Trying to get rid of my stomach!

Options
I've nearly lost 4 stone, I can notice it a bit, clothes are too big etc. However, my stomach still sticks out a far bit, which I don't want. Does anyone have any tips on how to get rid of it?

Ideally stuff that I can do at home, as I can do that whenever.

Many thanks :)

Replies

• FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    It's probably what you are eating instead of something you are doing. Are you eating a lot of fiber?? If so, you may be intolerant to some fiberous foods. This was the case with me: broccoli was one culprit. If foods make you bloaty, it's actually irriating your intestines and that's what causes your belly to "stick out". I eat mostly leafy greens instead of the more fiberous... Just an opinion though...
  • darrenham
    darrenham Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Keep losing weight.

If anyone in here comes in with an exercise, they're wrong. You cannot spot-train for fat loss.
  • KendraElmendorf
    KendraElmendorf Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Tummy Fat?
    Get rid of your lower stomach fat

Today more and more people are becoming conscious about the way they look. To look trim and healthy is important to many. In this trend there are many gym classes and other courses that are that are opening up to supplement the growing demand of the cravings of people of knowledge that they desire to sculpt their bodies into beautiful art forms. There are also many products in the Market like pills and gadgets the claim to work on the principal of vibrations to achieve the same effect. But most of the times these methods do not work. As such they are unproven and often lead to disastrous side effects. Some may be even extremely harmful to the body. This is true in case of pills. They can also become addictive on a person.

One of the most specific areas of complain from people around the world is the development of lower stomach fat. People must learn a proper way of how to lose belly fat. The most common solution adapted by many to reduce this fat is commonly known as spot training. However spot training will not give you results that you desire. It is medically known that you cannot reduce your lower stomach fat or for that matter fat from any part of the body by exercising only that area. This fact defeats the use of many machines that claim to reduce fat from a particular part of the body by concentrating and working on only one part. Truth is overall development is required to get rid of fat from any part of the body.

If you have fat in you lower stomach, then the perfect way to get rid of it is to exercise and expose the lower muscles in your abdomen. This is also the only way to lose the fat from that part of the body. The muscles that are underneath should come out and replace the fat that is already there. This will help you shed the fat present and bring out muscles in you abdomen. The best way to bring out these muscles is by doing aerobic exercises or cardio vascular training. Also weight training is a great method. Muscles will burn away all the fat present.

Also it should be kept in mind that along with losing weight you should nourish yourself properly. If you are going on a weight loss program then you should learn about food value and nutrition 1st. To have a complete balanced meal is important to keep up your strength. You body should be able to cope up with the loss in weight. Otherwise you will be prone to weakness and other associated problems. Along with doing healthy exercises you should also eat healthily. The balance between nutrition and exercising is the key to building up your body and bringing about a healthy figure.

To work out on the lower stomach fat the first thing that you should bear in mind is that these muscles are the most important in your body. Unnecessary strain on these muscles can cause serious disabling effects on your body. You should start out by doing some sit ups and other exercises which are closely associated with breath control mechanisms. The flow of oxygen in the body will help you to dispose of most of our body fat. Yoga is one of the key tools that you can use to dissolve your lower abdomen fat. One of the simplest exercises is to bend over and touch your feet while you are standing up without bending your knees. This will bring flexibility to your back and also help with the circulation of blood and oxygen. This exercise will work irrespective of how obese you think you are. This posture is also known as vajrasana in Yoga.

Cardio exercises are the most ideal exercises to get rid of your body fat. You can do simple exercises like running jogging or even walking. Doing sit up and crunches and other abs workouts will only help in reducing the flab but it will not get rid of it completely. This is how the lower abdomen fat is different from the other fat in the body. It is essential that you do cardio exercises in combination with you abs workouts. You will not get immediate results but in due time, you will shed your fat and bring your stomach into perfect form and posture.

It is common to have ribs protruding and yet have lower stomach fat that sticks out like jelly. This is a very complicated situation and it is very difficult to get rid of. Sometimes liposuction is the only way to get rid of such fat. Although the surgery is not really recommended and there are various other ways such as yoga and other workout regimes that you can use to get rid of that fat. Working your legs is a great way to reduce your abdomen fat as well as strengthen your legs. Working on exercises that require your legs to come above your waist line are ideal.

Posture is very important while working out. Incorrect posture can cause pain in parts of the body and sometimes even break downs. Posture should be maintained weather you are working out or not. Keeping a good posture will keep your muscles alert. This is true especially in case of your back. The back holds up your stomach as well as other parts of the body. Keeping the back strong and in good posture is very essential.

