Another Binge?

Options
I binged last night... again. And I felt bad this morning: like I had let myself down, like I wasn't strong enough to keep my eating under control, like sugar was stronger than I am. Then, being more rational than emotional, I decided to see if the data confirmed my feelings.

One of the benefits of daily weighing and consistent logging is having data available for analysis.

Over the course of a little more than a year while I was losing weight, I normally ate about 1450 net calories. During that time, I binged 68 days (18%) and netted about 2560 calories on my binge days. In the end, I lost 60 pounds at 1.1 pounds per week.

Since May, I have been on maintenance. My binges, by the numbers, have been worse. I binged 44 of 159 days (27%), and ate 3815 net calories instead of my usual 1730 net calories. The overall result, including the binges however, has been a deficit of 31 calories per day. I have dropped 1.3 pounds since I've been on maintenance.

When all is said and done, what I am doing is working for me. Whether eating to lose or eating to maintain, calories over time is the deciding factor.

Replies

• redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this. Seeing the bare numbers stacked up is enormously helpful. It's so easy to feel like I've crashed and burned when I binge, but this helps me to understand that even the occasional binge won't destroy my progress if I'm on track the majority of days.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Your welcome. :)

It is all too easy to beat yourself up when you feel bad about eating badly, but the reality of the situation is often not as bad as you think it is.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    we all binge on occasion, the trick is to not beat yourself up and don't make it a habit and it shouldn't affect you too much ;)
  • EMergise
    EMergise Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I had a binge today and I am disgusted with myself.... I just can't say no when food is put in front of me... pastries, biscuits, chocolate, big lunch out, lots of wine, chips, more pastries, more chocolate..... I have even made myself feel ill!! Don't dare calculate the calories :-(

Reading this though has just made me feel more determined to be back on track tomorrow. Normally I would probbably now binge all weekend, as I would consider i had "ruined my week" x
  • Jlee197853
    Jlee197853 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I think this happens to a lot of us. For me, I either binge on alcohol, or after leaving room for a few drinks, binge eat after I drink when my inhibitions are down. Like you say, though, if you keep at it and do good on most days, you will lose weight.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I have even made myself feel ill!! Don't dare calculate the calories :-(

Go ahead and log it! Knowledge is power and knowledge is build up over time with facts.

My worse binge (and I know this because I log everything) was 6550 total calories of which 1532 (23%) were sugar. Yes, I made myself sick.