Hunger vs Workout

Options
Why am I more hungry on the days I dont workout? I usually only take one day a week off for rest but I hate how hungry I get. I feel like I might eat the entire fridge. I have 30lbs to go to reach my goal and MFP has me at 1200 cal which I am pretty good at staying at.

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Exercise suppresses hunger for some people, which is why hunger tends to be an untrustworthy indicator of whether or not you're getting enough to eat.

1200 calories is pretty low, so many people find themselves hungry at that level. You could try saving some of your exercise calories to eat on your rest day.
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Exercise definately surpresses my hunger. Maybe that's why you're hungrier on the days you don't work out. I like the idea of eating your exercise calories on the rest day.
  • ilovesnugglies
    ilovesnugglies Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am just the opposite. Working out makes me ravenous!
  • sunnbunniez
    sunnbunniez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Can you clarify about eating my exercise calories? I dont eat any more or less on any day.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Can you clarify about eating my exercise calories? I dont eat any more or less on any day.

Sure. MFP doesn't take any exercise into account when it sets your calorie goal. It uses your stats and activity level, but ignores the amount of exercise you tell it that you plan to do. It sets your goal a little lower than many other sites would expecting you to log your exercise here so that it can add more calories to your goal once you've earned them. (Basically, the site doesn't trust us to actually do our exercise until it's logged!)

That's why your calorie goal here goes up after you've logged your exercise. Now, the site is designed for you to eat those back the same day, but many of us try to stay in our calorie goal for the week and worry less about hitting our goals exactly every day. So, you could log your exercise today, get the extra calories, but then eat them on your rest day instead if that works better for you.
  • sunnbunniez
    sunnbunniez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    ok, but my dietician says for weight loss you should never eat the calories back.
  • gudkarma147
    Options
    one question you might ask yourself is 'what am i doing on non-workout days in lieu of working out' ? it might be you're also less occupied in some way. the idle mind is a real monkey.