CONFUSED BY DAILY CALORIE COUNT

Options
This may be a really stupid question, so please bare with me. My suggested calorie daily count is 1200. It also gives the count for carbs, fat and proteins. Carbs 165, Fat 45 and Protein 40. What makes up the other 950 calories? I hope I don't sound stupid, but I can't figure it out. I log my meals daily and I have either been within or just under, but not sure if I'm understanding properly. I gain more calories because of the cardio I do.

I would appreciate the help.

Thanks so much.

janet

Replies

• LyndseyMcKnight7
    Options
    Not stupid at all, that's just a misunderstanding. THose numbers for carbs, proteins, etc are the number of grams you should be getting for those categories. They all have calories too, but as you plug in what you are eating, MFP will take those numbers into account too. Hope this helps!
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    Not stupid at all, that's just a misunderstanding. THose numbers for carbs, proteins, etc are the number of grams you should be getting for those categories. They all have calories too, but as you plug in what you are eating, MFP will take those numbers into account too. Hope this helps!

Yep. Carbs have *about* 4 calories per gram, same for protein. Fat has *about* 9 calories per gram. If you add the calories for those grams up, they come out to about 1200. Good question.
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I agree with the first poster.
    and FYI:

1 gram carbohydrate = 4 calories
    1 gram protein = 4 calories
    1 gram fat = 9 calories
    1 gram alcohol = 7 calories wait.... is alcohol measured in grams?

:heart:
  • janitsio
    janitsio Posts: 8
    Options
    OH MY GOSH thank you both. I didn't even think about grams. LOL - well, that makes sense then. I was wondering how I was able to stay within the calories given...LOL.

Thanks again.

Janet
  • janitsio
    janitsio Posts: 8
    Options
    Thanks for the chart. I am printing that for my refrigerator.