MFP without exercise?

Options

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    A nutritionalist told me that it's not recommended to eat back the calories unless you burn more than 500 calories in a day.

Did you tell them you were in a calorie deficit plan (MFP) based on a calorie loss per day already? And if you burn more you need to eat bac at least to 1200 calories net per day?

I don't know anything - Just things I've read about this site and eating back your calories. If your nutritionalist is not familiar with MFP they could be giving you advice based on an incorrect assumption of your current 'diet' plan.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • smithke79
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I don't sit around all day. I was just thinking that if I exercise & eat my calories back after exercising then what's the point? As I'm just eating the calories burnt anyway?!

MFP calculates the calories you get daily based on the parameters you set up when you first sign in. If entered to lose 2# a week the calories you get per day are what you need to lose 2# a week. When you exercise or work more than the activity level you set, you get calories back because to be on "your plan" you need to meet that calorie goal. Should you eat calories back, up to you. I usally eat atleast 50 to 75% back. You need to fuel your body when you use it. You can get a head of the game this way but be sure you are eating enough to keep your metabolism moving and not go into starvation.
  • dfiesler
    dfiesler Posts: 9
    Options
    I never eat the extra calories that I earn through exercise because I think it negates working out, but that's just me. :happy:

I do the same, I never eat the extra calories earned and thus far it is working for me down 22 pounds in three weeks. :- )
  • brendansmom1
    brendansmom1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

Well I had 20lbs to lose after having a baby a few months ago. I've now lost about 7lbs so far so I have about 13lbs to lose. I'm on about 1320 cals a day and normally exercise (Jillians 30 day Shred DVD) , when I do I always eat back my calories.

Well I'm actually thinking is there really any point in me exercising? I really don't want to get toned as I don't really like that toned look & I don't want muscles. Also as I don't have much to lose it's not like a drastic weight lose or anything. So I'm thinking about not exercising. What do you guys think? Is anyone else not exercising & just sticking to their recommended calories?

Thanks x

Exercise is not just for weight loss...it is for a healthy heart! You say you walk 45 min a day....keep that going. You don't have to do 30DS or any other strength training...just get out there and move.

As far as the exercise calorie phenomenon. Really....you can spend days on end searching this forum for the topic and you will get 10 million different answers. The best I can say is do what is right for you. Talk to your doc or a nutritionist if you are confused about what is best for your body. For me, I eat at least half of them back....especially on the days I burn 700+ calories....It is FUEL for your body, not calories.

JMHO
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Exercising is part of being healthy and living longer, it's not just for losing weight!!

Cardio strengthens your heart and lungs and if you have cholesterol issues, it can help raise your good cholesterol levels. Weight bearing exercises (yes this includes strength training but also jumping, walking and running) are great for improving bone density which, especially for women, is really important.

So maybe forget about Jillian and just go for a walk or run or find a different video that doesn't have strength exercises if you don't want to tone. Just don't stop!
  • iamanne
    iamanne Posts: 67
    Options
    Excercise is good for so much more than weightloss. It's a good stress reliever, good for your heart and over all well being. if you don't to firm anything up just do some cardio. Your heart will thank you for it. :wink:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I don't sit around all day. I was just thinking that if I exercise & eat my calories back after exercising then what's the point? As I'm just eating the calories burnt anyway?!

Be careful with eating them ALL back, are u using a HRM? If not, there is a good chance you are eating too many since 30 DS burns ONLY 90-170 cals on average for a healthy weight person. For me it’s 120 so I wouldn’t be eating those back, they are just a buffer in case I go over 30-40 cals or so on veggies at dinner.

Weight loss is 80% nutrition so yes you can lose w/o exercise but exercise is what keeps your heart healthy and gives you energy.
  • perrytyra
    perrytyra Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Centuries ago ladies kept their figure without structured exercise. We only need it now, because lots of things are easy for us to do. I think if you have an active lifestyle, you don't necessarily need to get in weight lifting or aerobics.

