My First Post After Losing 109 lbs!

Options
I started my weight loss program after I went to a meeting with my new PCP. At the age of 57 he informed me that if I did not do something about my weight I would not reach the age of 60. I had talked off and on with my old PCP about weight loss surgery however I was reluctant to go through another surgery. I have suffered through 32 previous operation for a variety of different things. many are a result of having played 14 years of football including three in the NFL. Finally in September of 2010 I had my initial meeting to have a gastric bypass. I weighed in at 506lbs and was told I had to lose 56lbs before they would do the surgery. Well I started out on a 2800 calories per day diet and I also used the point system from a nationally know weight loss company. At first the weight came off very easy. I had a meeting with one of their dieticians and the meeting did not go well in my opinion. About 3 months had gone by and I had lost over 40lbs. One of their requirements was that you keep a food journal. I neglected to mention that with in the first month I found this web site so I used the food entry journal to keep track of everything I had eaten and I still continue to do that today almost 9 months later. In this meeting with this very attractive 25 year old dietician that had most likely never had to lose an ounch of weigt in her life she proceeded to rip my journal entries. I found her to be border line disrespectful and on numerous occasions she talked down to me. Yes I am morbidly obese and I neglected to mention that I am disabled unable to walk more than 50 feet without the aid of a rollator but unintelligent I am not. As I became disabled back in 1998 with the onset of a degenerative spinal condition I not only continued to teach in a public high school I was also the high school head football coach until 2005 when after my third spinal operation the pain and side effects from the pain medicine made it impossible to continue working and I went on disability retirement. I am proud to say though that I earned my Masters degree in School Administration but due to my disability I have not been able to use it. But damn it I earned it! Needless to say the disparaging remarks from this dietician did not sit well with me and 48 hours later I called the doctors office and informed them that I could not follow through with the operation and to please remove my name from their waiting list!
My weight loss continues on a regular basis usually 2-3 lbs per week sometimes more and sometimes less. All told at my last weigh in I have now lost 109lbs. I continue to work now part time at another high school as a teachers aid and I volunteer at another high school helping their track and football teams. I am very proud of my weight loss and how I have been able to reach and eclipse my weight loss goals. Initially I had wanted to lose 100lbs by the end of June when school ends but I had to move that up to the end of March. For the first time in over a decadeI am no longer in the 400's as 506 less 109 is 397! A year from now I firmly believe that I will be leaving the 300lb weight category and be in the 200's now it will be the high 200's but what the heck. I now try to do a little exercise program for 30 minutes 5 days per week. I purchased some resistance bands with handles and those are what I use. Part of my celebration was now that I have left the 400's in my rear view mirror was to allow myself to write this entry and hopefully give someone else the motivation to say damn it if this disabled guy can do it so can I! Good Luck and thanks for reading this.

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    That's so awesome! Keep up the great work.
  • Wraiythe
    Wraiythe Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Well if you wanted to give motivation you certainly succeeded!! What you've done considering the fact that you have physical limitations is Awesome! And now I need to go and do the rest of the workout that I have been hmming and hawing about because I have a spasm in my hip LOL!! Thank you!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Wow!! You've done an AMAZING job!!!! I'm so happy for you! I hope this weight loss not only helps you live longer, but also helps you enjoy the life you have! It sounds like you do enjoy it, and being around kids will keep you young, at least young at heart!!!!

Congrats on what you've accomplished so far... and good luck on your continued journey!!!!!
  • PediNurse67
    PediNurse67 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Amazing!
  • ivyann73deleted
    Options
    Truly inspirational. Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story.
  • skynyrdchick
    Options
    What an amazing loss! I am very proud of you :o) You definitely motivate me!!
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    awesome.keep up the good work!!be proud!!
    jane:drinker:
  • silvam10
    silvam10 Posts: 1
    Options
    Wow! What an amazing story! Keep up the good work!

Btw, what's your name? I'm kinda curious since you mentioned you were in the NFL.
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    *applauds*
    You show them!!! (rolls my eyes at the way that dietician behaved, i sure hope you told your Dr about her manner!...though in a very roundabout way she maybe did you a favour *lil laugh*)
  • cfer843625
    Options
    good job!!!!! :happy:
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    You're awesome! To have overcome a disabling condition is amazing enough, but to lose 109lbs is even more amazing. I hope that the motivation you have never leaves you, and you continue your loss until you are satisfied with your weight. Congratulations and keep up the great work!
  • Yvette40
    Yvette40 Posts: 1
    Options
    WoW! Thanks for sharing your story..... What a motivation!! :-)
  • cfred40
    cfred40 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I hope you feel so proud of your amazing achievement. Your post is both inspiring and motivating. Thank You. Best wishes on your journey.
  • suecq09
    suecq09 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing! So inspirational to see someone doing it the hard way - and having success in a big way!
  • Sherbog
    Sherbog Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    My first thoughts after reading your post was how courages you are. Your post confirms my thoughts that we are only treated in a manner that we allow. I have noticed that as a thin person I get treated differently (nicer) than when I was heavy. You managed to go on even though you were treated disrespectful. Not only are you a committed and dedicated person your a great writer. Your post was engaging.
  • sremarie
    sremarie Posts: 37
    Options
    That's sooo awesome!! Keep up your dedication it'll serve you well!
  • sass30
    sass30 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    You are doing a great job, keep on keepin on. good luck to you!
  • LynnBirchfield
    LynnBirchfield Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Wow, wow, wow!! This is an amazing post and you are an amazing person for having accomplished what you have. You are truly an inspiration. It definitely sounds like you have your head in a good place -- that's the first hurdle (at least I think). I'd like to send you a friend request so I can keep up with your amazing journey. If you don't accept it, I understand. At any rate, I wish you the best of luck in your journey.

Lynn
  • jennro7781
    jennro7781 Posts: 208
    Options
    Thank you for posting this Coach! I am truly inspired as I have over 100 pounds to lose and am disabled myself. Thank you for not giving up and for showing me that eventhough we may have our limitations we can still get this done! Cheers to a healthier you (and me!)!! :)
  • k2d4p
    k2d4p Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I am dissapointed in that dietition. You would think in her line of work (only dealing with people who need to lose weight) she would at the very least be respectful. I appreciate a little tough love, but it from what you said she crossed the line of respect. That is just wrong.

Having said that, awesome job on the weight loss!! Keep going and you will be in the 200s before you know it! :smile: