PCOS

Options
Hey,

I was diagnosed with mild PCOS in second year college and have suffered with it since. I had irregular periods which are slowly but surely getting better, I have hair loss, spots, excess hair, and I am slightly overweight.

Last week I started my diet and weighed 10 stone 7 ib. I have measured myself today and down to 10 stone 1 1b, though today had a bit of a cheat day.

Is there any advise on how to control pcos?

Replies

• Andela87
    Andela87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Hey there! :smile:

I was diagnosed with PCOS several years ago. I have acne, skin tags, hirsutism, insulin resistance, non-existent periods and am overweight by a good 50 lbs or so. It's been an up and down road for me, but I've just recently started taking things more seriously and trying to get in better shape.

I've heard weight loss helps improve your symptoms. Even with the small amounts of weight I lose (10 lbs or so) I do notice a difference in my skin; I haven't, however, noticed a difference in the other symptoms (yet!). Unfortunately, with PCOS weight loss is a really difficult thing to do. If you are trying to lose weight, cut back on processed carbs, count your calories, and make sure you're exercising!

Are you on medications? There are quite a few different ones that will help control your hormones - most common is the birth control pill. I was on Dianette when I was first diagnosed and I noticed a definite improvement in my excess hair and acne. Unfortunately I had to switch my BCP to one with a lower hormone dose, and don't really noticed much improvement now.

Metformin is commonly prescribed to those that also suffer from insulin resistance (they often go hand-in-hand). It helps your insulin function properly which can help you lose weight. It is also supposed to help regulate your hormones. However, a lot of people (myself included) don't stomach it very well and there are a lot of possible side effects.

If you're looking for something more natural, I've heard good things about Saw Palmetto, which you can find in pretty much any drug store, though I have never tried it myself.

Being overweight is the symptom of the most consequence in my opinion because it can lead to so many other health problems. I would focus on getting to a healthy weight first and foremost, and then if your other symptoms haven't improved work on them.

It's definitely tough, but stick in there! In the end, what you gain will far exceed what you have lost :smile:

I'm pretty active on here (though I mostly lurk in the forums), so feel free to friend me for motivation, to compare success stories, to commiserate, etc :flowerforyou:
  • Sameeraaaxx
    Sameeraaaxx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Heyyy :)

I was on Dianette for a while when I was first diagnosed with PCOS however was told that it could affect fertility in the long run so completely came off it.

I've always been slightly up and down with weight, but as of 3 weeks ago attempted to diet- Lost 8 or so pounds as of Friday. Not sure how much Ill have put on after a day full of unlimited eating yesterday!

My symptoms of PCOS are most obviously being slightly bigger than your average!- though I've apparently got my weight a reasonable amount as Im not longer classed as overweight. I aimed to loose a stone at first however would like to get down to 9 stone as im pretty short and don't carry weight well.

How did you cope with the hair loss? I use to have such thick hair and its slowly but surely all going!

:)
  • Andela87
    Andela87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I think I got kind of lucky with the hair loss. I've always had a lot of hair, so while I can definitely tell it's thinning down just by the thickness of my ponytail, most people don't really notice. I started Spironolactone about a month ago and my endo said that it should help stop hair loss and encourage new growth. There's also some topical treatments like Rogaine for women that I haven't tried but I've heard about.

If you're not on any medications but you would like to be, I would suggest getting a referral to a good endocrinologist and discussing your options. If you don't want to be on medications, maybe ask about possible topical treatments or a diet/exercise plan that can help with the symptoms (low GI is usually what's recommended I think). Or you could try finding and talking to a naturopath in your area. They may be able to suggest some herbal remedies such as Saw Palmetto and Biotin.

What works for one woman does not always work for another (I've tried 4 other medications that have worked for others that didn't work for me). Unfortunately, finding what helps the most may take a bit of trial and error. If something doesn't work, don't let it get you down. Just keep moving forward and eventually you'll reach a happier and healthier you! :smile: