Low carb

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Sweetalot wrote: »
    Yes, you can lose weight quickly cutting out carbs but you'll gain the weight back just as fast once you reintroduce them to your meal plans like everyone I know who went this route experienced. You're better off customizing a daily meal plan that takes all food groups into consideration and monitoring your portion sizes. I don't know what your current fitness ability is post-ACL but hopefully you'll be able to do walk around or cycle around for means of exercise if you can't at this point.

As for your intake, what MFP suggests for you once you've entered your information is a good starting point; you can adjust from there.

Why would the OP gain weight when reintroducing carbs? Doesn't weight gain come from a calorie surplus??

As for weight re-gain, MOST people regain regardless of the approach used to diet (yes, even on MFP). "Everyone you know" failed to have a plan for after weight loss.

Glycogen, water retention.
    So if someone loses 150 pounds on a low carb diet, they'll GAIN 150 pounds of water when they start eating carbs? :D umm, no.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    [quote="Sabine_Stroehm;30015967

"Why would the OP gain weight when reintroducing carbs? Doesn't weight gain come from a calorie surplus??

As for weight re-gain, MOST people regain regardless of the approach used to diet (yes, even on MFP). "Everyone you know" failed to have a plan for after weight loss.

Any post-weight loss plan would require putting back in the carbs to the normal level for overall long-term health. No one can live on a quick fix diet for the rest of their lives or they'll constantly be on one diet or another.
    Why do you assume low carb is a quick fix diet?

I didn't.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There is no successful post-weight loss plan when on a restrictive diet of any kind. Once you re-introduce a food group back in, there isn't always a way to maintain the weight unless you just cut out another food group as compensation. Everyone knows that quick fix diet plans are not designed to be on for all that long.

People REGAIN because they eat at a calorie surplus.
    And yes, people regain When they lose on MFP because they start eating at a calorie surplus as well.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    So if someone loses 150 pounds on a low carb diet, they'll GAIN 150 pounds of water when they start eating carbs? :D umm, no.

I don't recall stating a specific number that one would gain back. Do you?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Atkins, South Beach and many others have successful weight loss plans.

SoBe isn't "low carb".

• MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    MelRC117 wrote: »
    [quote="Sabine_Stroehm;30015967

"Why would the OP gain weight when reintroducing carbs? Doesn't weight gain come from a calorie surplus??

Any post-weight loss plan would require putting back in the carbs to the normal level for overall long-term health. No one can live on a quick fix diet for the rest of their lives or they'll constantly be on one diet or another.
    Why do you assume low carb is a quick fix diet?

I didn't.

I know you didn't. Sweetalot did.

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »

SoBe isn't "low carb".

That depends on who you ask. :)
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, some people think 100g or less is low carb. Then there are Atkin induction folks who go as low as 20g of carbs per day. I eat a lot of carbs (almost 200g a day sometimes) and I still manage to lose weight. I guess I would consider 100g or less to be low carb for me. If you want to drop the water weight really quickly, drink lots of water and stay super strict to your calorie goal, and try to get in some exercise everyday. Good luck :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

SoBe isn't "low carb".

Mayo Clinic and SoBe themselves say it is not a low carb diet. Anything else is noise.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options

SoBe isn't "low carb".

Mayo Clinic and SoBe themselves say it is not a low carb diet. Anything else is noise.

There is always noise. No matter what you are talking about.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    So if someone loses 150 pounds on a low carb diet, they'll GAIN 150 pounds of water when they start eating carbs?

Hope so, I would love to see where 4 gallons (and not the small American ones) would go in my case.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2014
    Options

Nope. but that's the basic premise of your post. If it's not, then why reply to MY question with that particular reply, Bro?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

SoBe isn't "low carb".

I don't think it is. It doesn't track carbs, it doesn't count them. It can be pretty moderate carb.
  • LolBroScience
    edited October 2014
    Options

Nope. but that's the basic premise of your post. If it's not, then why reply to MY question with that particular reply, Bro?

You asked if weight gain only comes in the form of a caloric surplus.

I simply stated you will gain weight back if you reintroduce carbs. It will be in the form of glycogen and water weight, bro.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You asked if weight gain only comes in the form of a caloric surplus.

I simply stated you will gain weight back if you reintroduce carbs. It will be in the form of glycogen and water weight, bro.

And how much weight could that be, max?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    You tell me
  • gmstarr1
    gmstarr1 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've lost almost 40 pounds on low carb since the beginning of February. I've been trying to lose weight for a decade, and it has never worked. Moderation didn't work for me. I tried it for 10 years. Sometimes it's a challenge for me to stay low carb, but it's been a lot easier than just a moderation diet. I get around 10% of my calories from carbs which is around 33 grams. Basically I do keto. 70% fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs.

When I decided to do low carb, I did a lot of research. There's a lot of books out there and websites that will point you in the right direction. Also if you search for 'keto' and 'low carb' in the groups, you'll find a lot more help on one of those boards than on the general boards which generally look down on low carb diets.

Good luck!

• supersoniccat
    Options
    MityMax96 wrote: »
    If you like carbs, keep carbs in your diet
    Just lower your over all calories.

So far the wisest thing said so far :) My problem are Carbs, but I am as well reducing... not ecluding, but tightning the dimension of the proportion per meal. For example, instead of 2 potatoes.. i eat 1 .. I put only too soup spoons of rice... changed for brown rice/pasta
    and compensate the absence of carbs to curb the apetite with... veggies :)

It's helping me to get good results

• fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    There is no successful post-weight loss plan when on a restrictive diet of any kind. Once you re-introduce a food group back in, there isn't always a way to maintain the weight unless you just cut out another food group as compensation. Everyone knows that quick fix diet plans are not designed to be on for all that long.

People REGAIN because they eat at a calorie surplus.
    And yes, people regain When they lose on MFP because they start eating at a calorie surplus as well.

THIS^^ I lost a lot of weight doing low carb, then I switched to counting calories to lose the last 15-20 lbs. I did not immediately gain all the weight back, and once I reached my goal, I kept it off for over 5 years. I did eventually gain the weight back, gradually, after injuries and slipping back into poor eating habits. This can happen no matter how you lose the weight.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    You tell me

I'm not the one who made the assertion, but I'd say....less than 10LBS?