I am getting disappointed...any ideas?

Options
11 days of dieting and still nothing changed. I checked my measurements and scales, nothing. I keep on checking success stories to keep me motivated. I think I will never make it to be on success stories. I don't know why, my metabolism is sleeping, I will have to completely quit food to see some results.

Replies

• PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Well, quitting food wouldn't be too efficient. And why should you have to quit food? I lose weight and I eat ice cream, chocolates, and cupcakes almost everyday. I always have at least one sweet thing a day.

But if nothing's changed, just try to change it up. Measure EVERYTHING you eat and be conscious of the calories in what you drink. It's real easy to get an extra 200-300 calories in just drinks alone. You may not see a change if you are not accurately counting calories (which is a very easy mistake that I still make sometimes). Just remember that every bite, no matter how small, has calories and try to log it accordingly.

Are you working out?

ETA: It's all a matter of calories. In theory, I could eat just 900 calories of ice cream a day and lose weight. However, this isn't a good idea because I'd probably feel crappy and I'd probably get skinny-fat. I'd say it's all about having a good balance.
  • GogoDri
    GogoDri Posts: 32
    Options
    I go to tennis 3hours/week plus 30 mins of daily exercise (walking, weight lifting, depends on my mood)
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Log your food accurately & honestly. This means every solid item that goes in gets weighed first and logged using accurate entries. (The database is huge and some things are user entered, so be careful to choose the proper entry based on what you eat.) Even slices of bread, pieces of fruit, etc. Use spoons, cups for liquids only. Log cooking oils, condiments, drinks.

Aim for a lean meat, fruits & veggies, whole grains and healthy fats to be the majority of what you consume. Other things are fine, in moderation.

THAT is the key to weight loss - balanced against what you burn in a day. Moving more means you burn more, can eat more of course. But moving more is good for your heart, lungs, and overall fitness. Exercise is not directly the source of losing weight.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your ticker shows a 1 KG loss. That's fine for eleven days' work!
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    You may need to adjust your expectations. Results like you see on shows like the Biggest Loser are not typical. Plus they spend all day everyday with personal trainers doing nothing but working on losing weight. Most people cannot do that in reality. You are 11 days in. That is still very early. Be patient and keep at it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    11 days and you're ready to throw in the towel?

I'd love to say I was in disbelief, but unfortunately, I'm not. This type of post gets made almost every day. People watch shows like "Biggest Loser" and expect the weight to just fall off of them. In real life, it doesn't quite work like that. You need to double up on your patience and commitment level and give it some time.

Are you counting all of your calories? Every single bite you take? Do you weigh and measure all of your food? If you answered no to any of those questions, you need to reevaluate your plan and make the necessary corrections.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    11 days is nothing. Adjust your expectations.
  • CopperB73
    CopperB73 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Wait a moment - aren't you a success story yourself? You've kept going 11 days already despite not seeing the results you hoped for. Good for you. Worthwhile things take time, and it is much better to make changes to your life that you can sustain than to make some dramatic change that you can't possibly keep up. (If you do that, you just end up giving up, and then the weight goes back on). To echo malibu927, 1kg in 11 days is pretty good going: very rapid weight loss is probably to be avoided, as it probably means you are putting your body under an unhealthy lot of pressure.

It's difficult to be patient, I know: can you find some physical activity you enjoy? It gives you something positive to do, and also contributes to the weight loss/fitness gain. It might be important to find something nice, rather than something dramatic & unpleasant.
  • markrichtsspraytan
    markrichtsspraytan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    GogoDri wrote: »
    11 days of dieting and still nothing changed. I checked my measurements and scales, nothing. I keep on checking success stories to keep me motivated. I think I will never make it to be on success stories. I don't know why, my metabolism is sleeping, I will have to completely quit food to see some results.

