Roomates, holidays and birthday!

Options
Romyarts2014
Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
HEYO!

So I live in the Netherlands in a studentkamer (a big house with 5 roomates)
Anyways instead of us all cooking random meals for our selves each night , we decided it would be easier if we ate together . Anyways we have a board for m-sun we write our name down on the day we are wanting to cook and what the meal is going to be and the people who want to eat with will write there names down next to it. Anyways ! I am making a salmon , pasta and shrimp dish on Tuesday. We all agreed we would only cook healthy foods! and I am so excited about it. However when it comes to the holidays and cooking I SUCK!

I love to bake and cook but I literally dont know how to make healthy stuff. And expecially now with my favorite time of the year when I make pumpkin pie and sweet potatoe pies and all the yummy corn bread, yams , mac and cheeze etc.. But its just not healthy ! Anyone have healthier meal ideas, dessert ideas and snack ideas?

Also my birthday is in 2 weeks (ill be 22 :p just saying :) ) what would be the perfect birthday dinner ?

Thanks yall!
Feel free to add me!

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Try skinny taste for lots of meal ideas. Cutting down on the amount of oil/fat you use to cook is a good idea, as is using greek yoghurt to substitute for cream/sour cream. Bulking dishes out with veggies, either in the dish or as a side, is a must. You could even surprise them with zoodles instead of pasta (zucchini noodles).
  • shattrdillusion
    Options
    Try substituting apple sauce for some of the oil when you bake, you can also use refined coconut oil instead of butter or shortening too!

I like a lot of recipes from Annie's Eats, her recipes are pretty easy to follow and healthy too!

You can add me and look at my diary if you like to get some ideas, I do have the occasional day (or two!) where I completely fall off the wagon but I'm honest about it and can give you recipes for any meal on there that doesn't have it spelled out.
  • Gidzmo
    Gidzmo Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    We have holidays upcoming here in the US also (Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas)--all loaded with not-so-healthy stuff. I don't know what are traditional holiday foods in the Netherlands, but we get plenty of chocolate and other sweets!

Try steaming veggies or eating raw (most nutritional value when raw).
    Try swapping out the mayo for some Greek yogurt.
    Try some herbs instead of butter and/or salt.
    Avacado might have a lot of fat, but it's vegetable fat (and thus good for you).

Here are some more helpful hints.
    firstplace4health.com/live_it/479/supersimple_switches_for_your_recipes

firstplace4health.com/live_it/474/supersimple_switches_that_trick_you_into_eating_healthier

Another good site: www.cookingchanneltv.com. Suggest you try this site, too:
    http://www.kelseyskitchen.com/oliver-2/recipes

• Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips yall!