Another side stitch!

Options
I successfully completed W5D3 of C25K today(patting myself on the back) but in the last couple of minutes in the 20 minute run I got a bad side stitch. It must have been at about minute 17 or so because I heard the 1 minute left notification a little bit after it started. That last minute of running was pretty painful on my right side underneath my rib cage. During the cooldown I honestly thought I was going to have to call someone to drive me back home, but after about 10 minutes it went away for the most part.
What can I do to decrease my chances of getting side stitches? I got one a week ago on W4D3 also but this one was worse.

Replies

• phil230532
    phil230532 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I had this problem in my younger days from eating a decent size meal too close to running. I like at least 4 hours after a meal before running. My daughters have run 6 marathons and 1 ultra and do the same with no problem. Liquids don't seem to affect our running and we can sip right up to the run.
  • Winchesterfied
    Winchesterfied Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I typically just have a granola bar or something a couple of hours before running. I'm in college and run after classes so I don't really have time for a real meal until after I do my run.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Check the 4th tip on this page.

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/four-ways-stop-dreaded-side-stitch

I haven't tried it, but i've heard it mentioned before. Let us know if it works.