Breast Implants and working out?

Options
RDH0513
RDH0513 Posts: 245 Member
Here is a question for the ladies who have implants and also lift weights. I have known for a long time that I wanted to get implants. It is a personal choice for me, and has nothing to do with what anyone else thinks, so it is a present for myself :)

Anyway- I haven't talked to any doctors yet or anything, but I wanted to get some opinions from people who actually have them. How have they affected your weight lifting routines? Do you ever feel like you can't train chest/surrounding muscle groups 100% because of your implants?

Thanks!

Replies

• MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for about 4 years. After I lost a bunch of weight, my boobs sagged to my waist (NOT exaggerating), so I had a lift, then implants placed.

The only limitation I have is that I have to watch the chest exercises some. I do most everything, but I don't spend a lot of time trying to build the pecs. However, the TYPE of implant you get makes a difference. My suggestion is to have it placed under the muscle, not on top of the muscle. This make it less implanty, and I think lends to easier exercise.

I don't regret getting them in the least. I'm also careful to support the girls during workouts, too.

You may want to get the opinion of a couple docs and talk to them about your fitness goals. Compare what they say.
  • fadedflower79
    fadedflower79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You will not be able to lift for some time but after the healing process you will be totally unaware it was done. It does not negativly impact my routine whatsoever.

You will have to invest in bras though for any cardio!! They get pricey! :)
  • lblocker23
    Options
    I've had mine for over a year and havent had any problems with my weight lifting routine....the first 3 months I'd say are the toughest but after that its no problem!
  • get_it_gone2012
    Options
    you don't need implants. come visit me and i'll give you some of mine for free! :laugh:
    my advice would be to talk to the surgeon about it. he/she will know best about exercising with them :smile:
  • Meganne1982
    Meganne1982 Posts: 451
    Options
    I don't have implants, but a few years ago I had a tummy tuck and breast lift to remove excess skin from my weight loss, and with any surgeries like that, it takes MONTHS before your body is ready for you to workout like normal again. But, from a couple of friends I have with implants, when their healing was all over and done with they could get back to being active and the only difference for working out was just needing good sports bras :)
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options

LOL! I would think if one could afford to get implants in the first place, then the price of a bra wouldn't be a problem! :tongue:

I've had the same question about implants/lifting......I doubt I'll ever have the extra $$ to get them, but I can dream!
  • AbbyLu
    AbbyLu Posts: 29
    Options
    My sis lost the weight before her surgery but she still works out almost everyday to keep off the weight (50lbs! I'm so proud of her!!!) She went from barely an A to a large C, and wouldn't mind going bigger in a few years. Before her implant surgery she had to have pre-surgery to fix a birth defect to adjust the shape of her breasts first. Everyone is going to be different of course, its going to depend on how well you heal and if there are any complications. Try and strengthen those muslces first to get them use to the work outs, and listen to your doc about healing time! Don't lift anything until he/she says it's ok!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    OMG....BEST MONEY I HAVE EVER SPENT!!!!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE MY BOOBS!!!!!!

I've had my implants for 6 years now and they have no impact what so ever on my weight lifting routine. You will be sore and won't be able to lift weights for a while during the healing time but that's about it.

Get an Enell bra. I can't run without one but they hold those suckers in place no problem. They're like $35.00 on Ebay.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Go to bodybuilding.com and check out the implants thread in the women's section. They discuss the pros and cons. From what I read, if you want to look more natural, go under the muscle. However, most ladies claim this severely limits the amount and types of weight training they can do. If you want to be able to lift heavy, go over the muscle. But then you get the fake "globe" look. That's why fitness models look so fake - they usually go over the muscle so they can keep up their training routines.

It's not for me, but good luck to you!
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I went over the muscle but under the fascia and I don't have a globe look. It really depends on your Dr. so make sure you do A LOT of research before you pick what Dr. you are going to. A high cost doesn't mean they're going to look amazing. Mine were only $3200 and they look real. Too real for my taste if you ask me. :laugh: I wanted more of a fake look but oh well.

Also pay attention to what shape you want....high profile.......tear drop shape etc.
  • fadedflower79
    Options

LOL! I would think if one could afford to get implants in the first place, then the price of a bra wouldn't be a problem! :tongue:

I've had the same question about implants/lifting......I doubt I'll ever have the extra $$ to get them, but I can dream!

HaHa!!! This is true... I will say that I saved for YEARS for that surgery!! Worth every penny, and my awesome Under Armour sports bras too!!! :)
  • fadedflower79
    Options
    OMG....BEST MONEY I HAVE EVER SPENT!!!!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE MY BOOBS!!!!!!

I've had my implants for 6 years now and they have no impact what so ever on my weight lifting routine. You will be sore and won't be able to lift weights for a while during the healing time but that's about it.

Get an Enell bra. I can't run without one but they hold those suckers in place no problem. They're like $35.00 on Ebay.

I was torn about wether to get mine or not and I spent years researching and learning.... Then I decided to do it. I too think it was the best money ever spent!!