Personal Trainer - what to ask?

Options
Hi everyone,

I have an initial session scheduled with an in-home personal trainer this weekend and I could use some advice. I've never used a trainer or really had any sort of fitness plan, so this is very new to me. FYI, I'm 35, 5'7 and 155 pounds. My goal is to lose about 20 pounds and also gain strength and flexibility.

What kinds of questions should I ask?
Any particular red flags or good signs to look for?

Thanks, y'all!

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Here are a couple perspectives:

stumptuous.com/how-to-choose-a-personal-trainer

body-improvements.com/articles/industry-articles/how-to-select-a-personal-trainer/

Some red flags (of many) - doing too much on the first workout .. too much emphasis on targeting of fatty areas (doesn't work) .. too many isolation exercises (google the term) .. giving a meal plan with no nutrition credentials .. dividing workouts up into more than 2 parts ("chest day", "back day", "leg day", etc).

Let us know how it goes!
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'd say take it easy the first time, especially if training at home without gym equipment (e.g using chairs instead of step ups) I injured my back that way and was bedridden for 4 weeks but it was also because I had a history of back injury

Learn to differentiate a muscle burn from your body giving you warning signs of potential injury. The sensation is different between the two, tired on fire and exhausted is fine, so painful you can pass out not ok
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    ask for references. and if your goal is to lose weight, you should speak to a nutritionist or dietitian.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Your goals are vague - that could be problematic. If you just want to lose the weight, that is more of a nutrition and low-impact steady state cardio path. But if you want to look good and strong, then you won't get that unless you are actually strong. If there is something you want to be able to do - like a 10K or a mud run or triathlon or a kickboxing class, or zumba - you need to go into your session understanding what you want and what your goals are. We don;t meet with trainers so they can give us goals. We go to trainers with our goals, goals we respect and understand and supremely desire - and they just help us see the path. Dont put your future self in your trainers hands unless you understand who she is.
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Ask him what he thinks is the best curl to train. Bicep femoris. If he was a dumbbell curl, leave. He does know his muscle groups. Bicep femoris is your hamstring.
  • annangelich
    annangelich Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Ask him what he thinks is the best curl to train. Bicep femoris. If he was a dumbbell curl, leave. He does know his muscle groups. Bicep femoris is your hamstring.

Except you can do a dumbbell curl with your hammies... so maybe ask the trainer to demonstrate to see if he gets it right.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Have some actual real, goals.

Goals that you can gather data for and track progress against. These ambiguous ones you have are wasteful to your pocket book, the trainer's time, and have zero sophistication.
  • lindzalexis
    lindzalexis Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Have some actual real, goals.

Goals that you can gather data for and track progress against. These ambiguous ones you have are wasteful to your pocket book, the trainer's time, and have zero sophistication.

My goals need to be sophisticated? My goal is to lose 20 pounds and become more fit in the process. What exactly do you suggest for less ambiguous goals?
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    If you dont have goals its ok to consult a trainer and decide on goals, and general fitness training is a no-brainer and a good starting point. After a while you'll figure out what you really love and can have more specific goals, and then you can seek a specialized trainer if you want.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    What is fit?
    Why have a weight goal attached to something which has little bearing on weight?
    What exactly is 20 pounds? 20 pounds of lbm? 20 pounds of fat mass? 20 pounds mixed? What is the exact mix of fat and lbm if the goal is mixed composition?

How will you define fit?

What exactly do I suggest for less ambiguity? Thinking about what you want out of your investment.
    I mean, you don't have to be exactly, but any sort of sophistication applied to your goals would be helpful.

For fit.
    "I'd like to be able to increase my <action type> by X% over current performance baseline within Y period."

For me:
    "I'd like to rehab my knee, and increase my squat from 155# to bodyweight+ safely within 3 months while rebuilding knee integrity."
    (That goal told my strength coach exactly what we had to do with my knee, and we hit that mark within 6 weeks.)

Know what you want.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I had my first trainer session tuesday, I told her I want to lose weight to be a UK size 12 from a current 22 rather than a number on the scales, do weights and calisthenics balanced with running and swimming so I can end up strong rather than skinny and have a personal goal to run 5 miles by next september. She is working with me on all of the above, said she will help me drop my body fat by 2% a month and said she would give nutrition advice if i ask for it though atm I am only seeing her for workout advice