Im on a plateau what can I do?

Options
Ive hit a weight loss plateau and im wondering what kind of tricks people use to get off of it. I think im going to switch up my exercise today but it doesnt really make sense that i would be on a plateau because I still have so much to lose! Please help! Its been around 2 weeks and im going up not down.

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    There are no tricks. Eat less. If you've stopped losing weight, you aren't in a deficit. A plateau is just a word for "I think I'm going everything right, but I'm actually not". When you lose weight, your body needs less calories. You may need to adjust your goal.

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Not losing for 2 weeks is not a plateau. Give it a few more weeks. Body fluctuations are normal and could last a few weeks.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    AliUnrau wrote: »
    Ive hit a weight loss plateau and im wondering what kind of tricks people use to get off of it. I think im going to switch up my exercise today but it doesnt really make sense that i would be on a plateau because I still have so much to lose! Please help! Its been around 2 weeks and im going up not down.

2 weeks isn't a plateau. Gaining weight isn't a plateau.

If you are gaining weight, you're eating too many calories. Either you're not logging your intake accurately or you're overestimating how much you burn.

Try accurately logging everything you eat using a food scale, not measuring cups. Only eat back half of the calories that MFP gives you. Do that for a month. If you're not losing weight after that, then reevaluate your calorie goal.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Try cutting back on your sodium intake. :)
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Branstin wrote: »
    Not losing for 2 weeks is not a plateau. Give it a few more weeks. Body fluctuations are normal and could last a few weeks.
    Agreed, and neither is weight gain.

Weight fluctuations are totally normal - I go up and down easily 5lbs or more throughout the month and call it maintaining. My clothes still fit the same, I'm still the same size depsite scale increases of 5lbs or more.

Do you take measurements as well as weighing yourself? If not, start. Often you see progress on the tape when the scale is busy messing with your head.

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Also...be careful when eating back exercise calories. You have days where you have 1700, 1800 extra calories earned from exercise. Those are HUGE burns and it's possible they're over estimated.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    AliUnrau wrote: »

That's not a plateau, that's impatience. Two weeks is not enough time to gauge whether your plan is working. ;):)

The reason you are not losing weight is because you are eating too much. While there are medical conditions that can affect weight loss, the number one cause of weight gain is too much food consumption.

Do you weigh your solid food, measure your liquids, and log everything you eat? Are you ensuring you are using correct food entries? Many of the MFP food entries are not accurate. Research, research, research! Read packages too.

Do you log your exercise calories? The MFP database and other internet sources are not accurate on those either. Make sure you either log only about 75% of those, or eat back only 75%.

Edited to add: I see you have lost 41 pounds. Congratulations! I see someone else posted that you have extremely high calorie burns. You might want to take a look at those.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Normally I would say try a new exercise but you already have so many calories from workouts. What do you typically do in a week?
  • AliUnrau
    AliUnrau Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    thanks everybody for the constructive/ helpful criticism. Typically in a week I do a lot of leslie sansone walking videos (the long fast ones. sometimes 2-3 times a day) I just started doing my 30 Day Shred again today so im hoping that will help me. I never eat back my exercise calories because i know that MFP calorie burn estimation is way over the top. Also my fitbit has been screwing up my MFP calories cuz it adds calories burned even when it shouldnt. (i have already complained to fitbit about that)

I try to weigh myself only once a week just to keep myself in check. Maybe it is sodium intake. Ill re-evaluate my calorie goal on here. thank you all for your help :smiley:
  • lumatokyo
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Branstin wrote: »
    Agreed, and neither is weight gain.

Weight fluctuations are totally normal - I go up and down easily 5lbs or more throughout the month and call it maintaining. My clothes still fit the same, I'm still the same size depsite scale increases of 5lbs or more.

Do you take measurements as well as weighing yourself? If not, start. Often you see progress on the tape when the scale is busy messing with your head.

I agree with this, measurements often mean more than the scale does!
  • AliUnrau
    AliUnrau Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Yes i do take measurements