at home

what would you recommend exercises and workout at home ?
i want to start all over again so is there something easy to start with, and what do you thing of Yoga ?

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    That's a pretty broad question.

What are your goals? What kind of equipment do you have access to at home?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    What do you like doing? There are at home options for most types of exercise.

• muffinsandcakes
    muffinsandcakes Posts: 333 Member
    i don't have any equipment :(
  • jacksonpt
    Again, not knowing your goals, it's hard to make any informed recommendations, but generally speaking, I'd:

- do some body weight exercises for strength - all you need is some floor space
    - do some cardio, both short/high intensity and slow/long duration
    - do some stretching/mobility work. Don't need anything, but a foam roller or similar is great.
  • muffinsandcakes
    thank you! but i want to have a toned and strong body that doesn't jiggle :disagree:
  • jacksonpt
    Body weight exercises can be more than fine. Just be sure you are sufficiently pushing yourself.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    You can find a TON of workouts on YouTube, including strength, yoga, pilates, kickboxing, zumba. I use YouTube a LOT. Yogadownload.com also has some free yoga classes.
  • muffinsandcakes
    thank you pals! :D
  • I almost exclusively use body weight exercises and have made very good gains without conventional weights. For example there is 'no better' exercise to widen the lats then wide grip pull-ups'. So please don't think you have to go to a gym or buy lots of equipment to benefit from training - you don't.
    My go to exercises are: pull-ups / chin-ups; various forms of pushups (with a clap, medicine ball, narrow to wide, spiderman), handstand pushups; squat jumps; dips etc. You can even get a very good cardio workout using the above in a HIIT or circuit fashion.
  • I forgot to add that 'exercise bands' are excellent to add resistance if you want some additional resistance
  • muffinsandcakes
    I almost exclusively use body weight exercises and have made very good gains without conventional weights. For example there is 'no better' exercise to widen the lats then wide grip pull-ups'. So please don't think you have to go to a gym or buy lots of equipment to benefit from training - you don't.
    My go to exercises are: pull-ups / chin-ups; various forms of pushups (with a clap, medicine ball, narrow to wide, spiderman), handstand pushups; squat jumps; dips etc. You can even get a very good cardio workout using the above in a HIIT or circuit fashion.

but they are hard and make me out of breath :''''(
  • MyRummyHens
    MyRummyHens Posts: 141 Member
    Pull ups are brilliant, but they aren't something an awful lot of females can just start doing instantly. Lots of us gals struggle with them. I do two sets of three rep pull ups in a narrow grip and I can only just make it after months of practice.

There are lots of beginner variations on body weight exercises. You can start by doing push-ups with your knees down for example, then you can build up strength to the number of reps you would like to achieve, then think about going into full push-up position. It should be hard, that's the point, but it shouldn't be so hard that it stops you from doing it. I wasn't very strong when I started and struggled to get into positions correctly, let alone add resistance, so I started with pilates, built up strength and moved up from there. Whether you need to get out of breath or not depends on your goals, if you are looking to just firm up then it's not necessary, you can stick with strength, if you are looking to lose weight then you may find pushing to include some HIIT or cardio type work will help you lose the weight either faster, or with less calorie restriction, but if you really hate it (like I do) then you don't have to get too far out of breath.
  • markmacare
    markmacare Posts: 198 Member
    As the others mentioned, plenty you can do at home, depending on your goals. Find something you can stick with - much better than doing too much and burning out quickly.

I love yoga as part of my routine, for example the free videos (from beginner to advanced) at doyogawithme.com

Great for flexibility and core strength.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do. It took me quite a few tries to get it right myself!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member

Exercise should challenge you. If it isn't getting your heart rate up then it's not going to help improve your fitness.

And as your goal is to get "toned" and "strong" then you need to have some form of progressive resistance training in your regime. These goals aren't reached easily. It takes hard work and dedication.
  • muffinsandcakes

Exercise should challenge you. If it isn't getting your heart rate up then it's not going to help improve your fitness.

And as your goal is to get "toned" and "strong" then you need to have some form of progressive resistance training in your regime. These goals aren't reached easily. It takes hard work and dedication.

thank you :)) your words encouraged me.....
  • muffinsandcakes
    markmacare wrote: »
    As the others mentioned, plenty you can do at home, depending on your goals. Find something you can stick with - much better than doing too much and burning out quickly.

I love yoga as part of my routine, for example the free videos (from beginner to advanced) at doyogawithme.com

Good luck on whatever you choose to do. It took me quite a few tries to get it right myself!
    markmacare wrote: »

thank you!
  • jacksonpt
    I almost exclusively use body weight exercises and have made very good gains without conventional weights. For example there is 'no better' exercise to widen the lats then wide grip pull-ups'. So please don't think you have to go to a gym or buy lots of equipment to benefit from training - you don't.

That means you're doing it right.