Should I increase my surplus? - Clean bulk

Options
Whagwan83
Whagwan83 Posts: 81 Member
So after running a deficit at around 1700 NET calories, I dropped to my desired weight and started going to the gym. I go three to four times a week, three days doing 40mins of weights (Chest/shoulders, arms, legs/core) and a kettlebell class if I make the fourth day. I still cycle commute and play sport so do do cardio this way, but I log all exercise.

MFP calculates my maintenance at around 2000 NET calories, so initially I started eating around 2250 but in two weeks my weight stayed exactly the same and I didn't feel I was getting any bigger and so I increased it to 2500 NET calories the last two weeks.

So in the last two weeks eating 2500 NET calories I have put on only 0.2Kg (0.45lb) and gained 1cm on my biceps and chest. I do feel I'm getting stronger, and increasing my weights each week, but this I imagine this could be just as much technique.

I've heard you should aim for 0.5lb/week gain for a clean bulk, so should I increase my NET calories by another 250 or so? My diary is open if anyone wants to look...

Replies

• 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Depends on how much time you want to spend bulking. I'm the vain kind, so I only bulk in winter so I would just jump right in and add another 100-200 cals. But if you got time on your hands I'd wait another week or so and see how it plays out.

When you say NET do you eat back all your cycling to work, sports and gym? cause if any of that is put into your daily activity, that might be the culprit. Check out scoobysworkshop.com or iifym.com calorie calculator to calculate your TDEE (which includes exercise) might give you a better clue...
  • Whagwan83
    Options
    Yes, I eat back all my cycling, sports and gym. I usually eat around 2500-3000 calories/day. The iifym calculator gives me a TDEE of 2300 so I should be gaining...
  • dieselbyte
    dieselbyte Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    If you have an estimate of TDEE, you shouldn't be eating back calories, since activity is included in the calculatiion. However, the IIFYM calculator is only a starting point, not exact to you and your activity levels. From what you stated your activity levels are, 2300 is probably too low. Also, two weeks isn't much time to determine if your bulk is going well or not. If your goal is to lean bulk, which I believe is the best way to go, then yes, you should aim for 250 calories over TDEE - but stick with it. See where that gets you in the next couple of weeks, then re-adjust if you need to. As with a cut, you should bulk slowly to limit fat gain. Eating more calories doesn't mean that you will gain more muslce. Genetically we can only put on so much muscle in a month or year - the rest will be fat.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd go ahead and increase again. As a guy, you can build more muscle so you could even shoot for a 1lb a week gain if you wanted to. You will probably need to continue adding calories as your bulk goes on as maintenance tends to 'catch up with you'.
  • Whagwan83
    Options
    dieselbyte wrote: »
    If you have an estimate of TDEE, you shouldn't be eating back calories, since activity is included in the calculatiion. However, the IIFYM calculator is only a starting point, not exact to you and your activity levels. From what you stated your activity levels are, 2300 is probably too low. Also, two weeks isn't much time to determine if your bulk is going well or not. If your goal is to lean bulk, which I believe is the best way to go, then yes, you should aim for 250 calories over TDEE - but stick with it. See where that gets you in the next couple of weeks, then re-adjust if you need to. As with a cut, you should bulk slowly to limit fat gain. Eating more calories doesn't mean that you will gain more muslce. Genetically we can only put on so much muscle in a month or year - the rest will be fat.

I eat back calories in MFP, in which I log my exercise. The TDEE value is just for information.

I'll probably stick it another week or two, no change then increase...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm in a similar situation after just losing 40 pounds I'm now trying to bulk but the first thing is getting to know your maintenance requirements. The calculators are just estimates so you will have to make sure that you log well and track your results to get an idea of where you really stand. I'm slowly increasing my intake and making notes but it's not an exact science since our bodies are always in a state of flux. You could opt to just go higher and then lower your calories if you find you are gaining too much and feel that you are gaining too much fat, or you could slowly increase until you feel the increase on the scale represents a good balance of muscle vs fat gain.

Remember, you will still have to cut later after bulking so you don't have to be dead on but I always find bulking harder than fat loss.
  • markop2003
    Options
    Ignore the scale.
    My lifts have consistently increased yet according to the scale I've lost 2kg, as long as your lifts are increasing you're doing fine.