Piyo - Worth it?

Options
I'm thinking about trying, Piyo from Beachbody/Chalene Johnson, but it's kind of expensive.
I've got an angry SI Joint and Piyo kinda sounds perfect for me right now. Not looking to lose weight, just want to build a strong foundation since mine apparently sucks.

My plan:
Step 1: rehab and reduce SI Joint inflammation (4-6 weeks)
Step 2: strengthen core/back and improve flexibility (maybe via Piyo???)
Step 3: add in more intense cardio/weights (to infinity and beyond!)

Thoughts? Has Piyo helped you through an injury? low back injury? Is it worth $120?
What other program(s) would you recommend?
THANKS!!!

Replies

• jms14letgo
    jms14letgo Posts: 138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I didn't have an injury prior to starting PiYo, however, I absolutely love the program. I"m on my 8th week and can't believe how much strength I've gained. My core is so much stronger now and I'm much more flexible. It's a great workout for overall strength, stability, and flexibility.
    I've tried a lot of different workouts. I've done a lot of Jillian Michaels DVDs, Zumba, etc. My problem was always finding something I truly liked and sticking to it... I don't have that problem with PiYo. But then again, I love yoga. But it's not just yoga. She incorporated enough movement and challenge to get the heart rate up and help burn calories.
    Another positive, in every single workout, there is a person there showing modifications for every single move.
    Little to no impact.

I think it's worth every penny of $120. :smiley:
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I had some pretty bad low back and hip flexor problems earlier this year and PiYo saved my butt. Seriously - great program and my strength and balance improved enormously.

Yes, very worth it.
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I just ordered it - can't wait to start!
  • geojeepgirl
    geojeepgirl Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Im starting PiYo tonight!!! Cant wait!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm thinking about trying, Piyo from Beachbody/Chalene Johnson, but it's kind of expensive.
    I've got an angry SI Joint and Piyo kinda sounds perfect for me right now. Not looking to lose weight, just want to build a strong foundation since mine apparently sucks.

My plan:
    Step 1: rehab and reduce SI Joint inflammation (4-6 weeks)
    Step 2: strengthen core/back and improve flexibility (maybe via Piyo???)
    Step 3: add in more intense cardio/weights (to infinity and beyond!)

Thoughts? Has Piyo helped you through an injury? low back injury? Is it worth $120?
    What other program(s) would you recommend?
    THANKS!!!

I had an SI strain last summer and it SUCKED. My chiropractor had me start Pilates and I re-started yoga on my own. They are now no-excuse training for me. Those types of injuries are all about your core. I took the plunge and bought the base Piyo kit. I'm in the first week and I like it very much. It's looking like it will be my go-to, instead of doing separate yoga and Pilates workouts. It has already helped with my running, as my hamstrings are not as tight.

I love Chalene as a trainer and have done Turbo Jam, some Turbo Fire, and ChaLean Extreme. What I learned from ChaLean Extreme is that while it did wonders for building strength, I just prefer bodyweight to weights, and Piyo combines that with core and flexibility training.
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Did PiYo as well....felt stronger, taller, more flexible, better runner, and better moods! Def a great program and worth every cent.
  • kissle6
    Options
    Chalene, the instructor, also does the Turbo Fire videos, which are intense. She gives clear instructions, modifications and an intense workout. Of all the workout videos I have done over the years, I find her the most informative and motivational! I think you'll love this workout.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Piyo is great. It starts off really basic but the more intense classes are fab. I used it as a supplementary program between lifting sessions but definitely helped my core strength, flexibility and balance.
  • kal900
    kal900 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 3... it's pretty hard going if you're largely overweight, but there's still alot you can do. I have bad knees and hypermobile joints, but I'm not finding too much pressure on them, it's all in my muscles that I dont have anymore ;0 I did alot of pilates a few years back and it really helped me get in great shape, so I know even though I'm struggling now, as I shrink, and get better it will do me the world of good again. I'd say it's worth it.. I've sneaked alook at the rest of the dvds and they're killer, but oh, they gotta work!
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    PiYo was reccommended highly to me by a friend who has knee problems (like me) and she had GREAT success with it! She also followed the eating plan but her inches lost was amazing!
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I just finished the alignment fundamentals WO...I feel like I got a good stretch, but I'm used to Jillian Michaels' circuit training for the same amount of time and I don't know if this is going to be enough of a calorie burn for me. Hopefully the WOs get more challenging. I also run during the week for added calorie burning, and at the very least I feel like this will help maintain my definition and flexibility even if alone it provides less of a calorie burn.
  • dempseymom4
    dempseymom4 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I am looking at starting the tapes but wonder if it will be to much. I currently do a BootCamp Class on MWF at the Y for lunch and then walk on T and Th will adding PiYo to everything be to much?