TIPS

Options
Okay guys! I am really new at all of this yet but if you could give one tip to someone for losing weight what would it be???

I look at these posts and they motivate me so yeah just need advice! \

THANKS!

Replies

• Amie_46
    Amie_46 Posts: 60
    Options
    Commitment and Consistency.

Being committed to making the right choices at (almost) every meal, and being consistent with it.

It doesn't happen over night and there is no huge "secret".

Eat less, move more.
  • kms1981
    kms1981 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Be 100% honest with yourself. If you are snacking or eating and not logging calories, you are not helping yourself at all!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    drink water.
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Log everything and EAT YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Eat Protein first! Cut Soda and drink more water, crystal light, or lifewater/vitaminwater/powerade zero. Limit fast food and processed foods whenever you can!

Then exercise and increase amount of exercise time each week and lower calorie intake and you will be a success!

Go For It, Be Strong and Good Luck!
  • minburke
    minburke Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Be 100% honest with yourself. If you are snacking or eating and not logging calories, you are not helping yourself at all!

Definitely! and drink Water!
  • SiltyPigeon
    SiltyPigeon Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is easy. It's making the decision to lose weight over and over again, every day, several times a day.... THAT is the difficult part.

The only person that can stand in my way is me.... and I can take her!
  • lilac01
    lilac01 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Just because u exercise it doesn't mean you'll lose weight. U need to also change ur eating habits too!! Good luck!
  • BakingGranny
    BakingGranny Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium intake. That can pound on lbs quickly.
  • Tabimiller417
    Tabimiller417 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    seeing yalls weight loss motivates me! =]
  • krissybug72
    krissybug72 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race... there is no quick fix if there were everyone would be thin. :)
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    you will hit plateaus . . . just mix it up a bit, change some diet and exercise stuff and you will make it through
  • l3ugjuice
    l3ugjuice Posts: 233
    Options
    Count your calories, track everything. Try to be as honest and complete as possible. Do as much exercise as you can fit in (within reason: know your limits and what your goals are. If you arent trying to train to run a marathon, then...well...dont train to run a marathon). That's pretty much the main thing, eating fewer calories than you burn. There's other stuff; like watching sodium, keeping a good ratio of calories from fat protein and carbs, watching sodium, watching caffeine, etc....but if you just focus mostly on the calories, you are golden. Drink enough water!

The trick, I've found, is figuring out how to motivate yourself to be diligent about it. For me, I kinda have to obsess over it. I bought a bodymedia monitor and just cant wait to plug it in and look at the data, spreadsheets, etc. But that's just me, I'm kinda a nerd. Do whatever works for you.

Also: dont beat yourself up too much when you get sidetracked, just try to get back on track ASAP
  • Ilovepeppers
    Ilovepeppers Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I did:
    Month one: cut out all fast food completely
    Month two: cut out all soda completely
    Month three: stopped using oil when cooking + started eating meat only once a week
    Month four: measured every break so that there was always more veggies than anything else on the plate (doing this now)

Lost 30 pounds in three months!
  • nenabug
    nenabug Posts: 156
    Options
    Definitely be honest with yourself, do NOT beat yourself if you slide backwards a little. Don't ever give up! It took a lot of time and bad habits developed over time to get where you are. It'll take time to rewire and to get the weight off. Slow and steady is worth it. Celebrate all the individual victories and just keep plugging away. Be positive, remind yourself of the good and believe in yourself. You will get there!!
  • ahadj
    ahadj Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is easy. It's making the decision to lose weight over and over again, every day, several times a day.... THAT is the difficult part.

The only person that can stand in my way is me.... and I can take her!

Best thing I've heard all day!
  • speednut
    speednut Posts: 82
    Options
    1) Log everything you put into your mouth.
    2) Be Honest
    3) Set goals and work toward them
    4) You will have some "off" days, but just try to do better.
    5) If you see a McDonald's...RUN AWAY FAST!
    6) Try to exercise every day, just walking helps.
    7) Drink lots of water.
    8) Visit MFP for lots of support.
    9) Don't get discouraged, you will do it if you focus and win small victories.

GOOD LUCK!
    We were all newbs once.
  • stephierue
    stephierue Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If you log everything everyday you will see your habits slowly change because you are aware of what you are doing. U can't be in denial if the evidence is in front of you( if you're honest about logging). Slow & steady....
  • larisadixon
    larisadixon Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    accountability...take pictures people...
  • Allison4C
    Allison4C Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I've been on here one month tomorrow and it seems to be working so far. Here is my advice:

1. log everything you eat. everyday. always. do you have a smart phone? having the app makes it very convenient.
    2. eat at least 50% of your exercise calories
    3. buy tons of lean meats and frozen veggies and cook at home often.
    4. think ahead when you go out to dinner. do they have a menu online with nutritional info?
    5. don't give up if you eat over your calories occasionally - the next day is a new day
    6. my new drink of choice is vodka soda with lime - 60 cals if you're using 1 oz or 90 cals if you're using 1.5 oz
    7. make friends on here. post your successes and frustrations
    8. buy a food scale
    9. www.skinnytaste.com
    10. veggies veggies veggies
    11. oatmeal oatmeal oatmeal.
    12. no juice or sugary drinks. try minute maid light lemonade (5 cal). drink a lot of water.
    13. take "before" pictures.
    14. take your measurements - some people on here say that when they aren't seeing a difference on the scale, their measurements are still changing, which is encouraging.
    15. don't weigh everyday. weigh once a week at the most, at the same time. naked.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!