I am SO hungry right now!

Options
I've been so faithful to my 1200 calories. but today is the first day since I started mid august that I'm just starving. I want to eat. sitting here at my desk at work I just keep thinking about the vending machine downstairs. I've still got about 450 calories left for today, but I know I should keep that for supper. ugh. yes, I've had way too many snacks today, but logged them all.

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It's ok to go over one day, just don't let one day turn into one week/month/year. If that isn't an option you want to take, drink a big glass of cold water and see if you're still hungry. If you are legit hungry, have another snack. If it is just boredom, take a small walk around your office area. If it was just thirst, problem solved.
  • jal92475
    jal92475 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been experiencing this too all week. I started in July. Wasn't really hungry on the calories I had but all of the sudden I am ravenously hungry. Trying to keep to good food choices but not always successful.
  • BaranVonCoop
    BaranVonCoop Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have hungry days as well. I used to try to just deal with it but quickly realized that on some days where I worked out really hard, my body was demanding more nourishment. Try to stay away from the vending machines and give your body some healthy eats. Good luck!
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Eat. Listen to your body. Go to a seven eleven and get a peice of fruit. The vending machine selections only make you hangry.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    If your hungry, then eat!
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Eat. Listen to your body. Go to a seven eleven and get a peice of fruit. The vending machine selections only make you hangry.

+1
  • bake_n_run
    bake_n_run Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am feeling the same way..actually all day today i kept thinking about chocolate and comfort food :(
  • jfauci
    jfauci Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Definitely listen to your body. IF you are hungry, go find some healthy, filling calories. If you don't, you risk getting to the point where you are so hungry that you start grabbing everything in sight. Just log what you eat and don't stress if you go over. Tomorrow is another day
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Grankakes wrote: »
    yes, I've had way too many snacks today, but logged them all.

If your snacks contained a lot of sugar and not much fiber to slow down digestion, you may be experiencing the roller-coaster effect of sudden rise in blood glucose causing large dose of insulin that your body releases in response. The end result can be more hunger. The previous suggestion to get a piece of fruit is a good one, especially low Glycemic Index fruits like cherries, apples, pears, peaches, grapefruit, plums, grapes, kiwifruits, oranges, strawberries and prunes.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/379508-the-glycemic-index-table-of-fruits-vegetables/

• circusfreak14
    Options
    Wow. I'm shocked that no one has addressed the fact that your calorie goal is so low. It's 100% possible that you just need more food than 1200 calories! Go look up your BMR, and make that your MINIMUM as that's the number of calories you'd burn in a coma. Remember that so much of what your body does uses energy- you need a huge amount of energy just to stay alive, let alone move around and exercise. Up your goal!!! But eat healthy, filling foods - lean meats, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and healthy fats - not processed crap that will only leave you hungrier.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    At 1200, you will still be in a big deficit if you eat a 200 calorie snack and go over. You might want to bump your goal up a couple hundred so you don't have such a battle with it. :)
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Have some fruit or nuts and drink more water.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Also, is it coming up on your time of the month? It's helped me to recognize that I have about three extra hungry days related to my cycle. I eat more on those days and don't freak out that I can't handle my calorie level any more, and then after those days are over my appetite has gone right back to normal.
  • Grankakes
    Grankakes Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the suggestions. I filled my water bottle again (24 oz) for the drive home. had a roast beef sandwich, then treated by 'sweet craving' with lime sherbet and diet sprite. only went over 50....
    > I've weighed the same for the last 2 weeks (I weigh on Saturday). if the scale is still 'stuck' in the morning, i'll increase my calories for a couple of weeks. I've got to get back to walking, and I know that will help. there is always a reason I can't walk, but it's just an excuse, I know! (and no time of the month for me, parts removed about 30 years ago!)
    > the next sentence is probably TMI, so stop reading if you want.. I had my 5-year colonoscopy Tuesday, and I think I'm so hungry because I went without food for 2 days! LOL!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    What about eating over your calorie allowance? Was it ever a crime to do that now and again?

Or why not some exercise so that you will lose some calories?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you're hungry, eat.
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think it's just the weather for me. I normally do about 2100 calories a day but have been bumping it up to 2800 or so for the last few days. I still maintain a huge deficit but the recent spat of cold windy days has made me want to add a little something to keep the motivation up.

Personally I think it's fine and just part of being human but the other part of being human is realizing that you are in control of what you put into your mouth regardless of any rationalizations you are able to make.