my light, I color (yes crayons & color books can take you to bright places everyday), EXERCISE, EXERCISE, EXERCISE, weight lifting also makes me feel strong even in the those dark months when we can feel weak. And of course FOOD --- eat the most healthiest you can!!!!!!!

USMCMP thanks for posting --- talking & sharing is what we need to do. No one has to suffer alone!!!!!
  • Monnik73
    Monnik73 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    This is a great topic. Thanks for the info! I have never been diagnosed either, but I do have terrible winter blues. I get so down when it's dark in the mornings and evenings on my commute.

We had an abnormally frigid winter last year (even for Iowa, where it gets COLD!) and they're predicting the same for this year, along with more snowfall. Ugh.

I've never done anything for SAD, but I think I'll look into the vitamin D and I am definitely planning to keep up with exercise. I like the cleaning idea too - sometimes it's easy to get overwhelmed by it all and just curl up under a blanket, which actually makes it worse for me.
  • marshallexi
    marshallexi Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Extra vitamin D has very little effect on my SAD, I was a bit disappointed! I have a light box and 20 minutes per day on that makes a difference.

I recently purchased a Lumie Alarm Clock, which simulates sunrises and that has made a HUGE difference. I don't need a noise alarm anymore, the light wakes me up gradually and by the time it's at full brightness my bedroom is fully lit like daylight. The sunsets are lovely to fall asleep to too.

I've been recommended this clock for years and I kept putting it off, thinking it wouldn't make a difference - how wrong I was!