too many almonds?

thought they were good snack, but wow way to stack up calories. so gonna cut down.
NO more eating after supper...unless i can swallow celery or carrots..ugh.
I also read in several places not to eat prepared foods. 1 ingredient food for the most part. so i guess the shake and bake wasnt a good idea either.

food thoughts???

Replies

• marcenepea
    marcenepea Posts: 364 Member
    I love almonds, but I have to get about 10 and walk away from the rest. If I don't I can sit and eat way to many. Atleast we are learning.
  • When we buy almonds the first thing we do when we get home is to take our 1/8 cup measure and portion out the whole container into those little snack size zip bags. The eighth cup measure is a half serving so we know exactly what we are eating. one bag is a half serving two bags is a whole serving. Very easy when we are putting together our lunches or grabbing a quick snack on the go. This keeps me from eating too much at one setting. We do the same for all of our higher calorie snacks, nuts or chips etc. Good luck to you!
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    good advise here! ^^

They are nutrient dense, so worth the cals imo.
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    mrs groove, how many calories in 1/8 cup???
  • chattipatty2
    chattipatty2 Posts: 376 Member
    sorry, read on...i understand. 1/2 serving= 1/8 cup
    thats not alot...
  • Skelly5555
    Skelly5555 Posts: 9 Member
    I eat between 30-50 almonds a day usually as a mid-morning or afternoon snack.
    Still managing to lose weight even with the added calories.

Here is a short article on the benefits -

http://www.squidoo.com/Calories-in-Almonds

I also find they keep me feeling full between breakfast and lunch or lunch and dinner.
    I hide mine in the cupboard. When I take them out I just take the serving required then hide them away again!
  • kiki41
    kiki41 Posts: 80 Member
    I eat 10-12 almonds at a time, about 3 times a day. Sometimes just twice depending on how many calories and what type of foods I have eaten all day or plan to eat that evening. It helps to just count them out and eat something small with them or drink a hot cup of green tea. Yum! But you're right, it can really add up if you are not careful.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    If you have the caloric balance, no such thing. I eat multiple servings of almonds a day, still losing.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    thought they were good snack, but wow way to stack up calories. so gonna cut down.
    NO more eating after supper...unless i can swallow celery or carrots..ugh.
    I also read in several places not to eat prepared foods. 1 ingredient food for the most part. so i guess the shake and bake wasnt a good idea either.

food thoughts???
    Nuts are touted as being the savior for people getting healthy. However, almonds have the same nutritional value as a candy bar.
  • I have almonds almost every day, my mid morn snack with green tea and a peice of fruit. The serving size on the can ( blue dimond brand) is about 28 almonds 170 cals. I love the wasabi flavor almonds.... yum
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    What about the vitamin E, selenium, magnesium manganese,and host of other nutrients in nuts.....what candy bar offers that?
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    I enjoy eating almonds, about 29 of the kernels are an ounce which is about 161 calories. I can fit them into my diet so I try to have it often but I ran out again. They're really tasty, filling and healthy for you.
  • Love 'em!! I eat a pack or two of the 90 cal Almonds....I throw them in my bag and it helps me pass by the fast food places and vending machines filled with junk food everytime! :)
  • MissBettyClaire
    MissBettyClaire Posts: 3 Member
    edited October 2014
    Keep calm and eat almonds.
    I love almonds too! Buy them at a whole foods type grocery - where they are so much fresher! Good fat, vita E, fiber and protein . It's almost a perfect food . Now if only I could reach perfection.... Sigh... Just kidding! Have a shiny day Fitness Pal friends ;)