Help with BMR and TDEE

ToriJanee
ToriJanee Posts: 4 Member
edited October 2014 in Getting Started
(I moved this to another area, but can't seem to delete this post!)

I really hope I've got this post in the right area. And as a heads up- I'm sorry for such a basic question. I've recently started to get on the weight loss bandwagon again after a few stressful months of 'accidental maintaining' during a move/uni semester. I've already lost 25+ kilos, but coming back into it all- I'm dreadfully confused as to what numbers I should be working off.

I had someone suggest to me that I use TDEE as a means to calculate my intake- but I was not informed about not counting back exercise calories. Every few weeks I meant to look back into it all and develop a better understanding- but it all continues to go over my head. I'm already quite touch and go with tracking my food intake as I find it a little triggering, but I want to make sure I can have a better general idea.

I was hoping that someone may be able to help offer some guidance as to just how much I should be eating in order to lose the last few pounds.

I'm a 19 year old female (168cm and 67-68kg), and I work out at the gym 2-3 times a week for 50 minutes. I currently suffer from a back injury so I just use the elliptical and stationary bike. I'm on the elliptical for 30 minutes on an level 6-8 incline (it usually comes up to 350 calories on the machine, but I've heard this is inaccurate?), and then on the bike for 20 minutes at a general pace. (Usually 130-150calories)

The other days of the week I attend university where I work on computers for majority of the time. (I study game design, so there's not much choice) but I walk around the campus and around my area in order to get to bus stops and what not. I keep a pedometer on my phone which says on these days I burn around 150 - 210 calories depending on how active I've been.

I'm not quite sure what I should be listing myself as activity wise, so I've plugged in the numbers for a sedentary level. With this, my BMR is 1474 and my TDEE is 1769. I usually eat to 1500- 1600 calories (roughly) a day- and if I burn 200 calories, I'll usually subtract that using myfitnesspal and then eat that back so I can net at 1500/1600.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! I've tried reading through the forums, but unfortunately it all continues to become one big blur and go over my head.

Thanks!

Replies

• SameMe_JustLess
    SameMe_JustLess Posts: 245 Member
    Google Scooby's calculator. You can input your age, weight, activity level, etc. It will tell you your TDEE based on your answers. Then you put that as your goal in MFP and do not eat back any exercise calories. I hope that answers most of your questions. I kinda skimmed! ;)
  • ToriJanee
    ToriJanee Posts: 4 Member
    Thank you so much! For some reason the last time I calculated my TDEE I blanked on the fact it counted your exercise calories already. (I don't know how I managed to.) But this definitely helps!