Need Running Cramp Help

Options
Since April, I've been doing walks anywhere between 5k - 10 miles. I do calf exercises at the gym and my legs are pretty solid. Every single time I try to run, within the first 1/4 mile my muscles tighten up solid from my knee to my ankle and it feels like my muscles are trying to crush my shin bones. I'll stretch out, I'll stretch while on the road doesn't matter. If I try pushing through the pain, the muscles will then tighten up solid into my thigh and along the bottom of my foot to a point I have no choice but to walk again. What is going on and how do I fix this? I am trying to be able to run a full mile for the first time in my life but my body doesn't want me to get there apparently.

Replies

• AmandaLou4319
    AmandaLou4319 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced this while running, but have had calf cramps and charlie horses after running.

I see this as a sign I need to step up my nutrition and water intake. Perhaps some more potassium (bananas and potatoes) and water could help. Also, taking an pain reliever before a run can also help with cramps. The pain reliever actually thins the blood and helps circulate oxygen to the muscles. This prevents cramping.

I hope this helps! Good luck!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I have not experienced this while running, but have had calf cramps and charlie horses after running.

I see this as a sign I need to step up my nutrition and water intake. Perhaps some more potassium (bananas and potatoes) and water could help. Also, taking an pain reliever before a run can also help with cramps. The pain reliever actually thins the blood and helps circulate oxygen to the muscles. This prevents cramping.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

Adding a magnesium supplement in addition to increased potassium intake has helped me with my calf cramps.
    Rolling out my calves has also helped
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water and make sure your calories are not too low. I follow the Runner's World recommended diet of 50%carbs, 25%protein, 25%fat

29509743.png
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    How exactly do these cramps hurt? Is it the back, side, or front of the calf?

I ask because if it's back or side, it's probably water/electrolytes. Compression sleeves on your calves may also help. But if it's the front, then it might be shin splints, which means you're likely wearing the wrong running shoes. I doubt it's mileage with how long you say you are running.
  • griffonholly
    griffonholly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It feels like my muscles (mainly in my right leg) are turning to concrete from the outside on the right and left of the leg and it feels like they are hardening up to meet around my shin bone and then quickly solidify around to the back of my calf. If I let it go, I can feel the tightening move its way down into my foot and up past my knee into my thigh.
  • griffonholly
    griffonholly Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    For brunch before I went out, I had 1 egg, 2 pieces of very thin bacon, 1 banana, 8 oz of milk and part of an english muffin for some carbs. I think I need 8oz of water with it before I go.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So your soleus is cramping up. I've had the same thing, though not nearly as bad. What helped was a combination of bent knee calf stretches (instead of straight) and while lifting, seated calf raises.