Hard being the only one being healthy

Options
charrcharr13
charrcharr13 Posts: 2 Member
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
I've lost about 25 pounds in the last 4 months. I'm back at college and my motivation and determination are still high and I love the process. I've just found it hard to be the only person wanting to constantly workout and eat right. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with this? I don't want to let the people I live with get in the way of my dreams, even though they support me they're not on this journey with me. How do you deal with being the only one going through a major change? Need some support, thanks!

Replies

• Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    It's really hard. That's why I joined this site, because I have no one in my life to go through this with. I have friends that go on bike rides or hikes with me, but it's purely for fun to them, not exercise.

We just have to do what's best for ourselves. Maybe you can get your friends on board somehow.
  • shellbellv12
    shellbellv12 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thankfully I live alone but no one I know either needs to eat to lose weight or is outdoorsy and active that I can join in with. I'm failed many times in the past getting sucked in by everyone else, this time I'm going it completely alone relying on no one so all I have to blame is me if it doesn't work but it will because I'm super determined! I made a Just Giving page and asked everyone to sponsor me to lose weight to raise money for local disabled youths and that has really inspired me to keep strong and give me a reason to stay accountable. Sounds like that's not your issue though. I think if you stay on the right path you will start attracting similar minded people :smile:
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Well first you have to figure out what you're finding to be difficult. We don't move through life in a group - your life will not always be where everyone else's life is at. What will you do then?

Figure out what you find difficult and make changes to fix that.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I fuel my fire by silently judging them, what with their oreos and love handles and whatnot.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    I fuel my fire by silently judging them, what with their oreos and love handles and whatnot.
    :D that's hilarious!

What I found when I was at uni was that I made friends in the student gym and the swimming pool. Find yourself like minded people. I'm not saying ignore your current friends particularly if you live with them. But by having like minded friends you can vent some frustrations or if it gets really tough go to the gym or ask a like minded person if they fancy a walk/swim/work out session to get out of the house. If your current friends are aware of what you are doing, they will understand if you disappear to the gym for an hour instead.
  • charrcharr13
    charrcharr13 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everyone! That's all very helpful. :)