Horrible constipation

Options
I've only pooed one or two times this week, and each time was pretty pathetic. I've taken miralax, fiber supplements, ex lax max strength (not all at the same time, but over the course of the last several days with increasing strength). Although I took ex lax fifteen hours ago, I haven't had a bowel movement. However, I am experienced a gut-wrenching stomach ache.

What should I do? This is awful!

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Try upping water intake.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Exercise. Even going for a walk every day will help. Regular exercise is the best way to keep the poop moving.

Drink water. Not juice, pop, etc. Water. Only water.

Fiber. Take more in. If there is something that you normally avoid eating because it makes you poop, eat it. Ice cream always does the trick for me.

A little caffeine helps, but you don't want to have to rely on that or develop a habit.

Some people swear by colonic massages. Never helped me, but if that many people say it works, maybe there is something to it. :)

If you're eating right and exercising and taking Milk of Mag and cannot go...or it's happening a lot...it's time to call the doctor.
  • Nekrachael
    Nekrachael Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Also- if you are eating at a fairly extreme deficit, you may not be constipated. You may just have less to eliminate. Maybe TMI, but worth considering.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Have you checked to see if anything is actually in there?

Is it that you are constipated or has your waste just dropped in volume?
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    M go to cure, a lot of water, a lot of coffee, a walk, and the need to get somewhere quickly without enough time to poop. When ever I am in a hurry, the urge comes :neutral_face:
  • Kalikel
    Options
    MamaRiss wrote: »
    M go to cure, a lot of water, a lot of coffee, a walk, and the need to get somewhere quickly without enough time to poop. When ever I am in a hurry, the urge comes :neutral_face:

LOL! Or go shopping at Pier 1. It never fails. Every time I'm in that store, I have to leave. :)
  • Brunette122
    Brunette122 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    try prune juice and lots of water. fiber will make you really constipated unless you follow up with water
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Try some long, warm baths. Or a cigarette.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

LOL! Or go shopping at Pier 1. It never fails. Every time I'm in that store, I have to leave. :)

It's Target for me. :) OP, what's your fat intake look like?

• darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Try stool softeners. Dulcolax makes some. Make sure it's stool softeners and not a laxative though.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Exercise.

Drink water.

Fiber.

A little caffeine helps

all of this. if you are not eating fresh fruit/veg daily, do so. it's what your guts are built for. "an apple a day" is no joke.
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I exercise 3 times a week.

I drink on average 9+ cups of water a day.

Tried coffee. Normally it helps but this time it didn't.

I ate a whole pot of curry, stuffed full of fiber. Most of it hasn't come out yet.

I'll try prune juice.

do stool softeners work better than laxatives?
  • chubby_checkers
    Options
    Too much fiber can stop you up if you don't have a decent fat intake to "grease" things up. How much fat do you eat per day?
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    These last few days I've eaten a lot of fat in the form of fatty fish.
  • Kalikel
    Options
    HereLieWe wrote: »

I ate a whole pot of curry, stuffed full of fiber. Most of it hasn't come out yet.

I'll try prune juice.

No. Stool softeners will not make you go. They just soften up the poop, which makes it easier to pass when the time comes that you do, actually poop. If you want to get one, find the Colace, read the ingredients and then look for a generic with the same ingredient. The generics work just as well and are cheaper.

Laxatives can cause terrible cramping and will cause a lot of diarrhea. They're kind of a last resort for self-treating. I took a Dulcolax once and Holy Mother of God (!) was that an unpleasant experience. No, thank you. If you decide to go that route (which I do not personally recommend), be sure you can be in the house for 24 hours after taking it.
  • dannyxtyler
    dannyxtyler Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    On my most desperate day, I took the max dosage Milk of Magnesia. Just a warning, though, if you try it: stay close to the pot for the whole day, and don't attempt to pass gas.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    NV Natural Calm (Magnesium Citrate) takes care of me being bound up.
  • chubby_checkers
    Options
    What about nuts, oils, butter, avocado, that kind of thing? Adding these things to your day can help.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    HereLieWe wrote: »

I'll try prune juice.

How long have you been on laxatives? They can dehydrate you and cause long term constipation.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no diary- can't see fat content- but I bet you my paycheck today that you're trying to diet via " low fat" and you're taking a ton of fiber.

so yeah- no wonder you're all stopped up.

fiber = compact solid stool
    fat = movement

eat more fat.

white castle- then go sit in turnpike traffic for at least an hour- you'll have to go within minutes. I promise.