paleo

Options
was wondering if anyone has tried paleo and what there results were? I have the last 10lbs to get rid of and have been struggling with bloating I am wondering if this would be a good tweak to my diet?

Replies

• AcademicusMaximus
    Options
    Um paleo to the extent that you are eating whole foods which are nutrient dense and not processed is good for your overall health.

Paleo to the extent that is low carb is most likely not the answer to losing your last 10.

While it is true that if you are extremely low in Body Fat (under 10%). You may need to do a low carb cycle to get down below 10. But lets be real here, if your aren't a professional BB who is NATURAL u don't need sub 10% bodyfat.

If your weight loss plateaued you need to either reset your leptin levels with a refeed day (a high carb day) or you need to cut back your calories further. But if you feel week or fatigued its because your hormones are out of whack from your current long running calorie deficit. Eat at your maintainence for a week or two, reset your hormones and then start your diet again. It is difficult for your body to lose weight constantly and it will start shutting down from the stress and increased cortisol

Overall paleo is cool. But you don't need to go paleo to get your ideal body. Eating whole foods is never a bad idea though and your overall health will benefit from it, paleo or not
  • shelbz123
    shelbz123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I eat whole unprocessed foods for the most part of my diet. I do eat whole grains and lots of sweet potatoes . I try not to yoyo with my diet to much but feel like I am constantly struggling. some days I feel great some days I feel supeer bloated and don't know why
  • AcademicusMaximus
    Options
    Try to determine what is making you feel bloated. It COULD be a gluten sensitivity. Your doctor can help determine that. But he will probably tell you what I'm telling your. Cut out all gluten food then reintroduce them one by one slowly and see what is making your feel bloated.

If you are gluten sensitive paleo could be right for you.

However feeling bloated isn't why you aren't losing weight. Although it could negatively effect your hormones which would hinder weight loss.
  • shelbz123
    shelbz123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    how should I go about balancing my hormones naturally?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't consider dropping all grains, potatoes, dairy, and legumes a "tweak" to my diet, and for me it wouldn't be helpful in losing weight, as I rely a lot on dairy as a source of reasonably low calorie protein and don't really tend to overeat the other foods, but I don't think it's harmful to try it if you want. Sometimes experimenting with my diet can help with motivation because I get excited about trying new healthy recipes and so on, and IME motivation is part of the issue with the last few pounds, since it's hard to care as much or at least feel it's as urgent. (But maybe that's just me.)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Generally any tweak that contains a deficit works pretty well.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Re: the bloating - when three folks in my family were having food issues, but we didn't know to what, we just dropped the 8 most common allergens. They seem to be common problem foods in general. So we dropped wheat (gluten, in our case), dairy, soy, peanuts, tree nut, shellfish, and fish.

Doing this, you pretty much have to start cooking things from scratch, and from whole foods. It's a PAIN. However, it also may help you figure out what's causing the bloating (the bloating either goes away and you slowly reintroduce foods and find out what's wrong, or because you are making things from scratch, you have fewer ingredients per meal and have a better chance of figuring it out).

And...it's such a pain that seriously, you don't over eat. You start thinking things like: I can eat this second helping now, or I can save it and I won't have to cook for lunch tomorrow. Many times, you will choose to not have to cook.

And that part of things can often help lose those last 10 pounds. :-)