Pickles??

Options
2»

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Remember folks that olives have oil in them
    olive oil comes from pressed olives. They are high in calories and sodium, but you can soak them in water and it will take some of the salt out. Pickles, on the other hand, come from cucumbers, so they are alot less calories. :)
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    dancing-pickle-like-dancing-banana-large-color-animated.gif
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Pickles when I was at a lower calorie intake were my go to when I get home snack. I don't know how nutritious they are but Good and crunchy I also do olives now. Not as low calorie but not very high.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I eat lotsssss of pickles. I don't worry about the sodium as I mainly make my own food and am extremely careful with the salt then. Pickles are darn near calorie free! I think they are a great snack!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    One can never. ever. ever. ever... go wrong wtih eating pickles.

giphy.gif

• LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    B2b58gI26GQTe.gif
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    But do they fill you up????
  • ElemenopeeZ
    ElemenopeeZ Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    dancing-pickle-like-dancing-banana-large-color-animated.gif

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    __drmerc__ wrote: »
    Pickles are fruits not veggies

Fruit??

anigif_enhanced-19053-1403711115-1.gif

• Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Pickles are good in moderation. Vinegar slows down high glycemic foods and the sugar spike. There's a reason why apple cider vinegar is an ingredient in many "diet pills".

I have my pickles with a very good conscience. Sodium is not bad unless you have medical condition. If you do lots of cardio with massive sweating, you probably need more salt.

Just because someone else can't eat something, is not auto bad for YOUR body too...

Common sense, guys :)
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »
    Pickles are good in moderation. Vinegar slows down high glycemic foods and the sugar spike. There's a reason why apple cider vinegar is an ingredient in many "diet pills".

I have my pickles with a very good conscience. Sodium is not bad unless you have medical condition. If you do lots of cardio with massive sweating, you probably need more salt.

Just because someone else can't eat something, is not auto bad for YOUR body too...

Common sense, guys :)

I must have missed something, I did not see where any body said not to eat pickles.

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love pickles and eat a lot of them. Be careful though, they are one of the victims of the FDA's ruling that where a serve of food has less than 5 calories, the label is allowed to say it has 0 calories.

Pickles are not 0 calories. They are cucumbers, and cucumbers are not 0 calories, and pickling them doesn't take the calories away. It's just that the "serving size" is small enough to be sub-5 cal, so they can put 0 calories. You won't blow your calories out of the water eating a jar of pickles, same way you wouldn't if you are a bushel of cucumbers, but they aren't 0 calories :wink:
  • KimWillBeThin81
    Options
    I love pickles too. For a lower sodium kind I tend to eat the no sugar added splenda sweet gerkins.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    I snack on pickles sometimes. Low calorie, so I usually don't even count them. Unless I'm watching sodium, too.

Be careful about that. They can be heavy in the sodium, and that adds up really fast. In my experience, it has led to bloating in the past, too. As I am addicted to pickles and could easily eat a jar a day if you let me.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    cshipley90 wrote: »
    So I'm doing this low cal thing and I'm wondering if pickles are a good option. They have like no calories (0-8) depending on the pickle. I love pickles but I'm not sure how nutritious they are...I mean it's a veggie right?

help. no hate please :wink:

Check the labels--pickles (and some cheeses) are made with brine, which is usually loaded with sodium.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pickling

• cshipley90
    cshipley90 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    srslybritt wrote: »
    But do they fill you up????

Pickles don't fill me up, but I find them to be a great snack. Although, I have to reevaluate how often I eat them now. The information provided here makes me think I'm eating more than my fair share.