do i need to train abs to get them

Options
Hello I wanted to ask do i need to train abs in order for me to get them. I am cutting right now. I know you cant target bodyfat and im not asking that im asking do i need to build my abs then when the bodyfat strips the abs will appear or can i just loose fat and they will appear

Replies

• idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Abs are about like any other muscle...you can make them bigger. It depends on your body. If you've never cut down to see what kind of core you have, then you don't really know what kind of abs will pop out. It never hurts to do ab workouts, as having a strong core is important.

Best of luck.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    i found big compound lifts with a barbell really helped my abs (after body fat was low enough).

for most males, abs should start showing around 10-12% when flexing, and by 7-8% should be showing when not flexed, but this is not an exact science. just an average/estimate.

so if you are still up in the 15% or higher range, you will need to keep cutting. But keep training and if you don't do the compound lifts yet i'd highly recommend switching to a program that incorporates them.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Depends... some people are more predisposed to having thicker abs without having to work them directly. They'll show once you're at a lower body fat generally speaking, but some out there will need some additional hypertrophy to get them to "pop".