Dancing is a great way to lose belly fat. You can take many dancing courses that are available or even learn from an online tutorial and shed of that fat. You should always bear in mind to keep patience and consistency. With dedication and proper care of the body you will not need any magical pill to take care of your body. You can most naturally look good and attractive without the fear of any side effects.
  • masihskitter4god
    Options
    I do revised crunches that someone taught me years ago. They're easy, you can do them while you watch TV, and they really work! Lay on your back on a mat or I use a blanket in the floor. Cross your arms on your chest and cross your ankles. Pull up both your upper and lower body. Hold for ten seconds, then slowly release back to flat on the floor. Rest a moment, then repeat. I started doing ten for ten seconds, then increased by one each night until I reached 15, then went back to doing only ten, but doing them for 15 seconds each. I continued to increase over time. After about three months of this, I had a solid stomach. This was years ago and I'm back on the routine only recently, but once-upon-a-time, I had abs and this was how I got them.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    You have to lose the fat layers that lie over the stomach muscles. You also need to strengthen your core (so that when you eventually melt away the fat, there are some lovely muscles to show off). I really like AbRipper X (part of the P90X series) and yoga. jackie warner and jillian michaels both have good ab routines/dvds as well.
  • JustMichelleB
    Options
    You have to lose the fat layers that lie over the stomach muscles. You also need to strengthen your core (so that when you eventually melt away the fat, there are some lovely muscles to show off). I really like AbRipper X (part of the P90X series) and yoga. jackie warner and jillian michaels both have good ab routines/dvds as well.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It takes time and losing the fat. I don't know how tall you are, but remember the first place fat went on your body is the last place it will come off. I don't know what sort of exercising you are doing, but some burn more fat than others. High Intensity Interval Training and Metabolic Resistance Training will burn more fat than long duration steady state cardio. I have some stuff on Metabolic Resistance Training on my blog here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner and you can check out Intervaltraining.net for more in Interval Training.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Keep losing weight.

If anyone in here comes in with an exercise, they're wrong. You cannot spot-train for fat loss.

Agree. You can't spot reduce or target burn. Where we store it is where it will come off last. That is usually the tummy. You just have to keep working at it. I have lost the 10lbs I wanted to. None was off my belly. I am now focused on lifting heavy weights (cardio as a supplement) to increase my metabolism so I will burn more fat during normal activity and even sleeping. Since I started this my belly is finally starting to burn off.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    It takes time and losing the fat. I don't know how tall you are, but remember the first place fat went on your body is the last place it will come off. I don't know what sort of exercising you are doing, but some burn more fat than others. High Intensity Interval Training and Metabolic Resistance Training will burn more fat than long duration steady state cardio. I have some stuff on Metabolic Resistance Training on my blog here http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/rileysowner and you can check out Intervaltraining.net for more in Interval Training.

This is true. We all have defined muscles and 6-pack abs. We just need to burn off the layer of fat covering them. Core training will make them stronger but they are already defined.
  • LosingGrip
    Options
    It's probably what you are eating instead of something you are doing. Are you eating a lot of fiber?? If so, you may be intolerant to some fiberous foods. This was the case with me: broccoli was one culprit. If foods make you bloaty, it's actually irriating your intestines and that's what causes your belly to "stick out". I eat mostly leafy greens instead of the more fiberous... Just an opinion though...

I don't think I am intolerant to anything, never noticed anything before...always had a bit of a stomach, ever since I was younger.
    I do revised crunches that someone taught me years ago. They're easy, you can do them while you watch TV, and they really work! Lay on your back on a mat or I use a blanket in the floor. Cross your arms on your chest and cross your ankles. Pull up both your upper and lower body. Hold for ten seconds, then slowly release back to flat on the floor. Rest a moment, then repeat. I started doing ten for ten seconds, then increased by one each night until I reached 15, then went back to doing only ten, but doing them for 15 seconds each. I continued to increase over time. After about three months of this, I had a solid stomach. This was years ago and I'm back on the routine only recently, but once-upon-a-time, I had abs and this was how I got them.

Thanks, I'll give that ago!

I've heard a fair bit about p90x lately, some of the before and after photos are brilliant, will look into this a bit more!

I'm 6ft 4" (194cm), as I said above, I've always had a bit of a stomach, but only really noticed it last couple of years. I do a bit of everything really. Some times I do more weights, others its more cardio based. Last time at the gym I did some work on my abs (no idea on the names!) and then some stuff on my legs.

Thanks for all the replies, wasn't expecting so many!