How many calories burned standing?

Options
I teach all day and most of the time I'm standing. I was wondering if anyone knows how many calories are burned standing and talking all day?

Replies

• tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    What did you set your daily activity level at, like I set mine for very active since I work at a NH and i'm always walking and pushing wheelchairs so I dont count any of that as my daily exercise.
  • Go_Lise
    Go_Lise Posts: 151
    Options
    I didn't take the standing/my job into account when I set my daily activity. But I was just asking out of curiosity.
  • tritta01
    tritta01 Posts: 311
    Options
    Oh ok I guess I dont know, hope you find your answer
  • beechick
    Options
    Also work where I stand and walk around, I'm a classroom aid so I do over 10,000 steps a day, have my activity set to sedentary and count every 2000 steps as 100 calories burned.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I teach all day and most of the time I'm standing. I was wondering if anyone knows how many calories are burned standing and talking all day?

change your activity level from sedentary to light active. the difference between your calories burned from daily activity between the 2 options would be an estimate of the # of cals you burn standing all day.
  • TheEnchantedMoose
    Options
    Calorie burn rate varies from person to person, men generally have a higher rate of calorie burn when doing nothing than women and larger people have a higher rate as well. MFP has a BMR calculator (this is located under tools and then BMR). This tells you how many calories you would burn if you did nothing every day, just divide this by 24 and you get a burn rate per hour. So standing should not burn that many more calories than sitting, this should give you a rough estimate.
    Hope this helps.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Also work where I stand and walk around, I'm a classroom aid so I do over 10,000 steps a day, have my activity set to sedentary and count every 2000 steps as 100 calories burned.

Not sure if you should do that as at least 3000-5000 steps would be accounted for if you just sedentary as you do have to do some walking during the day. Maybe do your calculation for every 2000, you take over 4000 or so, if not some of those cals are going to be double counted.
  • erickirb
    Options
    Calorie burn rate varies from person to person, men generally have a higher rate of calorie burn when doing nothing than women and larger people have a higher rate as well. MFP has a BMR calculator (this is located under tools and then BMR). This tells you how many calories you would burn if you did nothing every day, just divide this by 24 and you get a burn rate per hour. So standing should not burn that many more calories than sitting, this should give you a rough estimate.
    Hope this helps.

I think doing this calculation with maintenance calories would be more accurate because even sitting you are burning more than BMR calories.
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is really sort of a negligible question, you really should just change your activity level to lightly active or active, you shouldnt be counting it as "exercise"
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options

change your activity level from sedentary to light active. the difference between your calories burned from daily activity between the 2 options would be an estimate of the # of cals you burn standing all day.

I totally agree
  • beechick
    Options

Not sure if you should do that as at least 3000-5000 steps would be accounted for if you just sedentary as you do have to do some walking during the day. Maybe do your calculation for every 2000, you take over 4000 or so, if not some of those cals are going to be double counted.

I will start taking that into account...If I count steps over the week end and then deduct for the work and college days maybe that should be more accurate. Your thoughts?
  • NWfluffy
    NWfluffy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is really sort of a negligible question, you really should just change your activity level to lightly active or active, you shouldnt be counting it as "exercise"

I'm looking for this number because when I judge swim meets I stand at the end of the lane. Sometimes it's for as much as 3 or 4 hours in a day. I don't walk, so no steps are counted, but I'm definitely expending energy.