Tofu Recipes

Options
Hi! I was at the market the other day and found tofu on sale. I bought 5 containers of it. I was originally going to make and freeze a lasagna recipe I had found with it, but decided to see if anyone had any other recipes they would like to share. I have no clue how to prep/use/etc. I've been reading a little about "pressing the tofu" to get the moisture out of it.
So, basically, i was wondering if anyone has any great recipes they would like to share on how you cook it. (All the recipes I found are kind of "Chinese foodish" and I"m not a huge fan of Chinese food. I heard that grilling it was good...anyone have any feedback on that? I'm so excited because I LOVE TRYING NEW THINGS!
Also any tips would be appreciated too! Thanks!

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    if it's extra firm I love to curry it. I admit I cheat and just buy the VH curry. Steam some cauliflower and broccoli...mix it all together and pour on a bed of rice...don't forget to tell your children it's chicken lol and they'll eat it like they've never seen food. I also like to sautee the extra firm with garlic, onions and mushrooms, toss in some noodles and Club House Roasted Red Pepper and Garlic spice....
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump...bump.
  • Slayer66
    Slayer66 Posts: 265
    Options
    I actually eat it for breakfast, I crumble the extra firm and fry it in extra virgin olive oil like scrambled eggs, then melt a little cheese on it with a piece of toast! =)

You can see its stats in my diary if you wish
  • LJSpady
    LJSpady Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I need recipes too! =)
  • rachelowow
    Options
    Hi!!!

Silken tofu makes great smoothies, or chocolate mousse!!! Great dessert or breakfast!!!
  • 000angie000
    000angie000 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • michelleputnam
    Options
    Bump
  • cocobeenie
    Options
    I like to eat tofu plain or with a little bit of kimchi (korean spicy pickled cabbage) and seaweed. Also, drizzled with a little sesame soy dressing (which is actually a common way for tofu to be consumed in Korea) is really good.

I also use tofu as a substitute for mayo in chicken and tuna salads. It helps the texture if you pat it dry with a paper towel first, but you don't have to. Once you mix it, the firm texture becomes really soft and will bind everything together softly just like mayo!

Another idea is to make tofu patties or "meatballs". Similarly to the chicken or tuna salad, you can use tofu and a little flour to bind veggies like shredded carrot, finely diced onion or green onion, spices, and whatever else you like and make patties with it.

You can dice or crumble it and throw it in your salads too.. I love the way it soaks up dressing.
  • sam456
    sam456 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been experimenting with tofu quite a bit and have come up withe some tasty recipes (in my opinion!). I think the key is in flavoring it right so it doesn't taste bland-- I've finally just started blogging my recipes so I can easily share them with friends: http://happyheartrecipes.blogspot.com/ feel free to follow my blog or share with others! I'm aiming to post a new recipe every week :)