New and need help

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm completely new here and to the general topic of fitness and calories..

I've been going to the gym now for 2 weeks, 3 days a week and I absolutely love it. At the moment it's general strenght building, no splits (gonna change that in some weeks ).

Now I'm confused with what my weight goals are for the App. I want to gain muscle, not become Hulk but still gain mass and look good, long term anyone should immediatly see that I work out if I wear a normal shirt :) you get what I mean I think

I'm not fat or anything, I weigh 66,5kg and I'm 1,80m tall, 21 years old male and I'm a programmer so not much movement every day except when working out.
I'm not exactly planing to gain weight but I guess that would be normal for me if I gain muscle mass ?
But my question is, what is a good goal to set so I know what calories I need ?

I want to gain muscle mass (kinda asap), long term I want to lose some fat on my belly (all the fat I have is going to my belly :| )

I appreciate any input from you :)

Replies

• Snypa1
    Snypa1 Posts: 31 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hey bro,

Go to the gym and ask them to measure your body fat. Along with your actual weight your body fat is the main indicator. It's a percentage and will allow you to see how much fat your packing. You might even want to record your weight and body fat every few weeks. If your weight is going up and your body fat is stable then your doing it right. if your gaining weight and your body fat is going up up up then your doing it wrong :wink:

In order to set your calorie goal you need to work out how many calories you actually use in a day. There was calculators online that are pretty accurate, find and use one. Once you have a general idea of how many calories you use in a day add say 200 to that and then that will be your calorie goal.

Your calories will need to come from fats, proteins and carbs. As your going to be lifting and stimulating muscle growth you will need to consume more than the generally accepted recommended daily intake of protein. A "normal" human needs around 0.7grams of protein per KG body weight, but if your lifting 3 times a week you should at least double that, maybe even triple. So at a minimum you'll want 1.4 * 67 = 94 grams of protein per day. But if as you say you want to "gain asap" then I'd probably triple the daily recommended amount (studies have shown its still effective even this high) so... 2.1 * 67 = 140 grams of protein per day.

Record everything, honestly man just record everything. Keep MFP upto date so if you start getting fatter you can see how many calories you have been eating and then adjust.

In terms of your belly fat you just need to go beast mode to get rid of that. Belly fat is tought to get rid of. Join a high intensity class at your gym, like interval training or kettle bells. Do it on one of your days off.

Good luck bro!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    The above is very good advice and I would add that if you are trying to both gain some muscle and lose the belly fat that you will likely have to do it in two phases, one where you eat above you maintenance level so you gain muscle, but also some fat, and a second phase where you cut the fat so you will eat below your maintenance level. When you cut you will lose some muscle but will exercise to reduce the loss. Depending on what you value more is what you should do first, so do you want to add muscle or lose the belly fat first? Since it's fall you might want to bulk first then cut.

Most lifters will do a bulk and cut cycle of dieting and this is something you can look up many places online. Good luck in your weight lifting!
  • Dagon313
    Options
    Thank you guys so much, it really really helps me a lot !

Yeah the belly fat is not that much and just a long term goal to get rid of, it's all bulking now :)

THANKS !
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    To clarify, you started lifting 2 weeks ago? Did you lift before that?