I don't have a lot of hard work to do, so I make it a point to make sure I get some structured exercise at least 3 days a week, I try for 5.
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    BrownSkinBeauty1990 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm over eating as sometimes I leave about 50 cals or so. I am also losing at least a pound every week so it must be working x
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    Options

Be careful with eating them ALL back, are u using a HRM? If not, there is a good chance you are eating too many since 30 DS burns ONLY 90-170 cals on average for a healthy weight person. For me it’s 120 so I wouldn’t be eating those back, they are just a buffer in case I go over 30-40 cals or so on veggies at dinner.

Weight loss is 80% nutrition so yes you can lose w/o exercise but exercise is what keeps your heart healthy and gives you energy.

I don't think I'm over eating as sometimes I leave about 50 cals or so. I am also losing at least a pound every week so it must be working x
  • WVBayouGal
    Options
    I am not young, and have limited mobility due to physical problems, and have 100 pounds to lose. I am eating the set calories each day and not exercising at the moment, because of my limited mobility. I have lost a couple of pounds in a few days by calorie counting, and know that will continue as long as I eat within my calorie limit. I would say, if you are a busy mom, need the sleep, and are losing weight...then you can relax for now, without the exercise. But, when the time comes that you do have the free time to exercise, then put it back into your routine. My plan is to start a routine exercise program when I feel 'lighter' and more mobile. Exercise is good for your heart and soul....and will keep you young. Listen to your body, it will tell you what to do....whether it is continue to exercise and eat back the calories or to stop exercising for now and be a busy mom who is not sleep deprived. :smile:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Centuries ago ladies kept their figure without structured exercise. We only need it now, because lots of things are easy for us to do.

This is honestly a fairly naive point of view. Centuries ago, people died in their early thirties, and were usually thin because they were subsistence-level farmers who had to ration out their food to avoid starvation, not because they worked off their massive surplus of calories. Overall, they had far less opportunity to be healthy than the ones we so willingly squander on average. You don't hear about many cases of scurvy these days, or rickets, or shingles. Instead of sickness caused by food deficit, we have ailments provided by food surplus: obesity, high cholesterol, blood pressure issues, liver and kidney disease...

All in all, if you are here because you want to simply lose weight, you are missing the big picture. If you want to be HEALTHY, you need to EXERCISE. Period. Having a "fairly active" lifestyle is not going to cut it. You need to be elevating your heart rate for sustained periods of time several times of week. No one is going to bust your chops for slacking off while you have a newborn to chase around, but in the long term it is a poor fitness attitude to have. Look into something you can do in tiny tiny increments rather than doing nothing.

I recommend any of the 10 Minute Solution DVD's or looking into Tabata Protocol (4 minutes of high-intensity cardio every other day).
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    yes, there's some point in exercising. It's better health for you, which means better health for the baby, since you are better able to tend to his/her needs. Also, it's an energy booster, as long as you don't push too hard.

Do you HAVE to exercise to lose weight? No. You don't. Just make sure you are eating the right amount of calories. Also, keep in mind that if you are nursing, you will burn calories that you will need to eat back, to make sure you are giving your baby enough nutrients.
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Just ask yourself one question:

What is the point of losing weight if you're not going to be healthy?
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    Options
    All in all, if you are here because you want to simply lose weight, you are missing the big picture. If you want to be HEALTHY, you need to EXERCISE. Period. Having a "fairly active" lifestyle is not going to cut it. You need to be elevating your heart rate for sustained periods of time several times of week. No one is going to bust your chops for slacking off while you have a newborn to chase around, but in the long term it is a poor fitness attitude to have. Look into something you can do in tiny tiny increments rather than doing nothing.

I recommend any of the 10 Minute Solution DVD's or looking into Tabata Protocol (4 minutes of high-intensity cardio every other day).
    Just ask yourself one question:

What is the point of losing weight if you're not going to be healthy?

I've always been healthy. I've never been over weight until I had my son a few months ago & that's to be expected and even now I'm only like 0.5 over my healthy BMI. I eat well & I'm active on most days. The only reason why I started doing a fitness DVD was because I thought that it would help me lose weight fast, but when I think about it, it won't.

