TMI sorry! vomiting and running?

Options
Hi Guys! ok this is a gross one, I am sorry! does anyone has ever gotten sick while on a run? Me! yesterday, warmed up, started jogging, one block, two blocks, started to feel dizzy, stopped and ...well you know...

It was so hard to try to stop myself from doing it! I felt awful! (and embarrassed, thank God it was late and no one saw me) I hope!

WTHeck? ;(

Replies

• lniber22
    lniber22 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Only time this ever happened, i was preggo! Are you new to running? Maybe you are pushing yourself to hard to fast?
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
    Options
    Nope. Can't say that it has happened to me. Had you eaten just prior to running?
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Are you new to exercise.? Take it slow OP. Keep that fire though to push yourself. I remember the pacer in Grade school and I always felt like throwing up. I never did because I always quit before I did.
  • SWEETMAY84
    SWEETMAY84 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    well, yes and No I have being running for about 3 months... annnnd the baby fabric is closed so...no babies.. lol
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I have come close a few times, usually happens when I'm pushing myself too hard. If I slow my pace a little, the feeling goes away and I'm fine.
  • SWEETMAY84
    Options
    I didn't ate because it was around 5 pm, so it was before supper... It never happened to me before, I was wondering if maybe I wasn't breathing enough... or if it was normal! grooooos =(
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Probably ate something that didn't agree with you and the running kicked it in. As you said, at least it was late and no one saw you- life happens.
  • AllieBear88
    AllieBear88 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I'm emetophobic, so I try to avoid nausea and vomiting in every way possible. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I'm successful. I've not thrown up from exercising, but I have gagged a few times. Some days, it's during things that I've done before a million times, but my body's all "Hey, Allie, slow down for a second, I'm tired". If it happens again, maybe step back a little. Slow down your pace some for a few days, then slowly move back up to where you were. Your body may be trying to tell you something.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't know.

Poop or vomit or what?
  • SWEETMAY84
    Options
    Thank you guys!! I feel better knowing I am not the only one lol I had never hd this happening to me before, and I have done Body Pump, CXW, running...
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    I have a couple times...mostly from running too soon after eating or pushing it too hard.
  • SWEETMAY84
    Options
    kshadows wrote: »
    I have a couple times...mostly from running too soon after eating or pushing it too hard.

I didn't felt like I was pushing to hard, but again, I might have! the air was cold, so its harder to feel the sweat... I will slow down for a few days!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Only once. I ate some pizza before a run and it was hot out.

Learned my lesson that day. :laugh:
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I've never actually thrown up, but on longer runs where I've pushed myself too hard, I've come close. It's not exactly a great sign and definitely indicates that maybe you should take it a little slower.

I'd be more concerned though that you got dizzy and then threw up; as someone who has a disorder that causes me to pass out, I know that throwing up is actually one of the body reactions to keep you from doing that. As much as you don't want to eat too close to a workout, you want to make sure your blood sugar levels are okay going into one, so if you hadn't eaten since 11-12 maybe you were just low on the nutrients/calories/sugar your body needs.
  • SWEETMAY84
    Options
    I've never actually thrown up, but on longer runs where I've pushed myself too hard, I've come close. It's not exactly a great sign and definitely indicates that maybe you should take it a little slower.

I'd be more concerned though that you got dizzy and then threw up; as someone who has a disorder that causes me to pass out, I know that throwing up is actually one of the body reactions to keep you from doing that. As much as you don't want to eat too close to a workout, you want to make sure your blood sugar levels are okay going into one, so if you hadn't eaten since 11-12 maybe you were just low on the nutrients/calories/sugar your body needs.

great advice! thanks...now that you say it, it might have being my blood sugar being low, because it did felt similar to that
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Times I've come close to barfing while running:
    1.) When I first started running. I had to stop and walk every 0.5 miles or so...and often felt like puking.
    2.) When I'd eaten a heavy meal (eggs and pancakes) right before running...big mistake
    3.) When I was constipated...I didn't puke but felt darn close.

Never ended up puking but if you're pushing it too hard too fast, just ate, are dehydrated or have a lot of fluid in your stomach...or it's been a while since you pooped...(talk about TMI-LoL, I think most runners don't think there is such a thing)...those could cause nausea/vomiting.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Lol. A long time ago in my life a run was only good if you puked.
    It can be normal if you push it too hard, ate before, or are dehydrated. Or hungover, I don't really recommend running when hungover.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Throwing up is far less interesting than pooping. It would've been better to read bout pooping,

I wonder if any runner ever had to run into the woods to let the poop go. I bet it's happened.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Myrmilt wrote: »
    Lol. A long time ago in my life a run was only good if you puked.
    It can be normal if you push it too hard, ate before, or are dehydrated. Or hungover, I don't really recommend running when hungover.

AMEN...horrible HORRIBLE idea...hung over and dehydrated usually go hand in hand.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've never vomited from exercise. But I always like the first week or two of biggest loser when they make those people exercise til they puke!