squats or leg press machine to create a butt?

Options
I'm hoping it's called a "leg press machine"--it's that machine at the gym, where there is a wide area for your feet and you push against your feet upwards and squat back down and repeat....anyways, which is better for creating a butt, that machine or traditional squats?

I've been working out 4 times a week, doing cardio and lifting *with machines and I'm def seeing gradual changes, but I never have done any old school squats at the gym---always used the machines that have pictures of "your butt" being worked---wondering if I should skip machine....

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Squats with free weights.

Also consider adding:

deadlifts / straight leg deadlifts
    hip thrusts / glute bridges
    lunges
    split squats
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Squats with free weights.

Also consider adding:

deadlifts / straight leg deadlifts
    hip thrusts / glute bridges
    lunges
    split squats

Also, glute/ham raises.
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've stayed away from squats because of my back? Should I?
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    What`s wrong with your back?
  • mwhite61451
    mwhite61451 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Lower back-it's congenital. Have had it since I was kid.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

That's a question for your doctor or perhaps a physical therapist.
  • thepandapost
    thepandapost Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Along with the advice above to create a butt B) look into barre-type moves. Not all moves require a barre (some can be done with just a yoga mat) and whenever I am consistent with them, my butt has never looked better :)
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Read up on "The Glute Guy's" website:
    http://bretcontreras.com/
  • dlvuyovich
    dlvuyovich Posts: 102 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Defintely see a doctor or physical therapist first.

Having enough core strength, regardless if you have/don't have lower back issues is pertinent to putting squats in your strength training. After you are cleared from your doctor/PT, try to find someone who is experienced in teaching someone the proper form and technique for squatting and see if they can help you get started. If you can't, then do some research, there are a lot of resources out there (good and bad but after a while you will be able to tell the difference).

The leg press can help, depending on where your feet are, it will hit different areas, you will still need your core to help you with this.

There are many ways to work your glutes, and past comments are all helpful exercises. Also to consider plyometric/explosive movements, jump squats (no weight), speed skaters, box jumps, sprints, just to name a few. These will not only hit the gluteals but you can work your cardio in there as well.

Good luck, have fun and be safe!
  • gelove84
    gelove84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Alycat411 wrote: »
    I'm hoping it's called a "leg press machine"--it's that machine at the gym, where there is a wide area for your feet and you push against your feet upwards and squat back down and repeat....anyways, which is better for creating a butt, that machine or traditional squats?

I've been working out 4 times a week, doing cardio and lifting *with machines and I'm def seeing gradual changes, but I never have done any old school squats at the gym---always used the machines that have pictures of "your butt" being worked---wondering if I should skip machine....

I would try to stay away from the leg press machine. It promotes a rounding of the lower back. Learn to squat properly in the squat rack, not the smith machine. Also learn how to deadlift. Lunges and cable kickbacks will work for more isolation. Trust me if you progress with squats and deadlift you will work your butt into buns of steel, not to mention the benefits they will have on your entire body.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Leg press hurts my back way more than squatting. I have a recurring low back injury that flairs up once in a while so I have to be careful so I choose squatting over leg press
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    See a PT or doctor, and do squats after you're given the OK. I have lower back issues as well, and after getting your back checked out, squats will help more overall.

Don't be afraid of bodyweight or dumbbell squats, either! Going lighter can make a huge difference when you're recovering.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Squats and definitely Good Mornings - soooooooooooo nice.
  • Anens630
    Anens630 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I will start squatting instead!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    after seeing your doctor of course, right?

right?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    going bellow parrallel places more emphasis on the glutes. focusing on that will help speed up results more so then which method you choose IMO