Elliptical machines - recommendations for affordable models that fit in small homes?

Options
I am looking to buy an elliptical machine to use in my small home over the winter. I have knee issues and so have to give up lunges and squats for a while. :'(

If you have a recommendation for a smaller machine with a reasonable price, I'd love to hear it!

Also, if you have tried one that you hated, I want to know that too (so I can avoid it).

Thanks!

Replies

• spring831
    spring831 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    DON'T buy this one unless you are 5 feet tall or shorter, the stride is very small so it is not smooth at all and will cause more knee pain!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunny-Health-Fitness-Pink-Magnetic-Elliptical/21936731
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    spring831 wrote: »
    DON'T buy this one unless you are 5 feet tall or shorter, the stride is very small so it is not smooth at all and will cause more knee pain!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sunny-Health-Fitness-Pink-Magnetic-Elliptical/21936731

I did not realize there not that expensive. My might get one for next year.
  • spring831
    spring831 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    The really good ones cost upwards of $500, but what I have learned is it is really important to buy one that you can actually stand on and use a little first to see if it is right for you because there are so many different styles. Places like Dick's Sporting goods, Sports Authority, Sears, and even some Walmarts have some floor displays that you can try. Try it first then spend the money. I bought that one online thinking, it was not that expensive and would be great when I didn't have time to go to the gym, but for me I should have spent a little more because now I have one, but I don't use it because it is not right for me.
  • jessilee119
    jessilee119 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    We bought the Gold's Gym elliptical at Walmart. This was well over 2 years ago and it still works just as good and when we put it together. It was definitely under $500 (may have been under $300 now that I think about it). We've gotten our money's worth out of it. Love having it and both the hubby and I still use it. (BTW when we bought it we were living in an apartment so it should fit into a smaller home - and it survived the moving truck when we bought a house 2 years ago so that can attest to its durability as well). Good luck with your purchase!!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Smooth has some nice compact models. I've been using mine for around 5 years or so, it works great.
  • vickimoore986
    Options
    I've been researching this myself and haven't heard of Smooth. Do you know the website address? I have read that Sole, Precor, and Proform are good companies. I have also read that rear drive ones are the best.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    idk about fitting, but for affordable--buy used from a used sporting store, craigslist, or classified ads.