5K Training Question

Options
I am currently training for my first 5K. I am using a 1 mile loop that has a 216 ft elevation. It is still difficult for me and since I am still at the Jog/Walk phase (week 4 of C25K) I am at 46:45 for my time. Question: Am I doing a disservice to myself by training on a track with that kind of elevation since my course track is no where near that, or should I continue to use my current course and hope that increases my endurance and gives me a better flat course time?

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    My personal opinion is that any time you can run up a hill you should. Running up and down hills in training usually pays off at race time - even on a flat course.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Other than making things a little harder for yourself there's no reason not to keep going on your current route.

If it was the other way 'round (training on a flat route for a hilly race) it would be different.

If nothing else you'll end up stronger running with the increased elevation.

Good luck & have fun!
  • meg091380
    Options
    Thanks guys. Appreciate the help!
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    Running hills is always good. However, try not to run the same course every single time if you can help it. Changing up your routes is important to help your body learn to adapt.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. I did most of my C25K program on an inside flat track. I thought that I was doing great, until I went for a run outside! It is totally different. Your best bet is to train in realistic conditions... changes in elevation, temperature, etc... make outdoor running much more difficult then track/treadmill running. Just my 2 cents! Good luck with the race!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    "Hill work is speed work in disguise" My neighborhood is about the same and I had no choice but to do the C25k program there. It's definitely do-able and paid off in the end.

46:45 for a walk/jog 5k is really pretty good. A 30 minute 5k is something that many C25kers are still striving for after a year or more (I'm really, really close).
  • meg091380
    Options
    I know that they say for your first 5k that time is not an issue and you should focus on completing but I have a goal of finishing in 40 minutes. Am I being unrealistic?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    If you're wondering about technique for running up- and down-hill I'd recommend some videos you can search for on the Runner's World website. It is important not to take too long strides and they show it well.

Other than that I agree with what has already been said. Don't worry about speed at this point, it'll come. And join the couch-to-5K group, too, if you like. There's lots of support and information there.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Run the hills, but slow right, right down when you get onto the longer intervals. Then totally rock the flat course!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I live in the mountains and train there. Most of the races are flat so they are a piece of cake after my normal workout. Try to go farther than you need in training it helps. If you can get your time with the hill in the 42 minute range your official time should easily be under 40. Good Luck Beware running becomes an addiction.

29509743.png
  • meg091380
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    I live in the mountains and train there. Most of the races are flat so they are a piece of cake after my normal workout. Try to go farther than you need in training it helps. If you can get your time with the hill in the 42 minute range your official time should easily be under 40. Good Luck Beware running becomes an addiction.

Awesome! Under 40 would be thrilling!
  • JupeJones
    JupeJones Posts: 107 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    meg091380 wrote: »
    I know that they say for your first 5k that time is not an issue and you should focus on completing but I have a goal of finishing in 40 minutes. Am I being unrealistic?

Not completely unrealistic. But you're right that you shouldn't worry about your time. It's a guaranteed PR anyway!

But if you must latch on to goal, I suggest giving yourself three goals instead of just one.

1. Finish the race, period.
    2. Finish the race under a realistic and do-able time.
    3. Finish the race under a possible-yet-aspirational time.

Then it's not so much a matter of meeting your goal or not, it's a matter of how many of your goals you manage to meet.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd vary the course up. I like to run flat when I'm recovering, and when I'm feeling good, I'll take the hilly route because yes, hills are "speedwork in disguise." But if you feel good, then by all means run the hills because it will make race day a little easier. Good luck
  • nielsonfam
    nielsonfam Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I consider myself a "new" runner and just finished my first 5K last weekend with a time of 35 minutes - I was shocked as I thought I would be closer to 40 minutes but you will probably surprise yourself and be better prepared than you think you are - at least I think that's what happened with me. Plus I think the other runners help keep you going. Good luck to you!

• meg091380
    Options
    nielsonfam wrote: »
    I consider myself a "new" runner and just finished my first 5K last weekend with a time of 35 minutes - I was shocked as I thought I would be closer to 40 minutes but you will probably surprise yourself and be better prepared than you think you are - at least I think that's what happened with me. Plus I think the other runners help keep you going. Good luck to you!

Glad to hear someone else was able to make that time as a new kid. Gives me hope!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Keep running hills--it will help you in the long run (no pun intended). I would switch it up sometimes, too, though. You say it's a loop--have you run it backwards? Running downhill requires different skills than running uphill--both are good to have. Also, are you always looping right or left? Again, try and reverse it to mix things up--I ended up with an IT band injury from repetitive running on a crowned road where my one leg was always slightly downhill to the other. Is there a high school track near your house? As boring as it may be (slightly better than a treadmill), there are 'games' you can play on the track to mix it up, too--try sprinting down the straights and jogging or walking the curves.
  • meg091380
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Keep running hills--it will help you in the long run (no pun intended). I would switch it up sometimes, too, though. You say it's a loop--have you run it backwards? Running downhill requires different skills than running uphill--both are good to have. Also, are you always looping right or left? Again, try and reverse it to mix things up--I ended up with an IT band injury from repetitive running on a crowned road where my one leg was always slightly downhill to the other. Is there a high school track near your house? As boring as it may be (slightly better than a treadmill), there are 'games' you can play on the track to mix it up, too--try sprinting down the straights and jogging or walking the curves.

I have not run it backwards but it is up and down. A nice mix of both. I do switch sides of the road halfway through though because I noticed that it slopes differently depending on what side I am on. I like to think I'm evening out my legs...

I will probably try a track this weekend just to see how I have improved.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I used to do my neighborhood only it is very hilly in Dahlonega and about 1.5 miles total. I got bored of it now I hit other streets. Always go facing traffic I have had to jump to avoid being hit several times. I have improved my time every official 5k I have done. My first was almost 3 years ago and I was almost 260lbs then.

29509743.png
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Any time you are feeling good, take the hilly route. Worst case scenario is that you will be a stronger runner and race day will be a piece of cake if it is on a flat course :smiley:
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Hills, Hills, Hills.

They do a body good in many ways.