So disappointed in myself! It hurts!

Options
35 years old, I am 5'11 and went from 264 lbs. down to 177 lbs in 2008-2009. The end of 2009 I had a Hysterectomy which completely through my body for a loop. Over the past 1.5 years I am back up to 225 lbs and so incredibly disgusted with myself. I always told myself no matter what I would NEVER let myself gain that weight back. I worked so hard to get it off and I felt so good about myself that is one thing that I would always have control over.

Well I fell into a major funk. Had the Hysterectomy, lost my job of 11 years, lost the man I love, then lost my dear baby brother all within 6 months time. What can I say- i fell off the I care wagon and just didnt care anymore. I slowly gained the weight back and now I'm so depressed it's hard to get motivated. I hear how much harder it is to lose weight once you hit 35 and that scares me. I will be good and work out, watch my food intake for a week then I just give up out of frustration. I want to be back to a size 12 NOW. I need a serious wake up call and some patience and alot of support. I think this site is a good place to start. Please help !!

Replies

• Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You've come to the right place, dear. We are all here to support each other. I'm sorry to hear of all the hardships you've had recently, and the success I know you will have should help you feel at least a little better.

We are here for you! We can do this! Send me a message any time you need someone to talk to.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'm so sorry you had such a rough couple of years!!! I hope you find this site helpful in your journey and give yourself some credit- you've gone through a lot...
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    You can do this. You are making a start and that is the most difficult thing about it.
  • Solat37_Neil
    Solat37_Neil Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your bad luck :( I'm pretty disgusted with the way I've let myself go too, so maybe we can do this together? Feel free to send a friend req x
  • bluerose84
    Options
    I know how you feel I havent had the losses that you have, but im quite disgusted withmyself os well I have been going to school full time and just didnt watch what i ate got into a lazy funk and didnt exercise. Ive been depressed but i am graduating finally with my RN and I am ready for a change. I have been using this site for almost two weeks and i think it realy helps bc i watch the calories on everything that i eat. Plus there is alot of support here ive seen that I just started using the message board the peaple are amazing. You can get the motivation to change your life if it is whatt you realy want. Feel free to add me as a friend bc i can use all the support i can get as well and it helps to have someone to talk to.:smile:
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Awwwwww, that's so awful! I'm so sorry for all you had to go through! But this site is full of loving people and I know you'll find a big welcome here! Feel free to add me, I love to encourage people! :)
  • adriannenan
    adriannenan Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We're here to help! Always! Anytime you need some encouragement! Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry that you've had the troubles that you've had recently...but for the weight loss; jointing this site is a great choice for giving you motivation and support to help you get back to weight you want. The people here are awesome and live to give and get motivation and support from others. Feel free to add me if you'd like and I will cheerfully be one of your cheerleaders!

Good luck on your weight loss!
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome. I tooam 5'11" and when I stated this journey I was @ 222. Also like you back in my 30's I also lost a bunch of weight and got down to 170ish.

Well last June I had enough. I knew it was going to take work I knew it was going to dedication. So basically I got after it. I started working out 3 x a week 1/2 hour cardio and 1/2 hour weights. At about 20lbs lost I got on MFP and started tracking my food. I started working out longer, harder, etc. Then I got a job at the gym. I joined some challenges and I'm pushing myself more and more each week. I've decided that I would do a tri this coming fall.

You can do it too. It at first it was all about the weight, but now it's about being in great shape and treating myself well. My whole family eats better, we all exercise more, and we're all happier.

You deserve it. So now let's get it done. :)
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    So sad to hear all those crappy things happened all in a row. It's easy to get overwhelmed, so why don't you look at it in a "one day at a time" frame of mind? Be patient with yourself, and be proud of yourself every day that you exercise and eat healthy. I used to think I didn't need a website like this to lose weight, but I did it because a friend of mine was doing it, and it has been helpful thinking about things on a day to day basis. Take pride in small victories, maybe that will help you feel better. When I join a new gym and I try a machine I forgot how to use, I think "ok, you got over that". . . or when I get my sugars or carbs down from the day before I think the same thing. I also don't let myself freak out if on the weekend my counts are in the red. I just get back on the horse.

Feel free to friend me if you need to chat with someone. . I promise I'll be supportive! :)
  • papageno45
    papageno45 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hey,

The mere fact that you are asking for help is a GREAT sign. You have such inner strength that you did an awesome job in the past to lose weight. I have absolutely no idea what you have gone through the past few months. I also have no idea how you have managed to survive and maintain your sanity. I just know you will be just fine. I know this sounds really corny but, slowly and surely you will get right back to where you want to be. And why not, you have done it before.