You did not gain weight in 11 days. What makes you think you would lose it as fast?
  • GogoDri
    Options
    My ticker shows I lost 1 kilo which after 2 days scales showed I took it back mysteriously. I will try to be more punctual with my calorie counting, the database don't help me because I am greek and I can't find greek foods in there. So I check the calories with greek sites and then just enter them to mfp. I want to mention that last year I lost 10 kilos, I was even fatter. I didn't count calories or something, I just started eating less and kilos went off easily. Now I seem to be more organised with calories and such and nothing happens.
  • rileyjc115
    rileyjc115 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I know that is seems hard. are you exercising too? when you exercise you lose fat and gain muscule which wieghs more than fat. Also try to space your meals evenly and dinner should be at least 2 hours before bed. also dring 16 oz of water before breakfast it gives you a fuller feeling and gives your body a good head start. another tip i useto use was have a 100 cal. snack between meals this helps keep your matabolizim going.. you have to let your body know you are not straving so it does not have to store fat! I used all of these tips 2 years ago and lost 20 LBs in 3 months. Hope this helps you and dont give up!!!!!
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    When I started getting into shape, nothing happened on the scale/with measurements at first. But my goal was to get healthy, not just lose weight, so I kept at it. After a month or so I started seeing results, and have lost between 70 and 80 lbs. (I am currently at maintenance and am right about at my goal weight, sometimes on the high side and sometimes on the low side, hence the range)
  • crowleynm
    Options
    rileyjc115 wrote: »
    I know that is seems hard. are you exercising too? when you exercise you lose fat and gain muscule which wieghs more than fat. Also try to space your meals evenly and dinner should be at least 2 hours before bed. also dring 16 oz of water before breakfast it gives you a fuller feeling and gives your body a good head start. another tip i useto use was have a 100 cal. snack between meals this helps keep your matabolizim going.. you have to let your body know you are not straving so it does not have to store fat! I used all of these tips 2 years ago and lost 20 LBs in 3 months. Hope this helps you and dont give up!!!!!

Agree! Essentially what a nutritionist told me, the same nutritionist who recommended MFP. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You are being unrealistic and impatient. Read the forums and stickeys.

Get people to look at your diary. Your calorie counting has to be an accurate reflection. the biggest question/ moan MFP posters have tends to be about why they arent losing weight and the most popular answer is that their calorie counting is innacurate and lax. They are still consuming more calories than they think.

Your body will catch up assuming you are eating at a deficit. The success stories have things in common. They ate at a deficit and they kept going. If you havent changed in a month then reassess.

How much are you trying to lose per week?
    How much is your deficit?
    How many calories are you eating?
    Are you eating back exercise calories?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

This is pretty much bunk.

-When in a calorie deficit, it is very difficult (like, borderline impossible for the majority of people) to gain muscle. Which incidentally DOES NOT WEIGH MORE THAN FAT. 1 pound weighs 1 pound weighs 1 pound. It's just that 1 pound of muscle takes up way less space than 1 pound of fat.

-Your metabolism is ALWAYS going. If it slowed down you'd have serious health repercussions. If it ever STOPPED, you'd be dead.

-Meal timing is completely irrelevant for weight loss. For the majority of people, what works best is to eat when you're hungry and don't eat when you're not. Eat and snack when you need to, not on some arbitrary schedule.

-If your body is not getting enough calories, it WILL NOT STORE FAT. It WILL stop doing non-essential functions like growing hair, keeping nails and skin healthy. It will conserve energy, it will burn muscle, but the "it'll hold on to fat" thing is total fiction.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    crowleynm wrote: »
    rileyjc115 wrote: »

Agree! Essentially what a nutritionist told me, the same nutritionist who recommended MFP. Don't get discouraged, just keep at it.

No, you are not seeing muscle gains in 11 days. And no, your "matabolizm" doesn't need help to "keep going".
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    You need to give it way more than 11 days before you get discouraged and criticizing yourself for progress or no progress.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    It's only been 11 days. It takes time. I felt the same way when I started thinking that I would never see change but guess what, I did. Started the middle May and down 37. Patience my friend, patience.
  • GogoDri
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You are being unrealistic and impatient. Read the forums and stickeys.

Get people to look at your diary. Your calorie counting has to be an accurate reflection. the biggest question/ moan MFP posters have tends to be about why they arent losing weight and the most popular answer is that their calorie counting is innacurate and lax. They are still consuming more calories than they think.

Your body will catch up assuming you are eating at a deficit. The success stories have things in common. They ate at a deficit and they kept going. If you havent changed in a month then reassess.

How much are you trying to lose per week?
    How much is your deficit?
    How many calories are you eating?
    Are you eating back exercise calories?

I am trying to lose 1kilo per week, I eat 1200 calories per day. Exercising about 30 mins a day and 3 hours per week go to tennis. First week I ate back my exercise calories, now I have stopped that and I eat just half or less of them.
    I am impatient and unrealistic you are right. I am impatient as a person in general.
    I just want to know If counting calories will work for me otherwise choose another type of diet (I have tried Dukan diet and I lost 5 kilos while on it) , I don't want to waste my time as I am getting married in 2015 and I have to lose the extra weight to be the bride I want to be :neutral_face: