Fitness gadgets and XMas present (for me!)

Options
My daughter asked me what I wanted for Christmas and I never really have any answer but for once I actually do! I'd like some sort of fitness gadget for calculating my heart rate (especially) /calories burned (maybe)! I do have a little pedometer (Weight Watchers) but I'd like something better, more high tech and ideally (but not critical) can sync with my MFP iphone app! I'm sure this question has been asked a ton here, but what are some great recommendations? Nothing TOO expensive but maybe around $100?

Replies

• tinark68
    Options
    Can't go wrong with a fitbit. It syncs with MFP as well.
  • Frazzle441
    Options
    Yes, I was thinking Fitbit! I don't know much about it yet but are there different types?
  • jonmscharff
    jonmscharff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have a Vivofit and like it much better than the fitbit! Check it out...and feel free to send me a PM if you want more info.
  • MzOnree
    MzOnree Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit zip. It's pefect for me. B)
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes, there it's the fitbit one, fitbit flex, and fitbit zip. It is not a heart rate monitor, although it does show calories burned. Checkout fitbit.com for all the comparisons of what each model does and doesn't do.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    BodyMedia FIT
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is also the Jawbone Up. :) Love mine.
  • amwood89
    amwood89 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    FitBit's are great - but they don't monitor your heart rate - You'll need a HRM (heart rate monitor) to do that.

I LOVE my FitBit, but the sole purpose I use that for is for calculating my steps & it encourages me to get up and move around much more when I'm at work sat in the office.

FitBits are great, but it really is just a fancy pedometer. I know my app on the iPhone now has a function for monitoring steps & is free - so maybe have a look at that.

I have a Polar F4 HRM which is great. This is what I use when I'm doing any activity other than walking & want to know how many calories I've burnt per workout (I use it mainly for running, swimming & other cardio activities such as T25). What I love about the F4 is that it tells you if you are in the 'fat burning zone' or 'fitness zone' & will also tell you when you are in your optimum zone for burning calories. I discovered when I first got mine that I was working far too hard & actually needed to slow down (which has resulted in my improving form when I'm doing some of my strength exercises in T25).

I think I paid around £70 for my Polar F4, which would be around $100 I think - but I've just had a look on Amazon & they have it reduced at the moment from $99.99 to $57.

Hope you find something, but in my opinion, check out the free steps app for MFP & ask your daughter for a HRM instead!