Hang In There,
    Papa Geno :tongue:
  • niknak0508
    niknak0508 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Life can definitely take a toll on you! We're here to help you and keep you motivated. If you would like to add me, please feel free! I love this website I have been a member for nearly 2 weeks and I have nothing but GREAT things to say about the people and the motivation it's given to me. It's a good start and my first piece of advice would be to set yourself a goal.....

I've started to drink a lot of green tea in my diet, it's a natural fat burner and will help you burn more calories. That is something I change in my diet and it's helped me lose 4 pounds in one solid week. I workout at the gym 4-5 times a week and keep track of EVERYTHING I put in my mouth. It's definitely hard to stay motivated when you work hard at it and don't lose a pound, always remember not to weigh yourself more then once a week and remember, just because you may not have lost any weight, doesn't mean you haven't lost inches! Tell yourself you CAN and you WILL do it! Good luck to you!

6720589.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    First of all don't be disappointed in yourself,that's been a horiffic couple of years and we all deal wh extreme stress diffrently.your comming through the back side and seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.time heels all pain.now that you've decided to get back on track you have to give it more than a week. Make a commitment to give 100 % for a couple months and I bet by then the weight will be comming off and you will want to continue.remember to love you and you will do great
  • evov31
    evov31 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel regarding the weight. I lost 70 lbs in 2004. I lost my dad and totally used that as an excuse to give up (or not care as you put it, just using my words here...) and gained it all back plus 4 ounces, just to add insult to my own injury! My advice, if you want it, is to not focus on what is hard (a little older, or whatever) but on the known. You did it before. Period. You already know (whether you believe it or not!) you can do it. You have already taken the first steps to doing it again. Go for it!
  • janalayn
    janalayn Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm over 40 and having success with this program ... 21 pounds since January...feel free to add me if you need friends. You deserve to be healthy.
  • teasdino
    teasdino Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Wow. Babe..you have gone through so much I am proud of you for where you are right now. So much .....trauma. That you are not having a full mental break or on drugs, or an alcoholic.....whew. And I am not being sarcastic...I am dead on serious. You have it in you.
    First, give yourself a break. Between the surgery and the emotional stress your body has to be out of wack. Secondly, develop your game plan for how you plan to get healthier. Don't think of this as a fast thing but of a lifestyle. A new and healthier you. I would say that three should be to expect to tweak that plan as time goes by. And four, get a good support group. That is what we are here for. You can send me a friend request. You can go and read my people first to get to know me better :-)
    Looking forward to your success pics. ;-)
    Jac
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i don't think it's harder to lose weight over 35, but for many people over 35, it's harder to get active. so you just have to get active and stay active.
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    Welcome to MFP my love. Don't be too hard on yourself as it sounds like you have been through a lot. However, remember the way you feel about yourself right now and summon this memory whenever you feel like giving up on getting healthy and losing weight.

I'm sending lots of hugs your way, sounds like you really need them. I pray the next 6 months are filled with nothing but happiness and blessings. Feel free to send me a friend request x
  • KatiePeca
    KatiePeca Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    35 years old, I am 5'11 and went from 264 lbs. down to 177 lbs in 2008-2009. The end of 2009 I had a Hysterectomy which completely through my body for a loop. Over the past 1.5 years I am back up to 225 lbs and so incredibly disgusted with myself. I always told myself no matter what I would NEVER let myself gain that weight back. I worked so hard to get it off and I felt so good about myself that is one thing that I would always have control over.

Well I fell into a major funk. Had the Hysterectomy, lost my job of 11 years, lost the man I love, then lost my dear baby brother all within 6 months time. What can I say- i fell off the I care wagon and just didnt care anymore. I slowly gained the weight back and now I'm so depressed it's hard to get motivated. I hear how much harder it is to lose weight once you hit 35 and that scares me. I will be good and work out, watch my food intake for a week then I just give up out of frustration. I want to be back to a size 12 NOW. I need a serious wake up call and some patience and alot of support. I think this site is a good place to start. Please help !!

We have similar goals! I'm 30, 5'11" and would love to be a size 12 again, my goal weight is between 170-180 pounds. In college I went from 220 pounds to 165, then I got married, had kids, one of my newborn twin sons died, my marriage had some difficulties, and life just got too rough for me to worry about weight, I ate my cares away. I just had our fourth baby a few weeks ago, and I weigh 265 pounds as of today, I CANNOT believe I let myself gain all that weight back plus so much more, I am so mad at myself!

Add me as a friend if you'd like to support one another, I'd be happy to have a buddy along the way and goodness knows I need the motivation!

Katie
  • jentidd
    jentidd Posts: 80
    Options
    well welcome! I hope this site will help you rediscover your motivation and help you on your journey! Feel free to add me and we can work on it together!