Training before a 12hr shift

Options
debrag12
debrag12 Posts: 1,071 Member
So I am about to start strength training, which is generally 3 times a week. I'm also about to start working at the local hospital again doing long day shifts.

Should I use my work days as rest days or stick to a Monday, Wednesday, Friday workout routine as I understanding you shouldn't have too many rest days in between workouts etc

Replies

• msurads06
    msurads06 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am fairly new to strenght training but i also work in a hospital with long shifts. I generally work in 2-3 day blocks so i plan my workouts arround this, I will workout on work days but usually try to do as few strengh days during working days as possible. I workout every other day most weeks but every other week i pull a 48hr weekend and i wont work out at all.
    One big peice of advice i learned the hard way, make sure when you start/increase your workout you have atleast one day off work to recover somewhat. When i first started I worked out monday before work and was ok monday, tuesday however i could barely walk and of course the ER was nuts that night and i spent the whole night running. I wanted to cry. So now when the time comes to up weight/reps I will usually do it on the last day of a block of work days so i have atleast 2 days to recover if nessecary (most of the time one is fine).
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Because of a busy life two of my workout days are before my 13 hours overnight shifts at the hospital. I workout for an hour at 3:30pm, take a shower, have my shake and go to work at 5:00pm until 6:30am. I've never had a problem, I have more energy at that time of the day and I feel good after the workout. I actually rather do it on those days then the Tuesday morning workout I do. I hate mornings.
  • alereck
    Options
    If you can pick the days of the week you can go to the gym try different days and see how you feel. It's the only way you will know, give it a few weeks to get your body to adjust then switch.
  • debrag12
    Options
    Is it not a good idea to have 2 days off from training etc?.

I think I shall try Monday, Wednesday, Friday or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. I will just have to see what my rota will be on a month to month basis and adjust from there

• alereck
    Options
    You should have a good amount of time to rest between strenght workouts. Your muscles will grow while at rest, so at least one day rest between workouts. I only workout 2-3 days a week but when I do I make it count. No way I could go back next day and do it with the same intensity. I think you should start with 3 days or no more than 4 for sure with cardio or some other type of exercise during the other days.
  • debrag12
    Options
    Yes aiming for 3 days but need to fit it around work