Getting started round 2, but need advise!

MsStang02
MsStang02 Posts: 147 Member
Good morning all!

I got serious about my health and MFP March 2013. In that year I lost 55 pounds and have kept it off. Life happened early this year and I was not able to keep to my daily schedules (But I have maintained this whole time).
I have PCOS, with Insulin Resistance being the biggest factor. I aim to eat a low calorie, low carb and low GI diet, which has helped me lose the weight, accompanied by exercise of course.

The end of July I was in a car accident and I have a lower back injury. I have been going through treatment. I feel my energy slipping away and a slow gain in weight because of my inactivity. My eating is still good.

I spoke with my doctor yesterday about what I can do for activity, and he said that it will be hard to determine as most activity causes me pain. It will be a matter of seeing what works best.
I have a herniated disc and bulging discs in my lower back, as well as nerve damage.
Has anyone had these or similar issues, but have found ways to workout that was beneficial or with minimum pain? Any advise for a starting point would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,246 MFP Moderator
    I'm so sorry you're in pain! I think that for now, with your inability to work out, in order to maintain your weight you probably need to just focus on your diet. If you're slowly gaining weight, try creeping your calorie intake down a little. Your maintenance calories will be lower if you're not able to work out. Feel better soon, honey! :flowerforyou:
  • Ludka13
    Ludka13 Posts: 136 Member
    Weight loss is at least 80% diet, so you can do this even without exercise.

I would get some dumbbells and do lifts while seated. Biceps curls, overhead presses, flys, rows, etc... Also while you're in the chair there are some legs lifts you can try. It's hard to know what will hurt there, but knee extensions might be okay. If so you can add ankle weights.

If you look on YouTube there are tons of exercise routines that can be done seated in a chair. Look for chairs, seated, senior or handicapped exercise vids.

Stretching exercises that you can do on the floor might be okay. A book that I really like is "Backache: What Exercises Work" by Sobel and Klein. It's designed for people with bad backs. Lots of very gentle stretches and gentle exercises for your core. It also has a whole chapter for just your neck.

Can you walk? Maybe walk slower so you don't jar your back. It's not a big calorie burner unless you go for distance but it's still good for you. I got a pair of trail runners because they have more cushioning than walkers and they feel great. No more foot pain.

If you have access to a gym a recumbent bike might be okay too.
  • MsStang02
    Ludka13 wrote: »
    Weight loss is at least 80% diet, so you can do this even without exercise.

I would get some dumbbells and do lifts while seated. Biceps curls, overhead presses, flys, rows, etc... Also while you're in the chair there are some legs lifts you can try. It's hard to know what will hurt there, but knee extensions might be okay. If so you can add ankle weights.

If you look on YouTube there are tons of exercise routines that can be done seated in a chair. Look for chairs, seated, senior or handicapped exercise vids.

Stretching exercises that you can do on the floor might be okay. A book that I really like is "Backache: What Exercises Work" by Sobel and Klein. It's designed for people with bad backs. Lots of very gentle stretches and gentle exercises for your core. It also has a whole chapter for just your neck.

Can you walk? Maybe walk slower so you don't jar your back. It's not a big calorie burner unless you go for distance but it's still good for you. I got a pair of trail runners because they have more cushioning than walkers and they feel great. No more foot pain.

If you have access to a gym a recumbent bike might be okay too.

Thank you!! That is some great info. I can walk, but basically when I need to. I have issues with the nerves going into spasm and tripping me up. But I may try a slow walk, and go with a friend to catch me just in case. ;)
    I have been eating at my weight loss goal, but the weight is still slowly coming on. I may need to adjust further I suppose. Going from lightly active to sedentary puts me at 1,200 cals instead of 1,700.

Thank you again for your thoughts, I appreciate it!
  • MsStang02
    davis_em wrote: »
    I'm so sorry you're in pain! I think that for now, with your inability to work out, in order to maintain your weight you probably need to just focus on your diet. If you're slowly gaining weight, try creeping your calorie intake down a little. Your maintenance calories will be lower if you're not able to work out. Feel better soon, honey! :flowerforyou:

Thank you!!!