Depression from job/job search

Options
Pucks_and_Balls
Pucks_and_Balls Posts: 95 Member
Has anyone else ever felt depressed as the result of being in a job that's not the best fit for them and/or not having success on the job search?

I am no longer happy in my job. I went into journalism/media and work every holiday, every weekend and have had my normal schedule constantly changed. I used to not mind my job because my long-term goal was to work with a sports team in a PR department, and I knew non-traditional hours were a part of the deal. Whatever works, right? Over the last few months, though, I have burned out and lost interest in my line of work. I no longer want a journalism job, don't want anything to do with sports media and would be very happy leaving it all behind for a job with normal hours and less cutthroat competition. I have a second job in social media with a startup and have started to embrace that kind of work, the marketing side of things. I've been applying for social media jobs and other non-journalism jobs, like I applied for a staff writer job at a college, and haven't gotten any calls back. Several of my friends and family have hit the job search in the meantime, and the majority of them have landed jobs. A lot of people have been promoted at my current company, one of who was a former peer who is now my supervisor. I applied for another job there and got turned down.

I don't feel like I can tell my managers I'm depressed. I didn't have a good review in the last cycle (we have performance reviews every 3-4 weeks), and I fear if I do, they will want to use it against me. They say they are there for me, but I worry they're just blowing smoke. Right now, I'm not planning on doing it and am just going to go to work like everything's fine.

I'm thinking about getting therapy because I feel so desperate and like I'll never get a job offer. I know it's important to talk things out with a professional, and I cry a lot at this point. I compare myself to the people who are getting promoted and my friends landing jobs and wish I could be like them. People just tell me "work hard," (I guess two jobs isn't enough) "be patient," "You'll find something," but I don't feel very encouraged when these words are all coming from people who have success.

I tie myself up a lot in my job/professional identity. I value having a good job and being respected and successful at whatever company I'm with. I feel good when I get recognized in front of my peers or my boss tells me I did good on a review. So to be doing poorly and to not be really getting even any job interviews is discouraging.

TL;DR: I'm really letting work define me, and this lack of success is really bringing me down. What can I do to feel better?

Replies

• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Keep applying! Sometimes it takes some time to find the right job. Believe me I know how much it sucks looking for work, but it's a necessary evil.

For now, try your best to look at the positive side of things in your life and focus on the things that you do like about your job. Work at getting a good review this time. If you are hoping to use co-workers/managers as references you will need to give them something positive to say about you. It really shows when you don't like your job and this can hurt you in the long run.
  • Misshodge64
    Misshodge64 Posts: 8,588 Member
    Options
    Let not your heart be troubled, I would take it very slowly, honestly I think it is more on your mind than your job. There maybe other areas in your life that also maybe affects you also. I would go in there confidently. Take your time and focus. Don't over think, relax a lil bit. You are troubling yourself. U Are GOING to be Okay.
  • Misshodge64
    Options
    I understand how you feel
  • Misshodge64
    edited October 2014
    Options
    You don't need therapy, U Going to make, it may uncomfortable but it can be done
  • ironsun
    ironsun Posts: 30
    Options
    What were the issues that caused you to get a bad performance review? Maybe you can work on improving those while looking for a new job. The focus on improvement may help take your mind off the negative aspects of the job. And then you can use the story of how you turned it around in your interviews.

Don't tell your managers. If they are anything like the majority, they don't want to know about your feelings and personal life. They just care about your performance.

Does your company offer any sort of counseling as an employee benefit? My company has a 1-800 number than we can call for many types of counseling assistance.
  • Pucks_and_Balls
    Options
    I'm not sure if counseling is offered as a benefit, but I can definitely look into that.

I got a negative performance review b/c I wasn't good at one aspect of my job. We are graded on four areas, and I scored well on three of them, but not the fourth. The fourth was leaving some typos behind in my work, though nothing reputation damaging or anything. But even though the rest of my review was good, I'm not allowed to take on an extra project until I improve on the copy editing.

I go to work anymore and just feel like I can't focus or don't want to listen to what my manager has to say. I am off today but I am already dreading going back tomorrow and Sunday.
  • _SantaClause
    _SantaClause Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I spent about 7 years in a job like this. I didn't give up, and eventually a new job came around, even though I had to move. The best feeling was the day I walked out of that job..Don't give up..
  • hellywelly14
    hellywelly14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have been in my new teaching assistant job two months, and I really dislike my co workers, and head who to be frank are bitchy, cold, and down right rude!

I have always wanted to work in a school, and the children are great. However I feel numb with depression most days. Just the thought of going in causes anxiety, a feeling of dread.

I have have had a business page in wedding favours for a while, and website to go live in a few weeks. I feel that the only way to feel fulfilled, and to remove the feeling of anxiety, is to go the self employment route.

I am going back to doing cleaning, so there's some money coming in as I know it will take a while to grow.

Maybe you could use your marketing skills to set something up for yourself. Could this be an option?

I wish you all the best. Performance management sucks!
  • Pucks_and_Balls
    Options
    I have thought about other careers. Someone suggested to me that I look into a registered dietitian (RD) path. It sounds like a great career, but the requirements of schooling+unpaid internship (and you have to pay tuition for it, no less) don't make it feasible.

I'd settle for even doing something else within my field that isn't journalism (copywriting, social media, PR...communications is pretty broad in that respect).