I do exercise, like I said before I walk for at least 45 mins on most days & I'm constantly on my feet looking after my baby. That is exercising isn't it?! Walking is supposed to be the best exercise for you.
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with trying to force her to exercise. A lot of you are talking about "whats the point if your not going to be healthy" and I'm just wondering one thing. What gives you the right to accuse someone of not being "healthy" if they don't follow an exercise plan like you do? For one thing there are lots of people out here that are "healthy" and don't follow any exercise plan or eat biodegradable foods. Why? because they are active people and therefore don't need to exercise regularly. For instance my wife has an uncle that works at a brick plant and stacks bricks all day. He looks pretty well fit to me and does he exercise? Nope, not at all cause hes active enough that he stays trim and fit with out any extra work. Ever try really house cleaning? that takes several hours a day of constant moving, as long as your not over eating that should be enough to keep anyone fairly well balanced. I'm not saying don't exercise, I'm saying quit trying to force her to exercise just because YOU think YOU have to exercise everyday to feel good. SHE is NOT YOU and vise versa. The simple answer is, if you want to loose weight simply staying under your calorie count should be good enough and NO you don't HAVE to exercise to loose weight!
  • stefanwolf
    stefanwolf Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I think not working out is a mistake. It's really important to maintain some muscle mass to help support your joints as well as keep your metabolism up. If you are tired after the Jillian one, maybe that one just happens to not be the right workout for you. After I dislocated my knee, the doctor explained to me that that was typical in women because of the angle from our hips to knee, and that women usually don't have enough leg strength. It is just my opinion of course, but if you are not big on that toned look, why not try a good Yoga workout? Bob Harper has a great one.
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Exercising doesn't have to be a chore. It can be fun! Do you have a game system . . . Wii, XBOX, or Playstation? If so, get an active game. I absolutely love doing "Just Dance 2". I burn a great amount of calories while having fun at the same time.

Do you like any sports? Shooting baskets, swimming, kicking around a soccer ball with friends, etc. gets in some cardio without feeling like dreaded exercise.

Also, cleaning the house and going up/down stairs, etc. counts. So park farther away when you go to the grocery store, put some music on and dance around the house for fun, take the stairs instead of the escalator/elevator when it is an option, carry your baby in their car seat and take a few laps around the room, push your baby around the neighborhood in their stroller, etc.

My point is . . . try to think of some creative ways to keep active without the structured "exercise" DVDs.

When your child gets older, you can incorporate games that they can play with you to get exercise as well (Duck-duck-goose, red rover, kick ball, racing, chasing, red light-green light, freeze tag, etc.). Good luck and have fun!:happy:
  • BrownSkinBeauty1990
    Options
    I'm not sure I agree with trying to force her to exercise. A lot of you are talking about "whats the point if your not going to be healthy" and I'm just wondering one thing. What gives you the right to accuse someone of not being "healthy" if they don't follow an exercise plan like you do? For one thing there are lots of people out here that are "healthy" and don't follow any exercise plan or eat biodegradable foods. Why? because they are active people and therefore don't need to exercise regularly. For instance my wife has an uncle that works at a brick plant and stacks bricks all day. He looks pretty well fit to me and does he exercise? Nope, not at all cause hes active enough that he stays trim and fit with out any extra work. Ever try really house cleaning? that takes several hours a day of constant moving, as long as your not over eating that should be enough to keep anyone fairly well balanced. I'm not saying don't exercise, I'm saying quit trying to force her to exercise just because YOU think YOU have to exercise everyday to feel good. SHE is NOT YOU and vise versa. The simple answer is, if you want to loose weight simply staying under your calorie count should be good enough and NO you don't HAVE to exercise to loose weight!

Thank you, this was the point I was trying to make as I'm active anyway & walk for at least 45 mins on most days. & yeah not to mention the cleaning and walking around with a baby all the time. I also think you can be healthy without exercise as I've always been healthy apart from now because I'm a bit over my BMI from having my baby a few months ago x
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You've not long had a baby, it's really hard and tiring. Just getting out pushing your pram and being active is enough if you're up in the night with your baby. I didn't get back into proper exercise classes in the long run until my LO was about 1 year old. Yes in the long run it's better to exercise and be fitter, of course, but you need time to rest and enjoy your baby. That weight took 9 months to go on, it won't fall off all at once. I think there's a ridiculous pressure on new mums to snap back into shape in a matter of weeks and it takes time.