Are you losing enough?

Options
Silly question maybe ... but how do you know if you are losing enough/on the right track? some say lose it slowly,some say lose it fast and some just say lose it anyhow anyway ... is there a formula/reference to know if you are losing as you could/should be ...what are your thoughts?

BTW I have lost 31 lbs since Jan 27- not looking for quick fad solution just wondering if this is where i should be?

Replies

• NikkiTaber
    NikkiTaber Posts: 190
    Options
    From what I read and what I have been told, losing 1-2 pounds a week is pretty average and healthy. Losing too much weight too fast can have negative effects on your body.
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the slower, the better and the more likely you will be to keep the weight off FOR GOOD! Studies show that. I look at it as a lifestyle change and if I'm doing my exercise and calorie counting, the weight will eventually come off!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    i am losing approx 10 pounds a month... it makes my Dr very happy as he would have a fit if i was trying to lose it any faster than that *S* .. this is based on me having 65 pounds to lose on joining mfp on Jan 24 this year.
  • lainey137
    lainey137 Posts: 39
    Options
    I think that the aim is not just how much you lose, but are you losing it consistently? You don't want to be a yo-you dieter losing 2lbs one week and putting on one lb the next. If you can consistently lose weight- even just a small amount each week, then you know you have changed your habits - and there's a chance you can keep it that way.

I've lost 39lbs since having a baby 8 months ago- at the moment I'm not losing much, but I'm not putting it on- and the weeks I do lose a couple of lbs I know why!
  • lainey137
    lainey137 Posts: 39
    Options
    brilliant results well done!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Losing too quickly can have negative effects on your health, however that doesn't affect everyone. I say do whatever makes you feel comfortable. I lost larger amounts weekly in the beggining, then for a long time I was lucky to lose .5-1 lb per week, then more recent weeks I am dropping more. If you have concerns, ask a doctor but I think as long as you are getting the nutrients your body needs and you feel healthy, either option is okay, especially since losing fast.... never really stays fast.
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    From what I read and what I have been told, losing 1-2 pounds a week is pretty average and healthy. Losing too much weight too fast can have negative effects on your body.

Yep! And I've heard losing fast shows you might put it back on just as easily.. but of course it depends on how much you have to lose. Those with more excess weight generally will lose weight quicker than those with less than 20lb to lose.
  • voyageruk
    voyageruk Posts: 11
    Options
    It looks like your doing great with your rate of loss. I would be happy with that. The way I look at it is that in 2 months I have reversed almost 2 years of weight gain. It's a good way to look at it and maintain perspective, I find.
  • dietitiandanielle
    dietitiandanielle Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    1-2 lbs/week or 1% of your body weight is considered "safe" weight loss. With the exception of water weight loss at the start of a lifestyle change, if you lose faster than 1-2 lbs/week you can start breaking down your lean muscle mass as the calorie deficit required to lose > 2lbs/week is too great for your existing intake and fat stores to cover. Also, it's important to remember that weight loss is not always linear - it is perfectly normal to have a lose, plateau, lose, plateau pattern from week to week.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Mine flew off at first, then slowed and is now in fits and starts...the thing is when I dont lose weight the tape measure is my friend. 0.6lb lost in the last 2 weeks but 2 inches off my waist, another 2 off my hips and an inch from my back. I'll take it as it comes. My body obviously knows what its doing
  • heniko
    heniko Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Great advice everything! tahnks for sharing your thoughts ...
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Another vote for slowly and steadily here.

It also gets harder the less you have to lose / the closer to goal weight you are.