Maintaining/Gaining Lean Muscle While training for half- marathon!

Options
Hey Guys!
So, I have kind of a complex situation. I am currently training to run a half-marathon (at the end of my second week of training). Anyway, I have been on a fitness journey throughout the last year and a half and am currently wanting to maintain my current and possibly gain lean muscle through weight training and bodyweight work. I know that the running will help me burn fat, but I need a little advice on how to incorporate weight training into half-marathon training? I am currently running 6 days a week, so I'm worried about over training.
Thanks!

Replies

• jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    How much running have you done before your training began? Have you been doing 6 days a week for awhile now? Are you wanting to weight train your legs or upperbody? If your body is used to running 6 days a week then you can continue it and add in a little upperbody weight training a few days a week. But with running 6 days a week I don't think weight lifting with legs would be such a good idea.
  • apie_leann
    Options
    I've been running regularly for the past year or so, but not as much mileage as I'll be doing for training for the half-marathon. I am also used to lifting or doing bodyweight resistance at least 3-4 days a week. I was looking to continue training both, but I know I will have to go easier if my focus is on training. I did read, however, that training legs while training is a good supplementation to increase endurance, I just don't know what the actual research says. And what I read is probably based on a running schedule that only includes 3-4 runs a week, huh?
  • jmcowan42
    jmcowan42 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Strength training legs can increase speed and reduce chance of injury. It definitely helps endurance because ideally the faster you move, the more work your heart and lungs are doing so they become more efficient too. You could do some leg work on days you have slower pace goals or less mileage, like if you are only to run 3 miles it would be helpful to treat those miles as a warm-up to your strength workout. Or if your plan calls for a day of cross-training, you could do a little of both. That's usually what I do... Hope this helps!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    You don't need to run six days per week for half marathon, as long as the days you are running are quality sessions. You're right to identify overtraining as a risk though. Why are you planning six days and what mileage does that aggregate to?

What's your goal for the race? Completion or a specific time?

You can maintain your existing lean mass fairly easily, although in the latter half of the programme that'll mean eating carefully. Personally I find that long run days and performance sessions leave me with a significant deficit as I can't eat back what I expend.

Resistance training can help your power, endurance and injury risk mitigation, but if you overdo it you'll compromise your training. You may find later in your training that dialing back to bodyweight work is the way ahead.

Anyway, as noted above, I sometimes use a shorter run as a warm up for resistane training.
  • apie_leann
    Options
    You don't need to run six days per week for half marathon, as long as the days you are running are quality sessions. You're right to identify overtraining as a risk though. Why are you planning six days and what mileage does that aggregate to?

What's your goal for the race? Completion or a specific time?

You can maintain your existing lean mass fairly easily, although in the latter half of the programme that'll mean eating carefully. Personally I find that long run days and performance sessions leave me with a significant deficit as I can't eat back what I expend.

Resistance training can help your power, endurance and injury risk mitigation, but if you overdo it you'll compromise your training. You may find later in your training that dialing back to bodyweight work is the way ahead.

Anyway, as noted above, I sometimes use a shorter run as a warm up for resistane training.

I am planning on six days because my race is in 8 weeks. If it were in 12, I would reduce my mileage each week. My goal is completion, but I'm hoping to not finish to slowly :P I'm currently a decently fast runner for long periods, so I think I should be okay! And thanks so much, both of your guys' information is great (:
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are eating enough calories. I follow the Runners World 50% carbs, 25% protein, 25% fat seems to work pretty well. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • quakerboy
    quakerboy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I would lift only twice a week - and in coordination with your days. So for example: So you might do hills Monday - and then lift, Tuesday and Wednesday light, Thursday off, Friday moderate with weights, Saturday long, Sunday light. In this way you are keeping your rest days truly rest.

You should be clear if your goal is to use weight training to support running. or weight training to support generally being stronger. This is what I do. I know it conflicts some with running, but I like the diversity.
  • quakerboy
    Options
    I think you can also think about focusing on weight training after your half. Its only 8 weeks away, and it may be a good way to shift things - give your running muscles a little time to recover. In prep for my last half I stopped lifting, and have restarted now that I am back to a more average running schedule.
  • quakerboy
    Options
    And I think you should consider a 5 day schedule. It isn't just miles. You need to give your body time to rebuild muscle in order to get faster. Doing a workout like: 2, 3, 4, rest, 3, 6 will make you much faster than doing 3 miles six days a week, no matter when your race is.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    apie_leann wrote: »
    I am planning on six days because my race is in 8 weeks. If it were in 12, I would reduce my mileage each week. My goal is completion, but I'm hoping to not finish to slowly :P

It strikes me that you may be overdoing it and at risk of an overuse injury.

Given that it's only 8 weeks I'd suggest concentrating on bodyweight work and then start lifting more seriously after the race.

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    What does your running schedule currently look like (mileage/type of training). What is your current long run distance now.

I lifted twice a week and ran 4 times a week in preparation for my half and Spartan Beast. I was already running 2-3 times a week with a 6 mile long run when I started training. I did it slow and spent 14 weeks ramping up to 13.1 miles.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would have a look at the triathletes training bible. I know you are running but Joe Friel has produced a masterpiece of literature here . I think it is a good place to start and will lead you the answer in a very through way. I would concentrate on nutrient timing as well as doing weights