Emotional Eating miss you right now

Options
gbklvr
gbklvr Posts: 84 Member
edited October 2014 in Getting Started
I take care of my father in law who had surgery recently and has diabetes. My mom has lupus and the past two weeks have been making sure everyone gets to their six appointments in five days and meds. Monday we are going for a diagnostic mammogram because of lumps in her underarm. I am stressed, exhausted and all I want to do is but the biggest bag of peanut m&m, order a number 2 from BK and just sit in my room to reorganize and replenish myself. Stayed tiny calories, went for a walk but what I really want is comfort food.

Replies

• jasper186
    jasper186 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    If your soul needs it DO IT. It sounds like you have so much more on your plate than you should, Just remember that 1 day or even 1 week is not the end of the world. Take a finite amount of time and then get your butt back on track. I hope things get better for you really soon :smile:
  • gbklvr
    Options
    Thank you I am just exhausted and overwhelmed right now. I don't know how to make it ok right now. Does that make sense?
  • Rebeccas_Life
    Rebeccas_Life Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry... your plate is REALLY (figuratively) full :\ Comfort food isn't a bad thing in stressful situations ~ in moderation... not as a long term solution. I hope that you get some rest and relief soon from all that you're facing right now! :heart: :heart:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Eat the M&Ms. I feel mental health is as important as physical health, perhaps moreso.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you're feeling, but I don't think eating is going to give you more than a temporary comfort to an enduring problem. Consider that this is going to set you back a tiny bit on your goal to getting healthy. Why not grab a cup of coffee (decaf at this time of night) and sit in your room to reorganize and replenish yourself? Do you have access to a puppy or a kitten or to a small child? Cuddling something cute might help, too.
  • gbklvr
    Options
    Mental health is important I think and Pokey, I agree it will be temporary and it would send me back but I haven't been at this long enough to figure where to transfer the comfort I get. I don't have pets or kids and hubby is a police officer who due to short man power is working his third double this week. :( part me of me is like you just need a minute to center yourself again.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I suggest trying your best to weather this storm without excess comfort food. When my daughter died, I packed on almost 15lbs in a very short time, just eating to feel better.

Did it help me feel better even one iota? No. I just became fat and sad, instead of just sad.

So I hope you can learn from my mistakes. There are other ways to deal with this - reading a book, hot chocolate/glass of wine in a looong bubblebath, 10 episodes of your favourite show, journaling about your stress (private or public), or using comfort foods in moderation, and staying within your maintenance calories.
  • gbklvr
    Options
    I think I am going to watch Criminal Minds and go to sleep. Thank you for the support! Tomorrow is a new day. Didn't go out for comfort food.
  • ajff
    ajff Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Good job! Sleep often saved me from some challenges when I wanted nothing but sugar!! One way to deal with this next time may be to eat some popcorn (or something else low-cal) and then end with a snack size bag of M&Ms - eaten SLOWLY! With lots of water! This way you get filled up AND you get a bit of a chocolate fix!!

Good luck! Good job taking care of yourself as you take care of everyone around you!
  • lee134
    lee134 Posts: 280 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

exercise.png

Please take it one day at a time. You can get though this.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    Eat the M&Ms. I feel mental health is as important as physical health, perhaps moreso.
    Agreed. This.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    My heart goes out to you and your family.

Your post tells me that you are aware of your triggers. How you choose to deal is up to you. Remember that you are the only one that will beat yourself up over choosing to drown your sorrows in M&M's. Remember to keep track of you doing this especially harsh time. Don't forget to take care of yourself. You can't be there for your loved ones if you don't take care of yourself. It is possible to look out for yourself while you take care of others.

Edit: I read your response after my post. Glad you are looking out for yourself.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    gbklvr wrote: »
    I think I am going to watch Criminal Minds and go to sleep. Thank you for the support! Tomorrow is a new day. Didn't go out for comfort food.

Well done. You have 2 approaches and neither of them is wrong.

1. Stuff happens and a splurge now and then is going to make little difference and might make things easier in the short term. Comfort eating is what we have all done to give us a short term hit. Obviously your priority is worry and concern over your family. Dont panic you can catch up later.
    2. You are starting something and stuff happens all the time, so test your resolve and change your habits becayse you have decided losing the weight is about you and you are important as well. You can compromise have a smaller bag of M&Ms, have a smaller burger or just realise it wont solve the real problems and nor will it get you close to your goal of wanting to lose weight. You are going to have to find a way of separating the weight loss from the tumoil that can be real life and keep focused if you are serious. Eating well overall is likely to give you more energy.

Sorry its so difficult, but you have to think through how you are going to deal with these situations which look long term. Once you start hitting targets and realise you can do it if you apply yourself then you will fight for that weight loss and protect the gains already made. Once you are in control of logging food and managing your calories then you cna put some aside for rainy days from your existing allocation. Your M&M slush fund.

Gratz for finding a non calorie alternative.
    Talking to friends, watching a film, listening to music, having a bubble bath, going for a walk are all alternatives. Get some MFP friends for support and I hope things imporve. Take care.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thank you I am just exhausted and overwhelmed right now. I don't know how to make it ok right now. Does that make sense?

The thing is, a burger and m&ms won't make it ok unfortunately....
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

while a good thought in theory, this would be horrible advice for many. my experience with this is if i allow myself "comfort foods" to combat emotions, it actually has the opposite affect. it will send me into a mental and emotional tailspin, and make me feel exponentially worse.

I know that's not the case for everyone, but nor is it the case for everyone to allow indulgence in comfort foods to numb emotions.

again, i think the quote above is really very bad advice, and would wreak havoc on both mental and physical health.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

The thing is, a burger and m&ms won't make it ok unfortunately....

yep. this.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Think you need to keep it in context. It depends what the op is like. A small bag of M&Ms is unlikely to send everything into a tailspin, but we are all different.

I would just point out if its a one off then eat it dont eat it. Make sure you enjoy it and make sure it doesnt become a habit. I cant be bothered obsessing about food. I think you have to know when to push and when to relax. Its up to the OP to know herself well enough.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. Cliché, I know, but it is the best any of us can do. It is never easy, and stress makes it very difficult sometimes. You have to do what you can to make it through this very difficult time. Just try to remember that you can get all the support, sympathy and words of encouragement here. When my DH had surgery in July, it took most of the day. My DD and I walked around the hospital and outside of the hospital to avoid stress eating. Treats and goodies were provided by the hospital?! in the surgical waiting room. It helped me to get away and just walk.