Uncle Ben's microwave rice- serving size confusion

Options
Hi everyone! Ok so the serving size says 1 cup, and there are "about 2" servings in a pouch. Well if you measure it, the entire pouch is one cup!! So i'm reallly confused as to how many calories, etc, I am actually intaking. Ugh!! Can anyone please advise :)

Replies

• neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I always weigh it (in grams) although I am in the UK and we dont use 'cups' as a measurement, so see if you can find one that has a more accurate measurement.

Katy
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    cooked or dry?. same thing with pasta. 2oz dry pasta cooks up to about 5oz.
  • SenorToenails
    SenorToenails Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    They probably mean 'fluffed' rice...I eat those every so often also, so I just divide the packet in half for a serving.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    cooked or dry?. same thing with pasta. 2oz dry pasta cooks up to about 5oz.

Agreed--it's the dry measurement which means if you eat the whole pouch you should count it as 2 servings.
  • JessJoJell
    Options
    yeah I think if you read the package it says that serving size is dry rice.
  • myukniewicz
    myukniewicz Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i dont think that it's measuring "dry" rice. those microwavable pouches aren't made to be opened prior to cooking...
    i think that companies are putting smaller and smaller amounts in their packages and pretending its the same amount.

i had the same problem today actually. my tofu noodles i had say that the package has 2 servings of 4oz... well weighed the whole bag (i have a digital scale) and guess what.... it was only 6.5 oz.
    the same thing happens with the steamable vegetable packages. it says "4 servings" but its really only 3
  • lizpetley
    lizpetley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hmm I measured it after it was cooked... its the pouch that has the rice already mushy... it's not the dry crunchy rice.
  • lizpetley
    lizpetley Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    that's exactly what I was thinking... company tricking... but then I still don't know what the nutrition facts are... lol. I can't figure out am I eating 200 calories with the whole pouch, because they failed to include a 2nd serving? or is a serving actually half a cup instead of a cup... which would suck!
  • SenorToenails
    SenorToenails Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    i dont think that it's measuring "dry" rice. those microwavable pouches aren't made to be opened prior to cooking...
    i think that companies are putting smaller and smaller amounts in their packages and pretending its the same amount.

i had the same problem today actually. my tofu noodles i had say that the package has 2 servings of 4oz... well weighed the whole bag (i have a digital scale) and guess what.... it was only 6.5 oz.
    the same thing happens with the steamable vegetable packages. it says "4 servings" but its really only 3

This might help a bit with the tofu (and maybe the rice...)

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/GuidanceDocuments/FoodLabelingNutrition/FoodLabelingGuide/ucm064904.htm#container
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I've noticed the same thing! I get about 1 1/2 cups with a package of Uncle Ben's rice. And for all those who don't know, the rice is already cooked and fluffed and whatnot. You just heat it up. Anyways... I think a cup is a cup. It says about 2 cups right? So that means it could be less or more... In this instance, I think it's less. I've had Uncle Ben's rice a few times and measured out a cup. I don't think it affected my weight loss any, so the serving size must be close to right. :)