Achy and hot knee. Will this go?

Options
gagajenks
gagajenks Posts: 25 Member
Hi everyone.

Im still fairly new to regular exercise in my life, around 2 and a half months now and counting, but these last 2 weeks, I have been getting pains in my knee. Been to the GP and he said that they will go, its just my body getting used to regular exercise. The one knee (L) is worse than the other and sometimes gets hot. I normally put an ice pack on it after working out if its very painful. Should I be wearing a support whilst I work out? Dr said I should be fine.
Basically, Im here to ask for any advice and if any one else has come across this when they were new to exercise.

Many thanks in advance.
:)

Replies

• _sirenofthesea_
    _sirenofthesea_ Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Welcome to my world - LOL
    - I would suggest a sports medicine doctor - while they may still say all is fine, they can guide you regarding wraps, stretches, etc that will help you along your journey! You don't want it to sideline you - so don't let it go too long!
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    "No pain, no gain" is a misleading phrase. It should not hurt when you exercise, especially your joints. Muscles get sore, not hurt, and you rest them and they recover. Joints should not get sore, especially when you are starting to exercise again. Joint pain should be a warning to back off.

The suggestion to see a sports doc is a good one. GPs are just that, general.

• ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    removed double-post
  • DiamondDiva914
    DiamondDiva914 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My right knee gives me the blues, and it's due to arthritis. I use a brace that has hinged metal stays on either side to give it support and alleviate some of the stress on it while I'm exercising.
  • gagajenks
    Options
    Thank you so much for your replies so far. As mentioned, new to exercise and want is as a life changer and not a fly by thing. I will get in touch with a sports doc and see what they say :)
    It can be painful first thing in the am until Ive walked around for a bit, exercise is fine, its the aches afterwards.
  • crowleynm
    Options
    Perhaps taking a Glucosamine & Chondroitin supplement will help. Suffered from the same symptoms in my left knee and one of my Marines made a recommendation. Has helped tremendously and my only regret was that I didn't take it sooner. Not saying it will work for you but certainly something worthy of some research.

Don't want to name any specific product but a simple search will point you in the right direction.
  • gagajenks
    Options
    Thanks Crowleynm, I shall look into it!
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    What exercises have you done and where do you feel the pain?
  • gagajenks
    Options
    cycling, yoga and some Jillian Michaels workouts, HIIT, 3 mins of strength, 2 mins of cadio and 1 abs. The pain is in my right knee more than the left and hurts more when I bend but not so much when I exercise, just a slight "ache", if thats makes sense.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've had some knee issues since I began weightlifting. Daily fish oil supplements have helped. I also recommend epsom salt baths and foam rolling the shins and IT bands (the outside of the thigh) before exercising.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    So warm to the touch is actually not a good sign, and I'm surprised a doctor told you that was normal. Warmth is an indicator of swelling, swelling in turn often is a sign of injury. So icing, elevating and lowering the intensity of your workouts (if not taking some extra rest days) would be a good idea.

It looks like the majority of the workouts you're doing are fairly high intensity. I'd recommend stopping anything that is directly causing you pain and seeing either a Sports Doc like recommended above or a physio therapist.

It could honestly be anything from an imbalance in how you've developed muscle in your legs that could be fixed through specific exercises or taping/wraping during workouts or it could be something slightly more serious like a meniscus tear.

Better safe than sorry.
  • gagajenks
    Options
    More great advice, thanks everyone, much appreciated. I normally do workouts Monday to Friday, (between 30 - 50 minutes depending how circumstances etc), have Saturday off and try and get a cycle in on Sundays.

Im going to get some Glucosamine Sulphate tomorrow to make a start with that and see if it helps, and arrange an appt for a Sports Doc to take a look at my knee.
  • gagajenks
    Options
    Im happy to report that Ive only been taken the Glucosamine Sulphate for 4 days but I can feel a difference already. :)
  • crowleynm
    Options
    Awesome. I too was amazed at how quickly my body responded. The brand I use mentions how quickly it would act but I couldn't help but to be skeptical. I was wrong. Nonetheless, I'd recommend paying attention to the pain so as to avoid doing any damage (I know it goes without saying).