Should I count calories burned bagging groceries?

Options
KimMc60
KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
edited October 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I hate to start another one of those threads, buuuut...

I work at a grocery store, standing/bagging most of the time. While I definitely don't feel like I got a workout in after a shift, I do realize my heart rate increases, and I'm more hungry than if I was just sitting around the house. I actually wore my HRM to work one day and found that I burned around 200 calories/hour, but I'd probably say 150 to eliminate the time that I was just standing around. I don't want to change my activity level because I only work 2-3 days a week. Since I usually don't workout the days I work, should I add this as exercise?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no you should not you bagged groceries before you got here right? it didn't help you lose weight before and it's not "purposeful exercise"...
  • KimMc60
    KimMc60 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    no you should not you bagged groceries before you got here right? it didn't help you lose weight before and it's not "purposeful exercise"...

No, I've been on MFP for about a year and a half and only started working two months ago. I'm afraid that if I don't log it I'll be eating too little calories on the days I work, but I also don't want to overeat if I'm wrong.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    No, it's not exercise you purposely do. If you account it at all, it would be included in your daily activity level.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    No. It's part of your normal activity.
  • YvonneBerdkan
    YvonneBerdkan Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    no, you shouldn't count it as exercise, it is part of your normal daily activity. I have been a cashier/grocery bagger for 3 years so far and managed to stay fat for most of that time haha.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    No, it is not exercise. It might be physically tiring, but there is no way you are reaching your fat burning zone with that alone.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    KimMc60 wrote: »
    I hate to start another one of those threads, buuuut...

I work at a grocery store, standing/bagging most of the time. While I definitely don't feel like I got a workout in after a shift, I do realize my heart rate increases, and I'm more hungry than if I was just sitting around the house. I actually wore my HRM to work one day and found that I burned around 200 calories/hour, but I'd probably say 150 to eliminate the time that I was just standing around. I don't want to change my activity level because I only work 2-3 days a week. Since I usually don't workout the days I work, should I add this as exercise?
    Sure, why not?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter, you can log it or not. What matters is if you're hitting your goals or not. Are you losing weight quicker than you want to? Then account for the extra activity and add in some calories. Are you losing weight at the rate you intend? Good, then don't change anything.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    No, it's not exercise.
    Also a completely inappropriate use of a HRM and the numbers given will be no more useful than a random guess.

As DopeitUP says - what have your results been?
    Are you losing weight as the desired pace?
    Feeling hungry?
    Got plenty of energy?
    Does this calorie level seem sustainable?

These are the things to consider when deciding to adjust your calorie target, not adding low level activity.
  • redeemedcyster6
    redeemedcyster6 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's technically strength training, especially with the soda packs and milk jugs, etc. *I am a courtesy clerk and I work hard at my job. Been working 2 years next month, and am now head courtesy clerk. I get carts all the time, plus help bag when we are slammed with customers.
  • sbelletti
    sbelletti Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't log it as exercise, but I would consider it when determining your lifestyle (sedentary, lightly active, very active, etc). You're certainly burning more calories than an identical twin who sits at a desk all day long with no other exercise.

Set your calorie goal and try it for a 3-4 weeks to see how your weight changes. Then adjust up or down from there.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Wow.